PDA

View Full Version : first strongman event

WyztaTrjnsFtbll
07-16-2009, 11:41 PM
yes im a strongman rookie.ive got my first strongman event this saturday its gonna be sweet. any tips on preperation as in rest or routines so im ready to go saturday? what warmups should i do before the truck pull? also wut do i need the night before and more importantly the morning of?

Jesse Hernandez
07-16-2009, 11:49 PM
yes im a strongman rookie.ive got my first strongman event this saturday its gonna be sweet. any tips on preperation as in rest or routines so im ready to go saturday? what warmups should i do before the truck pull? also wut do i need the night before and more importantly the morning of?

lol, your competing this saturday and your asking questions 1 day before the meet? a big...WTF bro.

Truck pulls, warmups. Well lets see, you'll need arms and legs. So lets start there.

The night before, you need FOOD,SLEEP and more SLEEP.
The morning of, a GOOD BREAKFAST.

But more importantly, you need to ask these questions way in advance.

mastermonster
07-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Jesse is right! I've only done one of them and that was 2 years ago. I was lucky enough to find a group over in Georgia I got in 2 training sessions with before my meet. They really concentrated on technique with the events that weren't PL events. I ended up 3rd in the Masters but if I'd not gotten at least the small amount of 'education' I did, I would not have been able to set a single stone or get even 1 flip with the 705 lb. tire. People who I killed on the DL event killed me on the tires and Atlas stones. Proper technique means at least as much as strength in Strongman! That being said; take Jesse's short term advice, and good luck. This 1st one will definately let you know what to work on for the next one!

Tom Mutaffis
07-17-2009, 09:15 AM

Good luck in your contest.

Are they offering a Novice Division? Based on your raw strength you should do well, as long as the events are not overly technical.

In terms of warming up for the truck pull you will want to do a total body warmup before all events, but it is especially important to stretch and warm up your calves since they will be under the most stress during this event (as well as upper legs).

Make sure that you bring any and all equipment that you might need, plenty of energy drinks, snacks, etc. and also a couple of different pairs of shoes.

I may put together an article on preparing for a strongman event since it has been a common topic lately.

WyztaTrjnsFtbll
07-17-2009, 11:43 AM
dont worry guys im not asking how to train for a strongman cuz i already have been training. truck pull tire flippin keg carryin trust me. the only one i couldnt do was atlas stones cuz they arent easy to find in the suburbs. thats y i only asked for warmups the night before and morning of. not completely dumb here! one question is will basic athletic shoes like running shoes be okay for the truck pull? cuz i dont have the special shoes for it.

Tom Mutaffis
07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
dont worry guys im not asking how to train for a strongman cuz i already have been training. truck pull tire flippin keg carryin trust me. the only one i couldnt do was atlas stones cuz they arent easy to find in the suburbs. thats y i only asked for warmups the night before and morning of. not completely dumb here! one question is will basic athletic shoes like running shoes be okay for the truck pull? cuz i dont have the special shoes for it.

If you do not have rock climbing shoes then anything with good tread should work. Running shoes are not the best but the most important thing with truck pull is a fast / explosive start - basically everyone moves at the same speed once the truck is rolling so a good start generally makes the difference.