PDA

View Full Version : Question

Trainwreck
07-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I've recently started bulking and following BGB (great results thus far) but I feel that my cardiovascular health is lacking. I've been reading threads about cardio and articles (like Built's 'How to do cardio if you MUST') but I'm still a noob and I'm unsure I'll be able to implement what I've read properly.
What would be the best way for me to continue bulking but increase my overall health and VO2 max without hindering my growth? what type of cardio would be most beneficial and how much of it should I be doing?
As of right now I am 76 inches tall, 219lb @18% and my goal by the end of the year is 220 @10% or lower with a good VO2 max (and by good I really mean not embarrassing.)
Thanks in advance. :read:

Trainwreck
07-18-2009, 10:50 PM
36 hours and still nothing?

Goodwinm
07-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Box Jumps
Box Jumps with sandbag/dumbells/anchor
Short 10-20m Sprints with sandbag/dumbells/anchor
One legged hop box jumps
One legged hop box jumps with any of the above

Quick explosive bursts is what will encourage growth. So any of the above plus

Sled dragging
Sandbag dragging
Sprinting in waist heigh water (awesome)
Sandbag flips for 10-20m

These kind of exercises will trim you supremely and bring your cardio fitness levels very high. But the main thing for me with this kind of training is just to pack on more muscle mass and strength. So you need to be using pretty heavy weights for you to benefit here.

Trainwreck
07-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Cool, thanks a lot man. I'll see whats available and start incorporating these into my routine.

Sensei
07-19-2009, 07:59 AM
If I may, I think a lot of people around here would benefit just as much from long power walks as just about anything else... I mentioned this recently in a similar thread, but even though the trend is toward HIIT and strongman-like events for "gpp", walking and watching what you put in your mouth will go a long way toward making you leaner.

As far as your VO2Max goes, if it is relatively untrained, there are many ways to improve it. MANY.

J.C.
07-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Don't be scared of longer-distance style cardio.

Even if you stick mostly to HIIT training, the occasional long (30min+) piece will greatly benefit you. Even if its just brisk walking.