PDA

View Full Version : First meet...

Virtron
07-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey all,

I was thinking of competing in my first meet. Now, I live in brooklyn, NY. So, I found this one in CT. The Christmas Carnage held by the IPA.

I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna compete in RAW or Geared. Gear seems expensive now =(

Regardless, can someone tell me what I have to look forward to? How does it go?

danmac
07-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey all,

I was thinking of competing in my first meet. Now, I live in brooklyn, NY. So, I found this one in CT. The Christmas Carnage held by the IPA.

I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna compete in RAW or Geared. Gear seems expensive now =(

Regardless, can someone tell me what I have to look forward to? How does it go?

You might have to bench...

Anyway i can't really help, tomorrows my first big comp! I will let you know after.

Sean S
07-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Learn the rules of the organization so there are no big surprises. Start practicing your lifts with commands in the gym. Nothing is worse than missing a lift that is easy because you beat the rack command. Here are a few things to start practicing now.
- make sure you squat to proper depth (video and post it if you need honest feedback)
- hold your squat for a second or two at the top before racking
- practice pausing your benches
- hold the last rep on all bench sets at the top for a second or two
- make sure you aren't hitching your deadlifts (again video if there is any doubt)
- holds your DL's at the top for a few seconds

Good luck and enjoy your first meet.

Virtron
07-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Learn the rules of the organization so there are no big surprises. Start practicing your lifts with commands in the gym. Nothing is worse than missing a lift that is easy because you beat the rack command. Here are a few things to start practicing now.
- make sure you squat to proper depth (video and post it if you need honest feedback)
- hold your squat for a second or two at the top before racking
- practice pausing your benches
- hold the last rep on all bench sets at the top for a second or two
- make sure you aren't hitching your deadlifts (again video if there is any doubt)
- holds your DL's at the top for a few seconds

Good luck and enjoy your first meet.

thanks sounds simple

Illinimeats
07-17-2009, 08:55 PM
I had my first meet in October, NASA Kentucky Regionals. I always thought you had to have the 300+ bench and 400+ squat and deadlift to compete. I am far from those goals right now, but soon I will be in the running. The one thing I found out, no one cares what you can lift; JT always tells me that the courage to step on the platform and lift in front of strangers makes you strong. You will have a good time, learn the rules, open light, and finish strong! Good Luck!

Illinimeats