PDA

View Full Version : I hate Running!!

ThomasG
07-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Endurance that is. What a disgusting and foul exercise from hell!

I ran a 5k today for charity it was the first time I have ran in month's(I do other and superior forms of cardio) For me at least. That **** was embarrassing! A middle aged woman and what looked to be 13 year old kid passed me up. I have never been able to excel in running even when I trained varsity XC in high school. My body is just not made for it. I didn't stop running the whole time I was happy about that. Who else hates endurance running?

Yamar
07-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Why even do it if you hate it? Stick with your "superior" forms of cardio- whatever that may be.

ThomasG
07-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Why even do it if you hate it? Stick with your "superior" forms of cardio- whatever that may be.

It was for charity.

Goodwinm
07-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Endurance running is disgusting.

I love sprints or sprints with heavy objects but long distance running is really just a way to destroy your knees and bore your balls off. Hate it and not because I can't run a mile. I can quite easily without stopping and at a pretty quick pace but I would much rather do 20% of that distance sprinting whilst bear hugging a 200lb sandbag :D

Being able to run 50 miles non stop and look like an anorexic tree is not top of my agenda.

No offense to anorexic trees by the way.

TremL96
07-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't mind it. Sometimes I even like it just as an extra chance to get out of the house and think about things while I jog. The distance I'm not entirely sure, because I jog in woods, so there isn't anything telling me how far each spot is. I can jog for nearly twice as long though if I have a lot to think about rather than focusing on jogging. Kind of funny that it would be that big of a difference though. Then again maybe when I'm thinking about stuff, I might slow down some (can't be a lot).

siuecougar
07-19-2009, 12:41 PM
the only cardio i do that is runnin' is 3 min. sprint 1 min. walk 2 min sprint 1 min walk and 2 min sprint. i wrestle so i only do cardio in wrestling period lengths.

backseatwitme13
07-19-2009, 02:18 PM
the only cardio i do that is runnin' is 3 min. sprint 1 min. walk 2 min sprint 1 min walk and 2 min sprint. i wrestle so i only do cardio in wrestling period lengths.

3 minute sprint?? wtf?

spectralshadow
07-19-2009, 03:03 PM
I use to do endurance running, but stopped a few months ago.

My last endurance run was 5 miles in 46 minutes, which was the first time I had ever went that long, or that far. [My previous run before that was 3.8 miles] I had a lot to think about. =]

Now, I'll just do a quick 8 or 10 minute mile, then a 12 minute mile and call it quits. I'll try to set a new PR for speed every two weeks, so at the moment it's down to 7:23.

It was fun. =]
I do, however, hate running on hard surfaces or a treadmill. Which is all that's around here. ><

dynamo
07-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I used to run 18 miles a clip. Never really minded it. Its just not the most effective exercise for what i want to do.

Adam-7
07-20-2009, 12:52 AM
I like running. I wouldn't say I love it, but I think its kinda relaxing. I put on my music and just zone out.

schmitty199
07-20-2009, 09:27 AM

Multiple 2 minute sprints? Do you mean you just pick up the pace for 2 minutes at a 65-75% pace? Even bigtime track athletes would have trouble with that workout.. if by sprint you truely mean a sprint.

And to the OP, exactly what do you mean by superior forms of cardio? Isnt the main point of cardio(unless your talking about weight loss) to get inshape?

Chubrock
07-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Two minutes of work may be at an all out effort, but it is not a sprint.

muscled
07-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I run every day. I find it puts me in a state of quasi meditation and it relaxes me. I put on some good music and just enjoy. When i first started I was obese and loathed it (pain in ribs, shin splints, chest pains, etc) but over the past 2 years I've built up my cardio. It's a slow process to work up to long runs but well worth the wait for me. It also helps me burn off fat and helps me keep up my endurance at the gym.

Mercuryblade
07-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Sometimes I get into a good trance with my music going and a good pace. Other times I get a side-ache, and get bored as hell as I keep thinking about how much distance I have left to cover.

I also like to run shirtless and see if women are checking me out. They are probably smiling at my dogs though. Still, I'll choose to live in denial.

joey54
07-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Why run anywhere if you don't get to hit someone at the end of it?

siuecougar
07-20-2009, 06:15 PM
3 minute sprint?? wtf?

i apologize hahaha. i mean a hard run. 8.5 mph usually. unless there is an airodyne (sp?) bike. then same concept. hard as i can for 3, short break, then 2, short break, then 2.

siuecougar
07-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Multiple 2 minute sprints? Do you mean you just pick up the pace for 2 minutes at a 65-75% pace? Even bigtime track athletes would have trouble with that workout.. if by sprint you truely mean a sprint.

And to the OP, exactly what do you mean by superior forms of cardio? Isnt the main point of cardio(unless your talking about weight loss) to get inshape?

yeah. my fault. haha

ThomasG
07-20-2009, 07:44 PM
I jump rope, stair step, sprint, and bike in intervals. Sometimes I'll jump rope in endurance mode about 5 mins, jump roping winds you quickly.

jp2
07-21-2009, 10:46 AM
NO!!!!!

thewicked
07-21-2009, 10:52 AM
i just wrote a paper on this exact topic... about how running pretty much blows..

but could potentially be THE thing missing from so many strength athlete's routines that could be the biggest breakthrough in their programs.

Bottom line is better cardio conditioning means your body is better fit to recovery, replenish, and recycle everything that takes place during lifting heavy ****!

i'll be submitting it shortly depending on how my article on stretching fairs.... :thumbup:

suck it up and run boys and girls!!!

Clifford Gillmore
07-21-2009, 04:15 PM
I agree that having good conditioning is the base of a large building block for an efficient athlete, but long distance running is not a good means to an end.

Exercises I would recommend for conditioning;
Prowler Push
Sled Drags
Tire Flips
Tractor Pulls/Car Pulls
Tabata applied to ANYTHING, Running, swimming, sqautting/dips/chins, skipping
Circuts to a degree.

Anything that you can rotate, add resistance too and break PR's often with trumps long distance running. I agree with you, wicked, about the one thing missing from most strength athletes is cardio conditioning (Often focussing on Strength and Speed, negleting the third essential) and its because they think they have to run! I know I had that mindset for a long time, and I wasn't any better for it.

Yamar
07-21-2009, 05:41 PM
I agree that having good conditioning is the base of a large building block for an efficient athlete, but long distance running is not a good means to an end.

Exercises I would recommend for conditioning;
Prowler Push
Sled Drags
Tire Flips
Tractor Pulls/Car Pulls
Tabata applied to ANYTHING, Running, swimming, sqautting/dips/chins, skipping
Circuts to a degree.

Anything that you can rotate, add resistance too and break PR's often with trumps long distance running. I agree with you, wicked, about the one thing missing from most strength athletes is cardio conditioning (Often focussing on Strength and Speed, negleting the third essential) and its because they think they have to run! I know I had that mindset for a long time, and I wasn't any better for it.

Doing the conditioning you mentioned is great. One thing to consider though is your going to achieve a much higher level of conditioning with an aerobic foundation. Anaerobic conditioning can only go so far without a high aerobic capacity. It's akin to building a house on sand.

This is why athlete's train to a concept called periodization. Athlete's such as boxers, MMA fighters and wrestler's can benefit from a solid aerobic foundation. I'm not saying they should go out and train with distance runners but during certain mesocycle's in the context of an entire macrocycle I see no reason why you shouldn't be running 45 min or so minutes per day.

Chubrock
07-21-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not saying they should go out and train with distance runners but during certain mesocycle's in the context of an entire macrocycle I see no reason why you shouldn't be running 45 min or so minutes per day.

Well, for starters, there's the issue of all the strain on the knees, ankles and lower back. I'm also not a big fan of this whole idea that you have to spend time on the black top everyday to become a better (faster) runner.

I do quite a bit of running and have a pretty solid aerobic base. With that said, I very rarely run more than 20-25min at a clip. I've run >40min only twice in the last 6 months. Building a solid aerobic base doesn't have to involve road time.

Yamar
07-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Well, for starters, there's the issue of all the strain on the knees, ankles and lower back. I'm also not a big fan of this whole idea that you have to spend time on the black top everyday to become a better (faster) runner.

I do quite a bit of running and have a pretty solid aerobic base. With that said, I very rarely run more than 20-25min at a clip. I've run >40min only twice in the last 6 months. Building a solid aerobic base doesn't have to involve road time.

Yeah without a doubt. And it depends on your sport. Aerobic exercise doesn't have to mean all running either; you can get in come cycling, swimming etc..

I have been running competetive marathon's for the last 10 years and I can tell you, for that sport,time spent running is the primary component. I ran my best marathons <2:30, when I was averaging 100 MPW, some weeks hitting as high as 120. That's the norm if you want to be competetive at that game.

My general point is that aerobic or "endurance" exercise, can and should have it's place in most athlete's macrocycles(even BB). Just like "thewicked" noted above it could be the missing component for many athlete's. For us non-athlete's my guess is it's best to get a balance of everything. Some intensity, some steady state cardio etc..

Chubrock
07-21-2009, 08:40 PM
I have been running competetive marathon's for the last 10 years and I can tell you, for that sport,time spent running is the primary component. I ran my best marathons <2:30, when I was averaging 100 MPW, some weeks hitting as high as 120. That's the norm if you want to be competetive at that game.

What are your thoughts on the use of shorter interval, tempo and all out effort runs to lower times on longer distance sports? In recent years, guys like Brian Mackenzie (http://www.crossfitendurance.com) have utilized these ideals in preparation for ultra distance marathons and triathlons.

Yamar
07-22-2009, 05:18 PM
What are your thoughts on the use of shorter interval, tempo and all out effort runs to lower times on longer distance sports? In recent years, guys like Brian Mackenzie (http://www.crossfitendurance.com) have utilized these ideals in preparation for ultra distance marathons and triathlons.

There are not any short cuts when it comes to the sport of distance running. I have been around many,many top level runners and the one thing we all shared in common is high mileage. Very high, the higher the better. You will not find any sub 2:30, even sub 2:45 guys doing CrossFit endurance. It's an alternatative way to train, just not the route to full potentail. If your looking for more balance go for it. Like you mentioned time on the pavment has it's drawbacks and not everybody wants to be out runing 80,90,100 MPW. I managed to stay healthy but a male weiging 120 lbs isn't all that attractive on the beach let me just say(which is why I'm in the gym these days:). I have been lifting all along but your not going to build a nice physique running like that.

biggimp
07-23-2009, 01:19 AM
www.mapmyrun.com

i just did my first 3 mile run tonight, did it in 27 minutes :)

i started boxing a couple of months ago so i like to couple my hills/sprints with longer runs since a full length fight will be more than just a couple of minutes of short quick bursts. i have found that i am much more comfortable and i last much longer when i spar now that i have incorporated 2+ mile runs into my routine

ST3VV0
07-26-2009, 05:03 AM
I actually like running? :confused: Is there something wrong with me?

twm
07-26-2009, 10:16 AM
I am supremely jealous of those who can run outside on concrete.. my knees get really inflamed when I run. it takes at least 2 days of icing to recover.. it sucks.

letsdoit
07-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Whether I enjoy running depends on the pace. A 5 mile run at 9:00 a mile feels good. But a 4 mile run at 8:20 a mile sucks big time.

puffydisc
07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I love running! It could be because i run Cross Country at my high school and am pretty good at it :)

shootermcgavin7
08-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I hated running (shin splints + multiple problems) until I started going barefoot.

shansen008
08-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I hated running (shin splints + multiple problems) until I started going barefoot.

Those who cant take the impact of running should try barefoot or try wearing a shoe like the Nike Free or to the extreme the Vibram Five Fingers. Ive disloacted my knee at least 6 times, have had a lateral release on my LCL and currently am fighting a loose meniscus, im a mess! Yet, since ive changed my running style im setting PR's @ 32 years old. The method is simple, youre not using your foots arch to absorb the impact because youre running from heel to toe, transfering all the impact into your skeletal system. If youre in a pair of standard running shoes you cant even help but do it because the heel is so elevated. Hah, the irony. Thats why the heels often have so much cushion in them, yet if youd just run the right way youd realize you dont need cushion in spots that arent supposed to be making such jarring impact. If you run on the balls of your feet, near your toes, your body will use the foots arch as a cushion in conjunction with the calf absorbing some impact as well. Try running one mile this way, it will feel wierd until you get the hang of it...and you may not want to run again for a few days either (soreness in calves!!).

Ill tell you this though, after i got used to running that way i tried going back to heel toe in the middle of a run and got about 2 strides before i immediately switched back. The difference on your body is that noticeable once you start running correctly.

Sorry to be so long winded, i just feel this is a topic of great importance.

a couple links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr2p7Zz6Jy8
http://posetech.com/

shootermcgavin7
08-09-2009, 10:07 PM
]
Sorry to be so long winded, i just feel this is a topic of great importance.

You aren't long-winded, you just addressed many details that I skipped over.

It is pretty obvious we evolved to scramble on barefoot, and to scramble on the balls of our feet. Anything designed to alter that is setting us up for foot/knee/hip injuries.

Like I said (completely ANECDOTAL), I had tons of problems running..........as soon as I went barefoot they disappeared completely.

heathj
08-10-2009, 01:03 AM
5k is not endurance...

Yeti Sandwich
08-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I love the runner's high I get after a long run. I enjoy running through neighborhoods and admiring the varying architecture as I go from street to street. I'll get in a zone and do a lot of thinking/daydreaming, and when I'm feeling stressed, a run allows me to get away and de-stress.

MarkM
08-14-2009, 10:13 AM
it sucks, I'd much rather ride my bike

Ryumexicano
08-14-2009, 11:54 AM
I love running. :) Too bad that after running for a few months, my knees start to hurt :( Both of my knees hurt really bad after like 3 months of running. It's very fun though when you have your favorite songs in your ipod run. I recommend running outdoors. Nothing compares! Treadmill...................THAT'S BORING!

Abe Froman
08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Theres nothing i hate more than running. I can do any other kinds of cardio for an hour but after running for 10 minutes I feel like I'm gonna die.

Sensei
08-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Running blows.

I'll take 20-30 minutes of kettlebell snatches over any distance of running any day. Running hills or stairs is the only kind of running I can stand.

8rVZpwFhMSo

spectralshadow
08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Was about to hit my first ever 5 minute mile [partial uphill partial flat] yesterday... on the last 2/6th of the mile I got such a severe runner's cramp that I couldn't breathe.

Made me so mad. =|

Yamar
08-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I love the runner's high I get after a long run. I enjoy running through neighborhoods and admiring the varying architecture as I go from street to street. I'll get in a zone and do a lot of thinking/daydreaming, and when I'm feeling stressed, a run allows me to get away and de-stress.

Ahhh, I can relate.

PoundingPlates
09-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I run occasionally, most of the time I can enjoy it. I also run 5K's for charities a couple times a year. You get some exercise, its for a good cause, and there's usually lots of food at the end:evillaugh: (plus usually a t-shirt too)

enjoisht
09-21-2009, 09:42 AM
sometimes i hate running...but i tell ya what, for cardio in the mornings i can get on the elyptical for 30 minutes and sweat a little and feel ok after my weights....when i run 30 minutes even on a treadmill at 6mph i am sweating a bucket and feel like i have just shed calories after my weight session is over...so yes i dont like it (because its harder) but it works so much better then most "cardio" type machines...

ThomasG
09-21-2009, 12:38 PM
sometimes i hate running...but i tell ya what, for cardio in the mornings i can get on the elyptical for 30 minutes and sweat a little and feel ok after my weights....when i run 30 minutes even on a treadmill at 6mph i am sweating a bucket and feel like i have just shed calories after my weight session is over...so yes i dont like it (because its harder) but it works so much better then most "cardio" type machines...

If your goal is calories then there are superior types of cardio than slow distance running.

Try sprints with walking rest intervals and Jump roping with side shuffle rest intervals.

Y2A
10-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm ok with running, I've finished 2 marathons (at a slow pace, admittedly). Running a lot will get me pain in my knees though. I just ran 5k this past Sunday since I'll be doing one for charity at the end of the month. I just wanted to get a couple of practice runs in.

Astreocclu
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
As a football player i only run sprints, which is good because i absoutley HATE long distance runs, and by that i mean anything over 400meters. I would love if i could do some prowler work but there isnt one at my school and ill be to poor for awhile. Im looking into getting some tires for flipping but havent been able to locate any yet

accuFLEX
12-20-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't mind a good 5km run or the occasional 10km.

The longer runs are hard, but I find it relaxing in a way.

I didn't really find it interfering with my lifts (I oly lift) as much as some people hype it: "OMG RUNING EATS UR MUSSELS COMPLETELY LOL111". I compare it to people who wake up in the middle of the night to eat because they're afraid they'll lose muscle mass.

Sure, my leg strength went down a bit, but I find running more then makes up for it by keeping my body loose.

Magilla
12-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Charity runs are fun b/c everyone is giving of themselves. In the past I ran 5k, 10/K and did some tris and the part I loved was about 5 minutes b/4 the start and 10 minutes into it the run. The energy from all those people was great.

Now, I don't run some much. Just not in my current goals.

lawndarts
12-29-2009, 10:01 AM
I have a circuit I like to do that consist of 10 tire flips, 10 "box" jumps onto the tire, 10 incline push ups with feet on the tire, and 10 jumping jacks. I always puke on the second or third circuit. It's great!

ThomasG
05-30-2010, 11:00 AM
5k is not endurance...

Ok is it anaerobic? What energy system are you using?

BigTallOx
11-19-2010, 10:31 AM
The only time I run is when I have heavy weight on my back or in my hands or I'm pushing it or pulling something BIG. Otherwise it's just a way to loose muscle.

Codeguru
11-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, running is possibly the most high impact least worth it exercise I can think of. Plus dogs bark at you and chase you at times. When I started losing weight running was one of the first things I tried, and one of the only reasons I eventually gave up exercising outside the house. When I started back up, I decided walking with weights was the best way to go. The main focus was staying in perfect posture and gait, and getting used to walking like I had no extra weight on. Now that I have been doing it for months now, I really enjoy it. Running just seems to ruin what could otherwise be a pleasant day outside taking in some healthy sunshine and fresh air plus working out your muscles constantly in an enjoyable manner. Obviously, you're going to burn more calories running around all day, but are you going to do it every day for the rest of your life? For the rest of the month even? My answer for walking is yes...

Codeguru

mastermonster
04-04-2011, 02:07 PM
I was a miler in High School. Best was a 4:55 mile. I weighed about 180 when I graduated. Didn't do any more distance running than was required for football through college. Didn't really mind it then. After FB was over I ran a 10K on a bet with one of the runners at the gym where I was training. Ran it in 42:44 and beat him by 11+ minutes. I hadn't run in about 6 months when I did that. I was always good at it. But never really got all fired up about it. Even in H.S. I ran the mile because Coach Reeves said "you're my miler"; so I was his miler! Now at 270 and still 5'10" I only run when my wolf gets out of our back yard and I have to 'TRY' to chase him down (I chase him til he let's me catch him). My nieghbors freak when he get out occasionally. They just don't know what a big 'baby' he is! LOL!

colinS3
04-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I like running but I'm not exactly built right for it. I'm bow-legged and I have almost no arch so I get injured a lot if I push things too hard too soon into the season. The frustrating part is that I could be one of the top guys if I could just keep training. The injuries always hold me back though.

Some people are saying that running is horrible for your knees and all this stuff... but I don't see how. Unless you've already experienced a knee injury of some sort, or you're extremely inflexible, then running should be much less stressful on your knee than a heavy squat. I mean, sure, the first 2-3 weeks of running is going to suck for anybody who's out of shape. But after that your body begins to build up the endurance and all the muscles you're using get stronger (for running, not for lifting) so you hardly feel tired on a moderate run. Now that I think about it, it may also be something related to form, which I could also understand. If you're just not built for it then getting hurt from it would make sense.

I'm going to keep up the running after High School even though I won't be on a team. I'll spend most of my time lifting and building up my leg strength, but once I've hit a comfortable level I'll slowly begin to run again. I'll probably try to go with some shoe that simulates barefoot running because I've heard plenty of people tell me how much better that is for your body.

gazh1983
04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Before I went into the military I used to run in 5 and 10k races. Wasnt exceptional but I was doing 30miles plus a week. When you run that much you do get a weird fix from running, much like you do from weights (endorphins).

Anyway the interesting thing is how learning proper technique makes a big difference. It's not justa case of putting one foot in front of the other you can break each stridw down into about 6 different stages.

And guess who wrote the definative book, Dr MIchael Yessis. A guy Louie Simmons has worked with I believe who is also heavily inflluenced by Russian methods. I beleive he MAY have invented the glute ham raise also. Anyone interested see his book "Performance running" I beleive it's called very good.

krazylarry
04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I got a 48 resting heart rate and I don't run. My coaches don't even tell me to during warmups any more. "Every one jog. Ugh, Larry just shadow box..."

Bosshogg300
04-05-2011, 06:22 AM
for me its a real love hate relationship, i played 3 sports in highschool and 2 in college and thats the only reason i ran i dont care to go out and run miles apon miles i run 1 mile to 1.5 miles when i do which is twice a week on my off days and i play b-ball aswell but i only run still so i am in shape for my physical fitness test for police exams, but if it came down to it id rather do a whole bunch of sprints instead of distance runs which i hate

Invain
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
I had the fastest 100 and 200m times on our team in high school and one of the slowest mile times. I literally can't run more than 400m or so before I have to stop and puke. Cardio for me I involves anything over 5 reps in the weight room.

theBarzeen
04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I work like a crocodile.... I'll do a few sprints, especially with the prowler or a sled.... but nothing anywhere near a jog or distance running

the only reason I'll ever run outside of strongman training is if I'm chasing the ice cream truck

barryisawinnah
04-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I got out of the Marines in the beginning of December. Was in for 5 years, so I have ran my share of long distance (usually 3-5 miles, more often than not 3 though). I absolutely hated it. I was decent at it, when I wanted to put out I was doing 3 miles in 20-21 minutes but hated it. So glad I don't have to do that shit anymore. Have put on 20lbs since December, quite a bit of it clean too(not all of it, lol) from cutting that shit out.

Niko_El_Piko
04-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I had the fastest 100 and 200m times on our team in high school and one of the slowest mile times. I literally can't run more than 400m or so before I have to stop and puke. Cardio for me I involves anything over 5 reps in the weight room.

hahaha totally agree.

IŽd rather do complexes with barbell o dumbell in terms of conditioning/fat loss, with some low % cardio.

Sorry the I missed the quote up there...

5K is ok. It all depends on you HR % over a period of time, rather than distance speaking of cardio "per se".

KoSh
04-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I recently added 20-25 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week into my powerlifting routine. I find that I physically feel better, and I've only been doing it for a few weeks.

Granted, I'm doing elliptical and stair master work... Not running... But once the weather breaks I'm sure I'll go for at least one run a week.

Tamaon
05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Interval work for me- rope skipping, sprinting, or sledgehammer work. I hate running.