PDA

View Full Version : how do you "eating freaks" balance 6 meals a day with life?

AJ_H
07-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Just wondering. Say if you were to go to your relatives for a week or so, obviously "normal" people don't have this amount of food, and it would be rude to consume such a quantity on two levels. One that it would be expensive for the household owners, and two... well other people perceive "eating like a pig" as disgusting to watch, etc. etc. So how would you guys balance this sort of issue.

dynamo
07-18-2009, 10:57 AM
I just avoid people. Sometimes I shoot for shakes too, but I am trying to get away from that. Sometimes I don't even have time for 6 meals, I usually miss breakfast all together so I have a big lunch then I go lift after work and I come home and eat more then an hour before bed I eat some more. So I will have 3 big meals and the nice thing about the last two, people are already getting ready for bed or whatever people do when the sun goes down. If im eating other peoples food I keep it on the DL though. You know, sometimes they offer me a sandwich and I want to say no bc one I hate white bread and two a sandwich with about a lb of meat is just about right. But I suck it up and just have a useless meal in the middle of my day. I like to eat on my own really. Most people are so damn carb heavy and it pisses me off. I mean theres no reason to have a meal with one chicken breast mashed potatoes corn and some rice like concoction. Just give me 4 chicken breasts, some green beans, and half a gallon of water and I will be happy.

Trainwreck
07-18-2009, 11:10 AM
If you have to go then just buy your own food or if you're eating a lot of theirs leave them some money for it. Most people won't notice the amounts you eat if you've got a good physique, and if they do then they make no comment about it because it clearly isn't turning you into a pig.

AJ_H
07-19-2009, 07:48 AM
I just avoid people. Sometimes I shoot for shakes too, but I am trying to get away from that. Sometimes I don't even have time for 6 meals, I usually miss breakfast all together so I have a big lunch then I go lift after work and I come home and eat more then an hour before bed I eat some more. So I will have 3 big meals and the nice thing about the last two, people are already getting ready for bed or whatever people do when the sun goes down. If im eating other peoples food I keep it on the DL though. You know, sometimes they offer me a sandwich and I want to say no bc one I hate white bread and two a sandwich with about a lb of meat is just about right. But I suck it up and just have a useless meal in the middle of my day. I like to eat on my own really. Most people are so damn carb heavy and it pisses me off. I mean theres no reason to have a meal with one chicken breast mashed potatoes corn and some rice like concoction. Just give me 4 chicken breasts, some green beans, and half a gallon of water and I will be happy.

Whilst I agree carbs are not as important as protein for weight gaining related purposes, they are probably much more significant than you make them out to be. I don't especially like the taste of most carbs either - bread, rice, pasta, all potato types except for chips, wedges and roast potatoes - aren't exactly my favourite type of food. But I try to scoff them down none the less.

Avoiding people to get the calories down seems like the obvious alternative thanks. Most people do however notice that I eat ... irregularly, and most comment, either saying that I willget fat (but it has not happened for the year or two I have been eating in the way I have) or that they are surprised I'm not fat yet. The same story over and over again starts to tire me, and increasingly I find that it is other people that make it harder and harder to get the right calorific consumption possible.:(

Unreal
07-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't eat 6 times a day. Makes it easy.

AJ_H
07-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't eat 6 times a day. Makes it easy.

qft.

it's just easier to get the extra calories down your neck, rather than forcing it down in three sittings, or at least I find...

malkore
07-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Shakes and bars. a week long trip seems like a good time to try Novus bars.

Mercuryblade
07-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Just wondering. Say if you were to go to your relatives for a week or so, obviously "normal" people don't have this amount of food, and it would be rude to consume such a quantity on two levels. One that it would be expensive for the household owners, and two... well other people perceive "eating like a pig" as disgusting to watch, etc. etc. So how would you guys balance this sort of issue.

Depends on the event. At my family events or my girlfriends family, usually there are a lot of leftovers, usually the host doesn't want eat the same thing for the next week, so they are usually grateful to have my bottomless pit of a stomach help eat. I never take the last serving of anything and try to eat more of the things people are avoiding.

But I generally wouldn't behave like that at other events, and I usually will eat something beforehand if I don't know the host well, and don't know how much food will be available.

BFGUITAR
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
I would never eat 6 times a day. I am too lazy for that lol. I just eat when I am hungry and stop when I am satisfied.

brihead301
07-20-2009, 11:00 AM
After a while it all just becomes habit. I don't avoid being social though. If my friends are going out to a diner or something like that, then I go. I just order some good ol- high protien/high fat, low carb meal. Also, it never hurts to walk around with beef jerkey and almonds in your pocket!

As for avoiding foods, well just say no, lol.

ZenFitness
07-20-2009, 01:17 PM
If you are going to visit relatives then just hit the store when you get there. Buy whole wheat bread, tuna, mayonnaise, and pickle relish. Eat tuna sandwiches in between meals. Add some eggs too if you like, hard boiled.

Another alternative is just to lower your caloric intake during that timeframe which will translate to eating less temporarily.

(p.s. this all coming from a non-eating freak)

anonymous1
07-20-2009, 08:25 PM
There is no point in inconveniencing yourself to eat at a generalized time interval. Just eat all the food you need, in a relatively consistent way.

VikingWarlord
07-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I would never eat 6 times a day. I am too lazy for that lol. I just eat when I am hungry and stop when I am satisfied.

What a novel concept.

Justin Ryan
07-22-2009, 08:32 PM
I usually eat between 5~7, I have classes from 12~4 though with a 15 minute break at 2. I guess I kindof just do it, or I don't. I also usually keep a box of nutrigrain or protein bars in my car, so if i'm not doing so good on the food that day I can just eat a bar and get a small meal out of the way. And during my break I always haul down to the foodcourt to get a sub or something with high protien and scarf it down.

My girlfriends dad always calls me the worm, because we'll all eat together around 7, then I'll eat the leftovers around 8, and usually have a snack again around 10 before i go to bed.

And my cousins/relatives all call me hoover ( like the vacuum) They say I suck down all the food.

It gets quite annoying really. But then I can look at them and see them not in shape, and I am, and that makes me happy, and hungry

samadhi_smiles
07-23-2009, 09:49 AM

thats how I roll to. It depends every day on what I'm doing (if I'm more active I'll eat a ton more carbs). Usually on weekends I'll eat a bunch of carbs (like 400+ grams/day).

Eating 3-4 times a day is much healthier for you in terms of insulin sensitivity. Insulin is the most anabolic hormone known to man!

anonymous1
07-23-2009, 07:05 PM
This is the only place where people actually understand that the 6 meals or eating every 2-3 hours thing has no effect on body composition. It's really completely useless, unless you have digestive or blood sugar issues.

AJ_H
07-24-2009, 10:48 AM
^again, I understand that but its just easier to get the extra calories down the neck with 6 meals well for me at least. Anyway eating 3 huge meals isn't necessarily more convenient...