PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Meals on a Budget

dd2000
07-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi all,

I have the problem of heavily overspending at the grocery store b/c I never have set meals and plans for the week. I'm wondering if anyone know of the cheapest healthiest meals to make for dinner which involves good sources of protein. I don't want to bulk (looking to gain lean muscle), I just want clean food on a budget. Any suggestions?

Thanks

malkore
07-20-2009, 09:33 AM
bag of brown rice
bag of potatoes (good for bulking at least)
lots of veggies/fruits/produce
frozen chicken breasts
chicken breasts (still on the bone w/ skin - awesome for grillin)

shop the meat dept. on the right days and you can get markdowns on stuff that needs to be cooked that day. buy it, cook it, freeze it individually and thaw later in the week as needed. We try to cook half the weeks' meals on Sunday. More efficient for time and cleanup.

ZenFitness
07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
One thing you can do is get frozen veggies and fruit and make shakes out of them.t

Example: this weekend I made a shake with 2% milk, edamame, spinach, a banana, and blackberries. All the stuff except the milk and banana was frozen. You can get frozen produce ultra cheap, and it goes great in a mix like this (a little earthy, but the berries will sweeten it). You can throw in all kinds of stuff, green beans, mangos, etc... all frozen.

Granted, if you want more protein, then you need to keep that in mind (i.e. the edamame has protein but it is not off the charts). But you can do all this stuff relatively cheap and get good calories and a much healthier choice than many alternatives.