PDA

View Full Version : Bench PR with video

BigTallOx
07-18-2009, 03:33 PM
It's been a while since I've benched straight weight to the chest, but I did this morning and benched 385, about a 20 pound PR. The bar stops for a second, but I think it's good enough for a gym PR, lol.

SJut-gyKcEo

I have been working on arching more, but I find it much easier to set up my arch raw. I haven't figured out how to really arch any significant amount in my shirt. Any advice will be appreciated.

Detard
07-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Damn ox, you have a long arm stroke. That was really sick bro, good job. Congrats on the big PR!

Ryano
07-18-2009, 05:12 PM
You aren't arching much at all. Your belt is to high(restricting your arch) and to loose. As tall as you are, I would recommend setting your ass in place first, then use the uprights to push your shoulders as close to your ass as possible. Set your shoulders down on your traps, with your shoulders as low(toward your waist) as possible. With long legs, you will have to get your feet out as wide as possible to prevent your ass from coming up, while pressing your heels down during the press. If you press off your toes, your ass will come up.

Brian Hopper
07-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Congrats on the PR!!!

Lones Green
07-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, you're going to have to find a better way to setup rather than just lying down on the bench.

c7NRwF9KWIY

Watch how Ryan sets up. Puts his wrists on the bar, arches hard, and keeps his belly up. Gets his shoulder blades set and then sets his feet. Try something like that. Anything other than just plopping down on the bench, really...

BigTallOx
07-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah, you're going to have to find a better way to setup rather than just lying down on the bench.

Watch how Ryan sets up. Puts his wrists on the bar, arches hard, and keeps his belly up. Gets his shoulder blades set and then sets his feet. Try something like that. Anything other than just plopping down on the bench, really...

Thanks for the link to the video. I'll try my wrists on the bar like that. Raw, I lay back, grab the bar and pull my shoulders up, arch and then set my upper body down keeping my back arched. But in a shirt I can't do that. Maybe I'd be able to with my wrists like that. Thanks.

fulldaddy
07-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Great job BTO. I imagine your rack height it that low because you are training with a few people who aren't as gifted in the "rock em, sock em, robot" department? It is cool to watch your progress. Keep rocking

BigTallOx
07-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Great job BTO. I imagine your rack height it that low because you are training with a few people who aren't as gifted in the "rock em, sock em, robot" department? It is cool to watch your progress. Keep rocking

My training partners would rather do the 3 person lift off than keep raising and lowering the rack. It doesn't matter to me either way.

fulldaddy
07-19-2009, 02:41 PM
if I was working out with you I'd do the same thing. I can't wait to see you hit 400. Keep rocking man.

BigTallOx
07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I can't wait to see you hit 400.

I'll find out soon, but I really think at the meet coming up ( after a good week of rest ) I'll get 400+, especially after now I know I can get 385 after lots of volume that session and feeling a little beat up lately from everything else I've been doing.

bencher8
07-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but the kenelly vid is one of the most impressive strength feats I have ever seen. Setup, bar path, technique, were perfect....when I think of a perfect rep, that lift is what i think of.

Adam-7
07-20-2009, 12:50 AM
That was really great. Your rep was so smooth and controlled.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Congratulation on your bp pr! Also, your descend was very slow. Maybe try pulling the bar down so it will reach your chest faster.

Darracq
07-20-2009, 09:43 AM
I have someone push my shoulders towards my feet, try to bring the bar down faster and you look like you have zero leg drive.

vdizenzo
07-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Great job with the pr.

robchris
07-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Ox,

Awesome work brother!!! Longest bench stroke I've seen...

Notorious
07-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Can't you raise the bar so that you don't have to unrack it so low? Just unracking the bar for you is a larger ROM than a lot of people's entire bench.

Good job though!

BigTallOx
07-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Can't you raise the bar so that you don't have to unrack it so low? Just unracking the bar for you is a larger ROM than a lot of people's entire bench.

My training partners would rather do the 3 man lift off for me than raise/lower the rack. It doesn't make a difference to me.