PDA

View Full Version : Should I just say f**k it and go for it?

Alyion
07-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Anyways first post (and what a first post!)

Im currently HELLA skinny (6 feet 2 and 144 pounds), and 21 years old and currently doing the stronglifts routine.

Obviously I wanna bulk up but I don't know if I should just go on a crazy rippetoe GOMAD-style bulk or try and keep a clean calorie surplus, I figure given the routine im on, coupled with my stats I could probably pull off a big 1-2 month bulk (putting on a good 2-3 pounds a week) and then simply lose the fat later - im frustrated at being so skinny.

On the other hand though I wanna gain more muscle than fat for obvious reasons so I don't know if such an idea will ultimately just be a waste of time

Opinions?

Big Jay
07-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Everyone will have a different view on this
just personal preference.
I personally know how frustrating it is being that skinny.... I was an inch shorter and nearly 20 lbs lighter. When you’re that skinny, gaining 1 lb a week is too slow and you can get discouraged. I did a hardcore bulk and put on 50 lbs in less than 4 months. I did gain some fat around my stomach, but filled out my whole frame to where I wasn’t self conscious while wearing just a t-shirt (which i used to be).
If I were you I’d go for 3 lbs a week for like 2 months... put on like 20-25 lbs. Then slow it down.
But its all down to whatever you’re comfortable with.

ZenMonkey
07-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Im usually conservative with dietary alottments so here's my take on it:

Start with a 600 calorie bulk and dedicate those calories to whole milk (that is 1 liter of milk a day in addition to your daily calories, some of which should be milk). Track your progress and keep adding milk by the cup or 2 cups or whatever until you gain at your desired rate.

platypus
07-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I was 6'0'' 130lbs, went on a dirty bulk. I honestly didn't count a single calorie, and just ate as much as I could find. Started taking the bako shake too. In probably three months I gained 32 lbs. And in all honesty, I don't really have any fat hanging around. Just like big jay said, you'll just look a lot more filled out and less self concious. Just make sure you lift hard when you start this bulk. You'll make some good gains eating that much.

hintsas5
07-19-2009, 07:48 PM
i agree with a few of these posts. Honestly if you are that skinny already, i dont think you will have to worry about fat too too much.

I would try to put on weight fast, but not by eating complete crap either tho. you dont want to just eat junk after junk after junk. Try to keep a lot of the foods healthy, and just eat huge meals 4-5x a day, then do it before you go to bed.
Remember you can always slow down later on if you think you are putting on some fat. But to start i would just shoot for say 4000 cals a day, see where you are after 2 weeks, and go from there.

left hook
07-19-2009, 08:26 PM
I never bulked dirty and try to eat clean while adding weight but if you want that extra slice of pizza or a milkshake here and there go for it, but I wouldn't go nuts from what I hear people who dirty bulk say they always get to fat then just have to cut even more.

getting_big
07-21-2009, 02:22 AM
I know where you are coming from mate. The danger in going for the quick fix is that it can burn you out. Every time I tried to go hard and fast, I ended up eating so much crap that I felt like s**t all the time. When I started training seriously I managed to stick with my routine religiously for 18 months and all I focused on was small incremental improvements every day.

The old story of 'slow and steady wins the race' is what usually works best

brihead301
07-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Patience is a virtue.

What I would do if I was you is:

1.) Train HARD as hell. Focus on consistently increasing your lifts and keeping good form. Never skip a workout.
2.) Eat good foods and eat a lot of it! Don't try to gain a lot of weight really quickly, just keep eating a lot and lifting and understand that consistency will yeild the long-term results.