PDA

View Full Version : Finally a powerlifter... about time

BFGUITAR
07-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Well I just had my first meet yesterday in the 90kg class. I competed with just wraps and belt. My singlet ended up just being a squat suit meant for 260lb people lol. I don't know how often people have smooth meets but problems started the night before and continued. The guy I was sharing a room with snored the ENTIRE NIGHT. I didn't fall asleep until 3-4am and woke up at 7:15. I wasn't feeling the greatest but a nice dose of caffeine helped alleviate this. Here are my numbers:

Squat

During the warmups... I started with one plate and then two. On the two plate squat I went down and it felt like someone took a knife to my left knee (actually just 1-2 inches below my knee cap). I have never felt such intense pain in my knee before despite having problems. I didn't know if I should continue. I thought great... first meet and I am injured before I even step on the platform. I wrapped them up tightly and that somewhat helped. I have a feeling that I have to always be squatting to keep my knees fresh. Taking 1.5 weeks off any squatting was a horrible idea. Now I know before a meet to do body weight squats or something for my knees.

330- 3 whites. Easy as can be... I just wanted to get a lift in as it was my first time. Some woman yelled out "put some weight on the bar!!!". It was funny

352- 3 whites. Easy.

374- 3 whites easy. I had another 25lbs in me I feel. My squats probably had the most changes over the past few months so I was being modest. But still my best squat before this was 380x2 with horrible technique. This was good technique and fast and just about ATG.

At the end of this both my knees were sore. I was hoping the pain would go away by the time deadlifts rolled around.

Bench
203- 3 whites, easy

220- 3 whites, easy

242- 3 reds. Got 3/4 of the way up and failed. I don't know what happened as I have repped this for 3 in the gym. I am quite pissed off with myself.

I know my bench sucks. It's actually quite embarrassing.

Deadlift

Deadlifts didnt seem to bother my knees too much... so I went ahead.

403- 3 whites, easy

424- 3 whites. A bit slow but fine

441- 3 reds. I got the bar well above my knees but I couldn't get my hips in. Very pissed off with this as well. I hit this in the gym with a little hitch so I thought this would be no problem. I have a feeling I was drained from the squatting and benching... who knows.

Next meet is in 5-6 weeks. I will be using a squat suit for this meet which will help me a lot I feel. I have nothing to really be happy about with this meet aside from making it out with decent numbers. There is always next time.

Jesse Hernandez
07-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Great work, i bet your itch'n to find another meet for next week! there that addicting!

BFGUITAR
07-19-2009, 11:09 PM
It was a lot of fun. If my knees weren't crying then yes for sure lol.

Cricket_Fire
07-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Dude if you hit that deadlift in the gym with a hitch, it's not surprising you couldn't hit it during a full meet! Meets are freaking tiring hahaha

You're in London right? Where did you compete?

BFGUITAR
07-19-2009, 11:38 PM
This was in Ottawa at an open. I am competing in Ottawa next month though. Are you coming? Sarnia is too close to pass this up!

You are probably right. I just felt like I could do it.

Cricket_Fire
07-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Dude 7 hours is a long freaking drive! I just got back from a meet myself in NY which was a 7 hour drive.. I think the my back is tighter from the driving than the meet lol. The only "lifting money" I have left to spend will be going toward a cambered bar and a trip to Westside in a couple weeks haha. Plus I don't think they'd like my double ply open back rage-x or my double briefs at an OPA meet :D

We should get a session in some time this summer

BFGUITAR
07-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Yeh it was a long drive. But still I wanted to get those two lifts! lol

And a session this summer sounds great. I would like to visit your gym sometime.

fulldaddy
07-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Congratulations and good luck at your next meet.

Jonah
07-20-2009, 07:57 AM
nice job

Guido
07-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Wait, you did 380x2 in the gym with horrible technique and you only went for 374 on your 3rd attempt? I'm with that one lady - put some weight on the bar! It looks like you were a bit more aggresive with your bench and DL attempts, though which is good.

Congrats on putting it out there and competing, too. Now go kill it at your next meet! :thumbup:

Sensei
07-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Nice work! Upward and onward!

Brian Hopper
07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Congrats on your first meet!!!

BFGUITAR
07-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Wait, you did 380x2 in the gym with horrible technique and you only went for 374 on your 3rd attempt? I'm with that one lady - put some weight on the bar! It looks like you were a bit more aggresive with your bench and DL attempts, though which is good.

Congrats on putting it out there and competing, too. Now go kill it at your next meet! :thumbup:

The 380x2 I don't think was depth. But yes I do need to put more weight on the bar!

BigTallOx
07-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Good job.

bluelew
07-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Congrats! I guess it's like swimming. Once you jump in the water's ok- it's just getting in. Just protect that fret hand.

Ryan Celli
07-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Nice work brother!!!

This is why I laugh when guys say they do such and such in the gym. Until you do it on the platform, it doesn't count. It is not easy hitting what you are capable of on the platform. So many factors come into play. Travel, sleep, food, different equipment, stress, pressure.....ect.

I think you did great and you will make huge progress now that you competed!! In a full meet too!!! Nice work.

Ryan

Tim K
07-20-2009, 01:46 PM
First meet - you did good! You got out there, put some numbers up, and got that dreaded first time on the platform done and over with. Good luck with your next meet!