PDA

View Full Version : Atkins, Losing Muscle?

BHS
07-19-2009, 11:25 PM
I've searched "atkins" since I remember there were lots of topics about atkins but I couldn't find the answer that I am looking for.

Here's my question.. I've been talking to my cousin today about Atkins diet. He has been on atkins for a month and he lost around 20 pounds and he recommended it to me since I love meat, eggs and fish. My goal is to lose around 15 pounds. Nothing that big. So I'm thinking to go for atkins diet for two weeks but I spoke with one of my friend and he told me that atkin diet makes people to lose muscle and that's why its so effective and for fast results.

Is it true? Does Atkins really make lose muscles instead of fats therefore, its a quick method to lose weight? Because while I'm doing Atkins diet for two weeks, I also want to work out and do cardio.. I'll be going to gym at least 5 times a week.. Does anybody ever try out atkins while going to gym? Any results?

Holto
07-20-2009, 01:36 PM
A great deal of the weight you lose during carb depletion is glycogen. When you get back to a healthy diet, all this weight returns. For this reason there is no advantage to the atkins diet.

Atkins is garbage IMO. I didn't get past day 2.

The only relevance of carb control IMO, other than carb cycling, is to control hunger.

ZenFitness
07-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I am no expert, but I would scrap Atkins or any other fad diet. Instead, work out like you are doing (including cardio for sure) and eat better and eat less. Count your calories and keep them under or at 2000.

I am of the opinion that dieting is 99% mental. You are in the process of reprogramming your subconcious stimulus-response programming. For example, you may "feel" like you want to eat because you are hungry, or you could be bored. You could be depressed. You could be all kinds of things. But when you want to eat and it is a consuming thought, think about *why* you are wanting to eat. Reprogram your mind and its response to stimuli. Diet is about life change even if you are just cutting 15 pounds (in my opinion). You will gain muscle from working out as well which will cause some weight gain (muscle being heavier than fat).

I should also say that I believe in a slower diet... it took me a year to lose 30 lbs (from 230 to 200). I saw 15 lbs. fall off pretty quick in a couple of months, but the last 15 lbs. took some time. I did not change my diet except to eliminate snacks on my commute home (which were terrible... jalapeņo cheetohs and caffeinated drinks like soda and Red Bull) and to restrict my caffeine to two 8 oz. cups of coffee and only before 9 AM). I also fell off the wagon around Thanksgiving and had to do some make up for about 5 lbs.

In the end, however, I feel much better and my mindset towards hunger and eating is different. The whole process of course feeds itself, too... you feel better and look better and so eating better to continue that is a self-enforcing activity. But it will still require work even in the end.

I'm an amateur, however, so I could be wrong in any of this, but this is my own life experience.

getting_big
07-21-2009, 02:17 AM
Atkins is crap - very unhealthy. Pretty much every doctor will tell you that. It was one of the biggest hyped up diets in history and everybody fell fro it because of the short term results.

It creates a massive amount of acid in your body. Yes, you will weigh less on a scale, but I don't think it actually gets rid of fat. Also, it will make you SOOOO tired and lifeless. I'm no doctor, but I would not recommend it.

jp2
07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
A good friend of mine did this for about 3 weeks, ya he lost some weight, but he said he felt terrible after the first week.....very little energy and had terrible workouts in the gym, and it also affected his concentration/memory etc. I was considering trying this diet until he told me all the side effects. In my opinion, just eat healthy and do lots of cardio. It's really crazy how fast weight can fall off when you start running.