PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch from F6 to Super Katana?

jmccown
07-20-2009, 08:04 AM
After doing some research I am now considering switching from an F6 to the new Super Katana bench shirts. At a meet yesterday several guys commented that my shirt was too loose on me. So I need to go down a size for my meet shirt. So I am looking at the Super Katana one size smaller than my F6. So help me out here.

What are the major differences between these two shirts besides the SK has thicker material. Both are single ply. Also, how is the supercut SK different than the normal SK? Is the super cut just longer?

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-20-2009, 08:09 AM
How did the meet go?

jmccown
07-20-2009, 08:49 AM
There were 30 competing, weather was just awesome for the outdoor event. I placed first in the 275 class, weighed in a couple lbs. heavy for the 242 class. Had second highest bench overall. Ended up with a 502. J. Mozer from Ohio ended up with 507. Also placed first in the push/pull with a 535 DL, totaled over 1K between the two lifts so it was a good day. Judges were the toughest I have seen them. There were lots of red lights thoughout the day.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-20-2009, 08:55 AM
There were 30 competing, weather was just awesome for the outdoor event. I placed first in the 275 class, weighed in a couple lbs. heavy for the 242 class. Had second highest bench overall. Ended up with a 502. J. Mozer from Ohio ended up with 507. Also placed first in the push/pull with a 535 DL, totaled over 1K between the two lifts so it was a good day. Judges were the toughest I have seen them. There were lots of red lights thoughout the day.

Great job! Man I wish I could have been there to help with loading and judging. When is your next meet?

jmccown
07-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Plan on doing a raw meet at Moth Man Open in Point Pleasant, WV Sept. 20th. Maybe do a USPL meet Sept 26 (undecided). Then will be doing the 100% Tested Nationals in October at Morehead and then the WV Regional the second week in November. Yesterday was my first equipped meet and it is awesome how people get behind you the more weight you have on the bar. I was hoping for a 530 bench but dialed back after I was called on my 2nd attempt, said I raised my butt ever so slightly. The 502 flew up major easy.

barbell01
07-20-2009, 09:50 AM
yes you should switch. the super katana has a scooped and reinforced neck. you might want to go with the same size in the katana as the f6. then you can modify the shirt as needed. you can make 'em smaller but you can't makem bigger. the only reason i say this is because it will be harder to touch in the SK

jmccown
07-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the reply barbell01. On my shirt I can actually get it on and take it off by myself. So most would call me right there with it being too lose. My chest measures 49" and I went with a 52 F6. So I was thinking of going to a 50 in the SK. Also, is there a major difference with the angled sleeves vs. straight sleeves. I like to touch about 1" below my sternum.

MarcusWild
07-20-2009, 10:10 AM
You probably want the AS if that's where you touch. It'll be cut like your F6, so if that works then stick with that cut. The super katana is an odd shirt. I'd go with the 52, then have the sleeves taken in if needed. If you go too small on the chest, then it's a very difficult shirt to work. You want the sleeves super tight.

jmccown
07-20-2009, 10:38 AM
The sleeves are super tight on my 52 F6, just have the extra room in the cheat area. I am going to go with the A/S, so what is the super cut version now.

isaku900
07-20-2009, 11:19 AM
The sleeves are super tight on my 52 F6, just have the extra room in the cheat area. I am going to go with the A/S, so what is the super cut version now.

if you're looking at Ken Anderson's site he has the "Super Cut" listed,

but call him and ask for the Super Training Cut its scooped more, the collar is reinforced more and you can adjust it more.

However...make sure you let Ken know which federation you compete in so he can make it legal.

jmccown
07-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all the help guys.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Plan on doing a raw meet at Moth Man Open in Point Pleasant, WV Sept. 20th. Maybe do a USPL meet Sept 26 (undecided). Then will be doing the 100% Tested Nationals in October at Morehead and then the WV Regional the second week in November. Yesterday was my first equipped meet and it is awesome how people get behind you the more weight you have on the bar. I was hoping for a 530 bench but dialed back after I was called on my 2nd attempt, said I raised my butt ever so slightly. The 502 flew up major easy.

Compete on the Sept 20th then compete on Sept 26! :omg: More power to you because I couldn't do it.

shields
07-20-2009, 02:36 PM
your shirt is way to big. I am 5',11" and 280(54 chest, 19 arms) and wear a size 52 f6. trust me, what you think is tight is not. If sleaves are too tight you can get custom ie size 50 chest and 52 arms.

give the shirt some time don't get caught up in the new shirt every week madness. but you can't go wrong with the katana

I would get what ever size your chest is or even one size smaller, to get a tight fit. a propper fitting shirt will take 3 or 4 sessions to break in using board presses. you said it was your first equipped meet, so give it some time. congrats on the 500!

Ryano
07-20-2009, 03:29 PM
If you are planning on doing a USAPL meet, don't get the SuperTraining Cut. I don't think the lower collar will be legal. Also, according to the USAPL rules, you must touch at the sternum or higher. Even though I've seen several meet video's where this rule was not called. Anyway, call Ken Anderson and give him your measurements. He'll send you the right size shirt. Sounds to me like you need a Super Katana A/S, size 50. It's IPF approved. Like said before, it will be much tighter and you will have to work it down. Don't get discouraged after the first workout with it. It is MUCH more shirt that a regular F6 and much harder to touch. Especially since you are use to a very loose shirt.

The Professor
07-20-2009, 05:29 PM
:cool:Like Roger said above. Call Ken Anderson. You can link his website in my signature. He is the man on shirts and will set you up just right. On a side note the Super Katana is IPF legal.

robchris
07-20-2009, 07:55 PM
:cool:Like Roger said above. Call Ken Anderson. You can link his website in my signature. He is the man on shirts and will set you up just right. On a side note the Super Katana is IPF legal.

Agreed... Ken will set you up right. I switched from a F6 to a SK and Ken suggested I go up a size. (48 to 50) I was reluctant at first but I took his advice & I'm glad I did... Its a lot more shirt than a F6 and takes more weight to touch with.

First geared meet & a 500+ bench is kick a** brother!

Good luck w/ the new shirt!