PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Deadlifting Shoe?

Andre518
07-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Did anyone else notice this ad in this months PL USA? It called Toe Footwear and it spouse to be great for DLing to me it looks odd and uncomfortable. What do you think? A little side note have you guys noticed that PL USA has been beefing up the articles in their mag?

http://www.sportsimproper.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1555&Itemid=167

http://www.sportsimproper.com/images/wbgallery/o/2009_06/124501856913449.jpeg

Matt Adams
07-21-2009, 01:04 PM
no but ive noticed every other page is a muscletech ad with matt k.i really like kroc as a lifter but its a little overkill. i believe i counted 11 muscletech ads a couple months back. but all other mags are that way so whatever.they have to do what they have to do to make money i guess.it is a business.

bencher8
07-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I saw a lifeguard wearing these at the pool one day...he didnt look like he deadlifted much though lol

Maybe good..ultimate? IDK about that, but it might work...looks like it would be a pain in the butt to put on though.

Andre518
07-21-2009, 01:15 PM
but it might work...looks like it would be a pain in the butt to put on though.

That is the 1st thing I thought of when I saw them. I think Im gonna stick with my Chucks for now.

Jorge Sanchez
07-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I know a few people who wear them to lift occassionally.

I have been considering grabbing a pair but just because they look comfy, not to lift in.

Brian Hopper
07-21-2009, 06:05 PM
I will stick with my RDC deadlift slippers.

bencher8
07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
What if you have fat toes like Rob Luyando? He could never wear them things with the tater spuds he has for feet

barbell01
07-21-2009, 07:39 PM
looks dumb

theBarzeen
07-21-2009, 07:55 PM
I think the point is to wear them around a meet while other people are lifting to mess with them....... breaking other peoples concentration so your mediocre lifts will be good enough for best lifter......

Andre518
07-21-2009, 11:40 PM
I think the point is to wear them around a meet while other people are lifting to mess with them....... breaking other peoples concentration so your mediocre lifts will be good enough for best lifter......
:clap: LOL I love this comment.

Adam-7
07-22-2009, 12:14 AM
LOL those are so funny looking. I would not be caught dead in them.

Clone
07-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Too bad I have 6 toes on each foot.

Notorious
07-22-2009, 02:45 AM
LOL those are so funny looking. I would not be caught dead(lifting) in them.

Fixed.

Adam-7
07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Fixed.

LOL, nice one. I like the fix :)

Trainwreck
07-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Why not just go barefoot? its free.

Transformer
07-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I saw some hippy guy wearing these at my gym and asked him why he had them... He said they make the foot stronger for running...

Sensei
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Actually, I've grown to like the Vibram Fingers for some exercises - I don't think I'll ever prefer them to OL shoes for squatting, but for DLs and kettlebell snatches, I like them.

At first I felt like Fred Flintstone wearing them, but you get used to them. I have toed socks and I never wear them outside of training.

I don't know if this link will work to show them, but here's one link:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D1oldwQBmkU/Sh2Niz7NlzI/AAAAAAAAAW8/9NxfsnYk9Qg/s1600-h/100_0581.JPG

and another:
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2009/05/overhead-squats-with-kettlebells.html

Clifford Gillmore
07-22-2009, 07:51 PM
I always thought thats what the nike 'free' was supposed to be! I'd get a pair.

roots
07-22-2009, 09:03 PM
I've seen someone at my gym wearing those "shoes" before, but I wouldnt be caught dead in them.

Since they are completely flat they would probably be good for sumo pullers...
However, I pull conventional and after reading rippetoes article on elite fts, I have been experimenting with using a raised heel on my shoes (I just stick 2.5 lb plates under my heels at the moment haha) , and I can already feel that it helps with more leg drive.

A buddy of mine has also switched to a weightlifting shoe with a raised heel and increased his deadlift right away. just something you should think about.......

WyztaTrjnsFtbll
07-23-2009, 12:00 AM
basically they are trying to charge you money for barefoot lifting, except with more men hitting on you

tomv
07-23-2009, 04:49 AM
I wanted to get a pair but I also thought "Why not just life barefoot?"

So I guess I can ask you, Sensei, Why don't you simply lift barefoot? The shoes aren't terribly cheap, what advantages do they have?

Virtron
07-23-2009, 06:36 AM
despite the gym floor ive lifted barefoot. So much more control... I cant explain it. Its the way mother nature intended lol. I discovered because my sneakers have heels and its harder that way. Its a difference 5 pounds

jp2
07-23-2009, 06:53 AM
i wanna see you wear those in the gym lol. I'm sure they'd work well, but most avg gym would be like wtf because of the way they look

Sensei
07-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I wanted to get a pair but I also thought "Why not just life barefoot?"

So I guess I can ask you, Sensei, Why don't you simply lift barefoot? The shoes aren't terribly cheap, what advantages do they have?If you lift at home, you could certainly lift barefoot if you had the right surface. I've never been big into shoelessness unless I was doing some martial art.

Last night I did 20 minutes of continuous kettlebell snatches without setting the bell down. Everything was covered in sweat by the time I was done - even my hands, which were heavily chalked, were a little sweaty. My feet however were fresh as daisies... Shoes don't sweat. Your feet do.

If you're going to do a PL meet, you have to wear something and the Vibrams have great grip with the floor - wrestling shoes have no real sole to speak of, but they are not the same thing. Slippers, I don't know - never tried them.

Sensei
07-23-2009, 09:09 AM
i wanna see you wear those in the gym lol. I'm sure they'd work well, but most avg gym would be like wtf because of the way they lookI've had to repeat myself a lot lately on this point, but if you like PL, or strongman, or are reasonably big and strong, then you're a freak and you better get used to people looking at you like you are a freak, or you're not going to last long.

Bob
07-23-2009, 01:51 PM
I used Chucks for about 2 1/2 yrs... and loved them. It was an eye opening exeperience from the old cross trainers type of sneakers I used to lift...
And I thought I would NEVER change..
But...
4 Months ago I got some Vibrams... and have been lifting in them ever since.. I do all my indoor lifts in them.. the only thing I do is add a 2x4 under my heels for Front Squats... I don't do my outdoor strongman training in them, or sprints, or sled work... but plyos outdoors, throwing, agility I do.

I gotta say.. lifting barefoot/Vibrams is great. It has helped to alleviate a lot of stress on my ankles, knees and hips.. and my recovery from hard training has been faster. I've even bought another pair for regular walking around town, which I wear about 1/3 the time.

Needless to say, my squat has gone up by 25 lbs and my DL by 45 lbs... gym lifts for now... but after strongman season, I'll do another PL comp.. hopefully they are allowed, I don't see why not... and then will see what the official result is.

BIG Thumbs up..
Give them a try...

As far as people looking at you.. WTF.. I don't really care.. I can't stand high heels, but I not going to judge an uber-babe by them... I'm old, hairy, greying, can't match my cloths, with a PL gut.. there are plenty more things to judge my looks on...

Rob Luyando
07-24-2009, 07:06 AM
I saw a lifeguard wearing these at the pool one day...he didnt look like he deadlifted much though lol

Maybe good..ultimate? IDK about that, but it might work...looks like it would be a pain in the butt to put on though.

That must of been the lifegaurd that told me I looked like I used to be a strong powerlifter? LMAO!

Rob Luyando
07-24-2009, 07:09 AM
What if you have fat toes like Rob Luyando? He could never wear them things with the tater spuds he has for feet

Now I am going to have to read every topic on this site just so I can see what Bencher8 is running his mouth off about. LOL!

I prefer aqua socks to Pull in. I can just imagine how fun those socks would be to put on. I am ordering a pair right now just to prove you wrong Bencher8.
Then I will post a video on the proper way to put them on.

jp2
07-24-2009, 07:30 AM
I've had to repeat myself a lot lately on this point, but if you like PL, or strongman, or are reasonably big and strong, then you're a freak and you better get used to people looking at you like you are a freak, or you're not going to last long.
ya good point