PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Diet

bizbob
07-21-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm doing SS, trying (and succeeding :D) to gain weight. I'm going to be out of town next week and don't know what to do about my diet. Should I just try to eat maintenance since I won't be working out that week? Should I aim for just a little above maintenance to try and prevent losing any muscle? Should I just eat like I have been as if I were still working out?

Also, would it be a good idea to do some bodyweight squats and pushups while I don't have a gym, or should I just take the week off? I've been on the routine for 8 weeks (this is the ninth).

ELmx479
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
I am going on vacation next week and I am not doing a damn thing to do with lifting or eating healthy. Just going to lay on the beach, drink beer, and eat whatever I feel like it. On the other hand, you could just eat your maintenance calories and give your body a break. Maybe work on some stretching.

Gonzo
07-21-2009, 10:01 PM
yea when i am on vacation I eat what I want and usually do not work out much. Eating out is a big part of a vacation and I enjoy it too much to watch what I eat then, plus I am not one that vacations much

platypus
07-21-2009, 10:30 PM
The good thing about vacations is that sometimes that's just what your body needs. A week or so of rest doing whatever the **** you want can sometimes push your numbers up quite a bit once you get back to the weightroom.

Mercuryblade
07-21-2009, 11:28 PM
The good thing about vacations is that sometimes that's just what your body needs. A week or so of rest doing whatever the **** you want can sometimes push your numbers up quite a bit once you get back to the weightroom.

A week of rest is definitely a good thing. I've been ridiculously busy (helping my GF move, helping my sister and her girlfriend move, and then moving my stuff to my new place). I took about 10 days off.
Yesterday, on all of 4 hours of sleep, I had the best workout I've had in a long time. Taking a week off every once in awhile is not only OK, it's actually beneficial.

bizbob
07-22-2009, 07:53 AM
OK guys, thanks for the advice.

On a related note: What should I do my first workout when I get back? Should I add weight like I have been as if that week never happened, keep it the same as it was my last workout before I left, or drop it a little? To complicate the situation a little further, I can feel that I'm going to stall soon on squats. I literally stopped moving up halfway through my last rep on Monday but was able to push it up and finish my sets. I'll be surprised if I'm able to do all three sets today (off topic, but today will mark me doubling the amount I can squat if I get through it), and more surprised if I get them all done today and am able to do all my Friday ones.

Trainwreck
07-22-2009, 09:17 AM
When you come back lower the weight by about 10% and work back up. If you feel you're gonna stall, eat more food. You should be able to squat bodyweight x1.5 or x2 by the time you stall completely on SS.

Mercuryblade
07-22-2009, 10:14 AM
When you come back lower the weight by about 10% and work back up. If you feel you're gonna stall, eat more food. You should be able to squat bodyweight x1.5 or x2 by the time you stall completely on SS.

I don't think so. He shouldn't lose 10% of his strength from taking a week off. Often times I come back stronger when I rest.

Trainwreck
07-22-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't think so. He shouldn't lose 10% of his strength from taking a week off. Often times I come back stronger when I rest.

Oh man, my bad...I confused this with the one month trip thread. Perhaps I should step away from the keyboard when sleep deprived.