PDA

View Full Version : I need squat help!

WILD BILL
07-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Ok so I have hit an 835lb SSB squat to a 14 1/2in box in just briefs in the past 6wks, I hit a straight bar squat off the same height and it was 830lbs in just briefs and today I went for 880lbs in full gear with straps up and missed it at lockout. Then I went down to 840lbs and got it but barely.

Can someone tell me why they think Im getting maybe 10-40lbs out of my suit instead of more.

So far I have a few ideas.

1. Maybe Im better with less gear.
2. Maybe my squat suit is to tight.
3. I still dont know how to use my suit.

I was thinking of trying single ply briefs with my suit but I squat so well in my briefs and they are fairly loose already so maybe its not the briefs.

Try to use a squat suit one size bigger with my current briefs and see what happens.

Either way I have 4wks from this friday to figure it out cause I have the pro/am coming up. Any help would be appreciated. Im open for anything.

Clifford Gillmore
07-22-2009, 02:50 AM
Wow, I thought you would be the last guy needing help with your training crew! I don't really know what to say at your level, Treston, are your straps loose? Are you hitching the legs up to get depth?

WILD BILL
07-22-2009, 03:21 AM
Wow, I thought you would be the last guy needing help with your training crew! I don't really know what to say at your level, Treston, are your straps loose? Are you hitching the legs up to get depth?

LOL i know right! Everyone has there opinions at the gym and theyre all diff lol. Everyone needs help sometimes and Im just trying to get as much as I can cause it kinda has the guys at my gym stumped as well.

I started with loose straps and everytime I went up in weight I tightened them just a bit. And no, I dont have any problem getting down at all.

Im cursed, im not supposed to squat over 900lbs n a meet lol.

Clifford Gillmore
07-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Well, if your getting down you should definately tighten the crap out of your straps haha! Maybe you were fried from all the attempts with loose straps, what did Hoss say about it?

mikesbench
07-22-2009, 05:45 AM
I'd say you might need to do a bit less low box work, and more overload work. Unless you feel a specific problem with the suit I'm thinking you just need to get accustomed to being under that much weight and still executing your squat technique. Just my .02; I had a smiliar problem and I think it's getting worked out this way.

Lones Green
07-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I'd say you might need to do a bit less low box work, and more overload work. Unless you feel a specific problem with the suit I'm thinking you just need to get accustomed to being under that much weight and still executing your squat technique. Just my .02; I had a smiliar problem and I think it's getting worked out this way.

Thats a good point, maybe your CNS isn't prepared for 900 lbs. You guys do a lot of low box work, I guess you do a lot of band and chain work too...

I guess I'm stumped as well, haha

MarcusWild
07-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Straps up offf a box sucks. Louie says to not do it. I used to and I got a lot of crappy habits from it. The biggest one being getting loose near the hole to get to the box. It's easy do do when you know the box will catch you. The problem is then you aren't in a great position to squat off the box. Try squatting without a box when you go straps up.

Also, you've been making some big gains lately. Your CNS may just need a deload.

If you're missing where you normally do and losing your arch, then definitely go without a box when you have your straps up.

dgunnermuro
07-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Maybe try squatting without the briefs and using chain overloads in full gear.

WILD BILL
07-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Hey guys this is all great stuff and everyoneone has great points. Lets keep them coming. Thanks again guys.

MarcusWild
07-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Do you have video of the full gear squat?

mastermonster
07-22-2009, 03:04 PM

I tend to agree with this. Partly, my problem is that I don't deal well with tight straps. I only tighten mine up enough to tighten near the bottom half of the squat and get me out of the hole with some speed and momentum. I actually feel like I'm fighting the straps at lockout if they are tight all the way through. And if they are too tight, I have a terrible time hitting depth before I start feeling like I'm going to 'black out'. My best squat cycle was last year weighing almost 300 towards the end. I worked at depth (just at it) to the box up to 920 with briefs and wraps at the peak of it. I'd put the suit on for the final 1 to 2 squats. A best at 955 from the box and an occasional 1010 to 1030 from about 1/2 squat with the safety chains set to stop the bar at 1/2 stroke and them squat it back up from there.

Long story but here's my theory:

If your form is real good the straps set very tight may alter your form enough to off-set much of what you hope to get from them. Squatting that much in just briefs, your form is obviously very good. In that case I say the suggestion above to do enough overload to adapt you body to finishing with more weight (without tight straps ) might be the best plan. It worked well for me.

Not getting great additional carry-over from straps up may not be so much of a negative thing as a testament to how good your overall squat technique already is. You're strong enough not to need the straps to keep upright and driving up. Just an observation from my own experiences.

WILD BILL
07-23-2009, 06:48 PM
All good ideas. After the Pro/Am im gona throw some of this stuff in and see how it helps. Again thank u all!

MarcusWild
07-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Didn't you do 1000 lbs reverse band???

john bernor
07-23-2009, 10:49 PM
was the 880 to a box or a free squat? GOD BLESS

Travis Bell
07-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Is your suit big in the legs or hips?

It may be that the suit is just giving out on you because it's big somewhere on you.

Have you ever tried squatting in a canvas suit? With the style you squat with, it would probably fit you nicely.

If you're missing purely because you aren't strong enough at the top, hit up some heavy band tension. That'll fix you in a hurry.

WILD BILL
07-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Didn't you do 1000 lbs reverse band???

LOL yes and smoked it!

was the 880 to a box or a free squat? GOD BLESS

To a box.

Is your suit big in the legs or hips?

It may be that the suit is just giving out on you because it's big somewhere on you.

Have you ever tried squatting in a canvas suit? With the style you squat with, it would probably fit you nicely.

If you're missing purely because you aren't strong enough at the top, hit up some heavy band tension. That'll fix you in a hurry.

Travis the suit is not loose anywhere its a 56 metal ace and im 300lbs lol. No I have not tried canvas yet but as soon as the pro/am is over im looking at buying one. Travis I hit bands 2wks n a row now and I think it has already helped a bit.

Cant wait to talk to u at the pro/am.

dbc3po
07-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Likely its the fact your box squatting in a suit with straps up. Bartley told me not to do that a while back. Basically it screws everything up in the suit, the rebound you would normally get isnt there because your on a box so you dont get the bounce form the suit. I tried it before after seeing some videos of jackass doing it and I had the same problem you did, weight I could man handle in briefs was a struggle with the suit. It felt like i was breaking form to get down then there was no pop form the suit.

martin
07-29-2009, 10:04 AM
LOL yes and smoked it!

So you can lockout 1000lbs right? Or were the bands still taking some at the top?

It has to be a tech issue if you can lockout 100lbs more with reverse bands does it not? Or your not getting enough speed on the way up and your slowing too soon in the free squat - the bands are speeding you up and helping you where you have the speed problem.

I have similar problems but I think mine are because I'm not used to squatting in a mono and dont take it out with my hips enough and lean forward too much. This makes lockout harder for me.

M

WILD BILL
07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
So you can lockout 1000lbs right? Or were the bands still taking some at the top?

It has to be a tech issue if you can lockout 100lbs more with bands does it not? Or your not getting enough speed on the way up and your slowing too soon in the free squat.

I have similar problems but I think mine are because I'm not used to squatting in a mono and dont take it out with my hips enough and lean forward too much. This makes lockout harder for me.

M

The 1000lbs were completely out of the bands at the top.

And I get crazy speed out of the hole I just hit a wall half way up or sumtn.

MarcusWild
07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
You have good squat form. I say definitely get rid of the box straps up. The only times I've seen you miss a squat is when you lose your arch. Just focus on holding you arch through the entire lift.

WILD BILL
08-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey guys so the past 3wks I added bands on dynamic day (Thanks for that Travis) green 2wks ago, blue last week and blue on tensors today. I think it has helped a ton!

Marcus, last week and today when I put my straps up I removed the box. Huge diff thank you.

kingkong51
08-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Do more Raw Squat work so u can get your quad strength up. My squat shot up using bands and chains for my raw max effort try that for a few weeks and see where that takes you.

MarcusWild
08-01-2009, 05:09 PM
No problem! That was a huge difference maker for me too. Go 900+ at the pro-am.

WILD BILL
08-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Do more Raw Squat work so u can get your quad strength up. My squat shot up using bands and chains for my raw max effort try that for a few weeks and see where that takes you.

Thanks Kong Ill be sure to throw that stuff in there

Brian Hopper
08-01-2009, 08:48 PM

I agree, the raw training will really work your quads. It's possible that this could be what's causing you to stall at the top sometimes. But after seeing your last video you just posted it's really hard to tell because it looked so easy.