PDA

View Full Version : Training Singles and Doubles

Andre518
07-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Ok I have my 1st meet Nov 8th and right now I train using 5/3/1. Now this is was my idea next week is my deload of my 3rd wave I was gonna do one more wave witch would bring me into sept 1st week of sept do a maxout week to see where I am. Then one more wave witch bring me to oct 5th and from there on out I would train heavy singles and double. Now my question is do you guys think this would be a good approach to be honest I have never trained singles and doubles but thought it would be a good shock to my system and get me use to holding the heavy weight.

Sean S
07-22-2009, 09:20 AM
If you are doing 5/3/1, I wouldn't stray from that program too much. If it were me, I might do the program as normal, but on the 5/3/1 week only do a single with your last set (95%). Then do one or two more heavy (but not maximal) singles. Provided you are recovering OK, you can do this with all your cycles until the meet.
You could also ask Wendler himself on the elitefts Q&A.

Andre518
07-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Not a bad idea. I asked Wendler on Facebook he told me that I should train what I think would most benefit me. So I thought perhaps some singles and double would be nice shock and help get my ready. But I will take some serious thought to your idea. Thanks bro.

Sean S
07-22-2009, 10:55 AM
No problem. Since this is your first meet I wouldn't stray too far from the program. Remember, it's the set and rep scheme and progression of this program that makes you stronger, so you don't want to drop it too far out from the meet. Also, after this meet you can see what worked and what didn't and tweak things a little more for your next meet, if needed. The more experienced you get, the better you will know what you need to do to get ready for a meet. I think if you essentially stay with the base program for your first meet it will make any adjustments in the future alot less complicated.
Good luck.

MarcusWild
07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Here's the issue I've seen with periodization schemes, and why I'm not a fan of 5/3/1 for competitive powerlifters. They rely on projecting your 1RM. How accurate are those projections? You squat 400 lbs for x reps and that means you should squat 500 lbs. What happens if your core isn't strong enough to support 500 lbs and you fold in half? You'd never know that until you try and fail.

In my experience, beginners will max well below their projected max because they lack motor coordination. Advanced lifters will max above their projected max because of their superior motor coordination. Also, you just don't get to condition your nervous system enough. Every raw lifter I've seen benefits from using bands/chains to overload the top portion of the lift.

rbtrout
07-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Excellent response, Marcus. A view I never considered.

barbell01
07-22-2009, 12:03 PM
great post marcus. i think this is a great program for poeple like jim that have been there and can no longer handle maxing week after week, or just dont feel like it. i like the program but would not use it at this point in my life. maybe later though. keep in mind, jim wendeler has squatted over 1000lbs., so of course he is going to be able to get stronger using this type of projected max program. did you read the book? he clearly doesn't want any questions regaurding the change of his program either. if you are going to compete, dump the program, just my opinion. either way stay strong and lift heavy.

sayagain
07-22-2009, 01:25 PM
In my opinion, for whatever that is worth, it is a good off-season type of program to develop a good overall strength base, but for getting ready for a meet you need to use some type of peaking program that gets you underneath some heavy weights.

barbell01
07-22-2009, 02:23 PM
In my opinion, for whatever that is worth, it is a good off-season type of program to develop a good overall strength base, but for getting ready for a meet you need to use some type of peaking program that gets you underneath some heavy weights.

this was my initial opinion and my reason for reading the book. But then i thought, why the hell would i have an off-season!? i have a season(summer) that i won't be competing, but there is no way in hell i am gonna sit back and do a percentage based projected max type program. CONJEGATE METHOD works! USE IT! IMO:ninja:

sayagain
07-22-2009, 02:30 PM
this was my initial opinion and my reason for reading the book. But then i thought, why the hell would i have an off-season!? i have a season(summer) that i won't be competing, but there is no way in hell i am gonna sit back and do a percentage based projected max type program. CONJEGATE METHOD works! USE IT! IMO:ninja:

I agree completely. I also bought the book and tried the program, but got bored with it. I need to lift heavy stuff, not count how many reps I can get.

geoffsherman
07-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Why change the thread into a debate about the value of one training method or another? Some people like Westside, some people like Sheiko, some people like 5/3/1.

To the OP, you could do a Sheiko peaking routine to retest your maxes. I believe that is what one of the lifters over on Elite is doing as he has a meet coming up in like a week or two who has been using 5/3/1. Check out the Unlikely Powerlifter's log.

sayagain
07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't think we were changing the thread into a debate over the value of one training method over another, we both said the same thing as you. Basically the 5/3/1 program works, but needs some adjustment for peaking for a meet.

geoffsherman
07-22-2009, 04:48 PM
why I'm not a fan of 5/3/1 for competitive powerlifters

This is the last post I am going to make on this topic because andre had a specific question. However, the post above is what I was referring to.

barbell01
07-22-2009, 04:52 PM
This is the last post I am going to make on this topic because andre had a specific question. However, the post above is what I was referring to.

thank you for making this your last post on this topic, this is my last post too.

barbell01
07-22-2009, 04:54 PM
dont get mad, it was a joke. this is my last post for real this time.

barbell01
07-22-2009, 04:58 PM
wait a second, i just realized that you, telling us that this is your last post, has nothing to do with the question or topic!