PDA

View Full Version : Bench press critique 225x5

spursguy123
07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't post here much but i do come and read a lot. I learned about a 5x5 here which i think really kicked in my gains. I started off only being able to bench 135x5 at around 160 pounds. I now weight about 185 and still trying to bulk to 215. I train really for strength I wanna be a strong guy. I do squat, deadlift and EAT. I still have a long way to go i feel like i will never be happy i will always wanna be stronger and bigger.

Sorry for the quality on the video it was recorded from my cell phone. Any advice on my form? Next week is 230 5x5 its getting a lot harder adding weight to the bar and would like to make sure my form is in check.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnSs7gPeE5A

samadhi_smiles
07-22-2009, 04:38 PM
****ty video quality....I'll let others comment more....but at the top of the press your shoulders are not fully retracted. This is very unstable position and not good for RC.

spursguy123
07-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Thank you for your response and again sorry about the quality. Sorry if its a dumb question but what do you mean? My left shoulder did hurt after this lift.

joey54
07-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Do a search here for Dave Tate's bench video and take a look at that. The positve is, there is a lot of room for improvement and with a few tweaks to your form, you probably could be repping out 250-275 for 5.

spursguy123
07-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Do a search here for Dave Tate's bench video and take a look at that. The positve is, there is a lot of room for improvement and with a few tweaks to your form, you probably could be repping out 250-275 for 5.

I watched his video im going to try using his techniques.
Thanks

Tykimeister
07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
I think you use your tricepts quite a bit on your form. I think they call that powerlifting form. My elbows stay more parallel with my shoulders and I think thats called bodybuilding form. I'm not sure if this is 100% true, just what I've been told.

Xellarz
07-23-2009, 12:41 AM

Agreed.

For instance, take a look at your feet - dancing all over. You clearly cannot be stable if you can dance your feet around. What happens you go to bench more weight...and it starts to drift out to a side? Can you "steer" it with your feet not planted? No, you'll fall or strain something. Anyways. You get the idea.