PDA

View Full Version : Indian Clubs

Travis Bell
07-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Anyone else here used them?

I torqued my right rear delt a couple weeks ago and it hasn't been the same since. It was weird. It wouldn't hurt most of the day, then I'd move it just a certain angle and it'd ache really bad all of a sudden.

I hadn't gone to doing the ultrasound like I should, which is probably why it wasn't getting better, but today I saw the indian clubs over in the gym and wandered over to give them a shot. Figured nothing to lose.

I used them for about 1:30 and initially my shoulder felt worse. But after about 5min, it felt a TON better. Did another set for the same amount of time and I must say, I'm a believer now. My shoulder feels fantastic. Be making these a regular part of my warmup now for my shoulders.

We've had them at Westside for a long time now, I've just never had cause to use them, I surely will be now though. You can get them off the Westside website (http://www.westside-barbell.com/therapy-line/)

They are not the cheapest thing in the world, but I think it has to do with the metal and powder coating on it as well as it being custom molded.

Brian Hopper
07-22-2009, 09:32 PM
How do you use them? I have seen them on the Westide Barbell website, they look like a cool rehab tool.

Travis Bell
07-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I swing them around my head just because that's the way that Louie showed me how to do them. Kind of in a circular motion.

Believe there are several ways of doing them though, but for the shoulders I'd imagine that'd be the best.

Auburn
07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Not clubs, but I've used small sledges for loosening up the shoulders and pumping lots of blood in there. Works well, cheaper too.

KarstenDD
07-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Not clubs, but I've used small sledges for loosening up the shoulders and pumping lots of blood in there. Works well, cheaper too.

Second.

My shoulders felt amazing afterward, too.

Sean S
07-23-2009, 08:05 AM
I have the small wooden clubs and use them 2-4 days per week. They certainly loosen things up and help keep the shoulders feeling healthy.

blownby
07-23-2009, 08:33 AM
any vid link of these? interesting to see....

Travis Bell
07-23-2009, 08:44 AM
No video, but I'll work on getting one made in the next couple weeks.

Joe Black
07-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Louie covers them in this article - pic and video along with the article - http://www.wannabebig.com/training/powerlifting-and-functional-strength-for-athletics/q-a-with-westside-barbells-louie-simmons/

Sensei
07-23-2009, 09:25 AM
There are a lot of good videos on YouTube. "Swipes", etc. are good therapeutic exercises.

I don't own a pair (they are pricey), but I've tried them and they are great.

samadhi_smiles
07-23-2009, 09:33 AM
are they much better than kettleballs? I've been thinking about buying some of those for high volume shoulder prehab type stuff....but I could only afford either those or these....

Optimum08
07-23-2009, 09:56 AM
kettleballs?

kettleBELLS?

bencher8
07-23-2009, 10:01 AM
I have seen the players at Vandy using them some. I tried them for a bit to see what they were about. I tried the circles, but the lightest they have is 15#, a little heavy for that kind of work.

You can also do triple extension work with them. Standing on foam works well like this. A lot of guys use them for rehab stuff cause they have a nagging injury that cant let them do cleans...

samadhi_smiles
07-23-2009, 10:23 AM
kettleBELLS?
OK :thumbup:

Travis Bell
07-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Louie covers them in this article - pic and video along with the article - http://www.wannabebig.com/training/powerlifting-and-functional-strength-for-athletics/q-a-with-westside-barbells-louie-simmons/

Ah you're right, I'd forgotten about that video since it was made at a local boxing gym.

Thanks for posting that

Travis Bell
07-23-2009, 11:26 AM
are they much better than kettleballs? I've been thinking about buying some of those for high volume shoulder prehab type stuff....but I could only afford either those or these....

Two different tools for two different purposes. Not really comparable.

fulldaddy
07-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Travis - have you thought about doing power cleans to help your shoulders? :tuttut: TOTALLY KIDDING. I am glad you posted this as I have not seen this before and think it could help me.

Jason198
07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Travis - have you thought about doing power cleans to help your shoulders? :tuttut: TOTALLY KIDDING. I am glad you posted this as I have not seen this before and think it could help me.

LOL That was Funny

vdizenzo
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Travis, I think they are now referred to as Native American. Come on man, get with the times.

samadhi_smiles
07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
lmao

Travis Bell
07-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Travis - have you thought about doing power cleans to help your shoulders? :tuttut: TOTALLY KIDDING.

LOL good one

Travis, I think they are now referred to as Native American. Come on man, get with the times.

I'll Native American club you upside the head Vincent

Jorge Sanchez
07-23-2009, 01:19 PM

Unless they're from India...

fulldaddy
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Unless they're from India...

dammit - the plot thickens. Will Travis take up power cleaning or will he actually try to hit the largest man in CT with the club of yet to be determined origins? Tune in tonight to find out................

vdizenzo
07-23-2009, 02:13 PM
I love this place!

Travis Bell
07-23-2009, 03:46 PM
dammit - the plot thickens. Will Travis take up power cleaning or will he actually try to hit the largest man in CT with the club of yet to be determined origins? Tune in tonight to find out................

Man bravo, that was freakin hilarious hahahaha.

Tom Mutaffis
07-23-2009, 03:57 PM

Laughed out loud when I read that.

sobrinoc
07-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Travis, did you use the 2 pound ones or the heavier clubs?

Travis Bell
07-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I used the 1lb ones because I didn't want to over do it and end up making them worse. I'm going to try the heavier ones next time

fulldaddy
07-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Sometimes it just comes to me - Sanchez sparked it because his response was pretty dam clever. Living in North Dakota makes you think a little weird sometimes. Kinda of like Stephen King up in Maine - but not....

fulldaddy
07-24-2009, 10:09 AM
I actually followed the motion patterns from Louie's video and even with nothing in my hands my shoulders felt pretty good.

sobrinoc
07-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey Travis,

Would you mind giving us info on what clubs you prefered for rehab and such? I was thinking of buying them from the westside page but didnt know which to get, the 1#, 2# or the heavier shot loaded ones... I am a little confused as to which is for what.

Sean S
07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm not Travis, but I have the 2# wooden ones that I use for rehab/prehab. I've built up to multiple sets of 20-40 swings and they do seem to help keep the shoulders healthy. In my opinion this a good place to start if you are wanting them more for rehab/prehab than for strength.

thewicked
07-24-2009, 06:15 PM
LOVE THEM! INSANE ON THE GRIP!! definately works the forearms, grip, and wrists... and if you swing it kinda like a "tornado ball" it tends to work the delts really well. Definately something I've used in the past to help with shoulder rehab after a benching problem.

Travis Bell
07-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey Travis,

Would you mind giving us info on what clubs you prefered for rehab and such? I was thinking of buying them from the westside page but didnt know which to get, the 1#, 2# or the heavier shot loaded ones... I am a little confused as to which is for what.

It depends on your goal.

If your goal is mostly prehab, I'd try the shorter shot loaded ones because they will give you a lot more variability in your weight selection. Plus as wicked pointed out, they work the grip a lot more.

If you have an existing shoulder problem, I'd do with either the 1 or 2lb ones because it'll work better at getting the blood flow to the muscle.

I have yet to try the heavier ones so I can't comment on them too much, but I will give them a shot soon.

JK1
07-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Travis, do you know of a place to get 1/2 lb clubs? My wife is having ongoing shoulder issues. We have discussed incorporating indian clubs into her training in the past, but I haven't been able to find any less than 1 lb. She's not big-- lifts in the 132 lb class (benches around 150 RAW, little over 200 in a single ply shirt), so I'm just not sure what would be an appropriate weight for her to use.

Thanks.