PDA

View Full Version : Would this do anything?

TremL96
07-23-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm sure this has already been adressed, but chances are it's been a while so not sure if I would be able to find it.

I was talking with one of my friends the other day and he brought up the idea of bulking on lifting days, and then on every other day, eat like you're cutting and do some cardio. Sounds a bit wrong, but I can't talk much because I'm not really that educated in the diet part of lifting. However when I heard that, the phrase "you build muscle outside of the gym" came to mind.

So what would that do? Leave you at a standpoint? Or would it actually work?

jp2
07-23-2009, 06:42 AM
I've done that in the past, but the only problem with that is some part of your body (muscles) is always needing extra calories since your muscles will always be growing on your non-lift days if your lifting heavy and frequently. Takes a few days for your muscles to rebuild after a good workout (protein-synthesis). Some else can probaly explain better than i can.......

tom183
07-23-2009, 06:47 AM
So what would that do? Leave you at a standpoint? Or would it actually work?

Define work.

redwolf4k
07-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Depending on your recovery time, rest day meals could be just as important as post-workout meals. I would think this would slow your progress. What is the goal? 6 pack abs and giant muscles everywhere else? Did you consider a cutting phase after your bulk rather then this idea.

Unreal
07-23-2009, 10:31 AM
It would depend on your overall caloric intake. If at the end of the week you basically hit your maintence levels then you will probably slowly slowly recomp. If you end up over you'll slowly bulk, under you will slowly cut. Now I think it wouldn't work as well as either bulking or cutting because depending on the level calories on each given day.

TremL96
07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Didn't think it'd work. And as for goals, I think he was referring to building muscle mass while losing fat. Which is pretty well the golden key for all bodybuilders.

Anyways, this isn't the way I do it, my friend just brough it up and it made me a tad curious. I figured it wouldn't work since you really need to keep your eating steady in order to gain mass or lose fat.

Sean S
07-23-2009, 05:30 PM
What you are essentially talking about is something similar to carb cycling that Shelby Starnes uses for many of his clients. He can set up a diet to lose fat, gain weight, or maintain all while using carb cycling. The higher carb days (which are higher in calories) are typically on hard training days while the low carb days are on "off" or light training days. You can find him on the elitefts Q&A.
So yes, this approach can work if set up properly. Keep in mind that gaining significant muscle mass while losing fat at the same time is very difficult unless you are beginner no matter how good your diet is. Thus you have to pick your primary goal for the time and build your training and diet around that goal.

anonymous1
07-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Save all of these type of diet tricks for when you're under 10% bodyfat. If you are, then yes it will work if it's structured properly but probably not significantly more than a different method.

malkore
07-27-2009, 11:31 AM
The body really works on 'trends' not individual daily intake. Having a good carb intake the day you lift helps with glycogen stores (energy) during the workout, but the next day if you trim too many calories, the body may not be able to recover normally.

I think the kind of diet you think you want would fall under carb cycling. Its a good way to fluctuate carbs to meet your body's needs, while maintaining overall calorie intake, and thus good recovery.

I feel carb cycling is a great way to get lean while holding onto muscle mass.