PDA

View Full Version : Farmed Tilapia high in Omega-6s, low in Omega-3s..Bad for you..

Mr Boogeyman
07-23-2009, 12:13 PM
This sucks, its pretty much the only fish i liked:(...I cant stand salmon or tuna..I guess ill have to just take more fish oil pills.

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2008/07/08/wake.forest.researchers.say.popular.fish.contains.potentially.dangerous.fatty.acid.combination

Optimum08
07-23-2009, 12:36 PM
You should be taking fish oil anyway.

Mr Boogeyman
07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
You should be taking fish oil anyway.

i do but only take 2 1000mg pills (each pill only has 120mg of EPA and 80mg of DHA though) so i would need to take like 10 pills a day which just doesn't seem safe

Unreal
07-23-2009, 01:03 PM
What isn't safe about it? It is just food.

Optimum08
07-23-2009, 02:20 PM
i do but only take 2 1000mg pills (each pill only has 120mg of EPA and 80mg of DHA though) so i would need to take like 10 pills a day which just doesn't seem safe

Why is this not safe? You'd be doing the same thing eating enough fish and is eating fish 'not safe'?

I try to get 1g. of EPA and DHA/day which equates out to roughly 10-12 fish oil capsules/day.

Go do some reading on the benefits of fish oil and you'll see how asinine your 'safe' comment is.

Mr Boogeyman
07-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Why is this not safe? You'd be doing the same thing eating enough fish and is eating fish 'not safe'?

I try to get 1g. of EPA and DHA/day which equates out to roughly 10-12 fish oil capsules/day.

Go do some reading on the benefits of fish oil and you'll see how asinine your 'safe' comment is.

wouldn't 10 pills equal 10g

Optimum08
07-23-2009, 02:30 PM
The EPA/DHA (the main benefactors in fish oil) do not make up the entirety of the fish oil. You even stated the fact yourself:

YoungNoble
07-23-2009, 02:51 PM
wouldn't 10 pills equal 10g
it's about the EPA/DHA content. not so much the amount of fish oil as EPA/DHA content varies from brand to brand. 1-2 grams each is the generally recommended amount unless you're megadosing (which i haven't seen any conclusive research).

Mr Boogeyman
07-23-2009, 03:01 PM
The EPA/DHA (the main benefactors in fish oil) do not make up the entirety of the fish oil. You even stated the fact yourself:

yeah but what i meant was im still taking 10g of something which was my concern since the epa/dha is only like 15% of it...Is there even a pill that has 1g of EPA/DHA combined so you dont have to take 10

Optimum08
07-23-2009, 03:09 PM
yeah but what i meant was im still taking 10g of something which was my concern since the epa/dha is only like 15% of it...Is there even a pill that has 1g of EPA/DHA combined so you dont have to take 10

No there isn't. You can take straight shots of liquid fish oil (which is more efficient and actually there are some decent tasting ones which are flavored) or you just have to take 10-12 capsules a day. I prefer to take mine 2 at a time 5-6 times a day.

Mr Boogeyman
07-23-2009, 03:12 PM
No there isn't. You can take straight shots of liquid fish oil (which is more efficient and actually there are some decent tasting ones which are flavored) or you just have to take 10-12 capsules a day. I prefer to take mine 2 at a time 5-6 times a day.

wait so 2 teaspoons of something like this will be the same (or close) as 10 pills:
http://www6.netrition.com/now_fish_oil_liquid_page.html

Unreal
07-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Yes, 2 teaspoons of that is about the same as 8 fishoil caps. All your missing is the capsule which is just gelatin.

Mr Boogeyman
07-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Yes, 2 teaspoons of that is about the same as 8 fishoil caps. All your missing is the capsule which is just gelatin.

holy ****, i wish i'd know this before buying the pills...i can just dip 2-3 teaspoons to a small cup of orange juice in the morning and be done with it :thumbup:

Mr Boogeyman
07-24-2009, 09:40 AM
is it ok to still drink 2-3 teaspoons at once or do i have to spread them in a a day

BFGUITAR
07-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Just eat the damn fish.

blownby
07-24-2009, 10:02 AM
any fish farmed losses lots of the omega benefit....It's the cold ocean waters that has to do with the Omega content.

If your buying fish for the Omega's, be sure to get wild caught. if it's just for protein, get whatever is on sale!!

And like mentioned above supplement with fish oil.

Now brands has a super EPA pill ....2 pills 2g Omega 3 780/480mg of EPA/DHA

Unreal
07-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Spread out would probably be better but who knows. Just get your 1g a day.

YoungNoble
07-24-2009, 11:22 AM
is it ok to still drink 2-3 teaspoons at once or do i have to spread them in a a day
whatever makes you feel better. unless someone can show some research proving one way is superior than the other. don't spend too much time thinking how to take it though that you forget to end up taking it :thumbup:

ZenFitness
07-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Back to the OP - the thing about these types of articles is that they offer ZERO alternative. Yes salmon and trout (love salmon, can't stand trout), but surely they could put something constructive together instead of "tilapia sucks and then you die." All negative + no positive = all negative.

malkore
07-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Am I the only one here that buys Omega-Eggs? they have about as much EPA and DHA per egg as 2 pills. They are one component of my EFA supplementation.

blownby
07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
how much epa/dha & how many eggs.....
how much are the eggs too?

cuz two pills cost like .05c (780/480 mg) & i can get like 2 doz large "regular"eggs for $1.85,

so i'd imagine just a lot cheaper to get the omega's from a pill or oil supplement

Unreal
07-27-2009, 11:23 AM
It is a lot cheaper to get it from supplements, but eggs are tasty so why not get ones with omega 3 in them. I have two sitting in the cooler for my afternoon snack. I buy an 18 pack at costco for about $3 and hardboil to snack on.

Regular eggs aren't omega 3 eggs. Omega 3 eggs are from chickens fed with flax seed so the eggs contain more omega 3.

Optimum08
07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't sweat the petty things. Just aim for around 1g.+ each EPA and DHA/day and you should be good to go.

manowar669
07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
any fish farmed losses lots of the omega benefit....It's the cold ocean waters that has to do with the Omega content.

If your buying fish for the Omega's, be sure to get wild caught. if it's just for protein, get whatever is on sale!!

And like mentioned above supplement with fish oil.

Now brands has a super EPA pill ....2 pills 2g Omega 3 780/480mg of EPA/DHA

It's the fish's diet, not the cold water. Wild fish eat FISH. Lots of little oily fish, like anchovies and sardines. Farmed fish eat pellets which are essentially cheerios, seed oils (there's your O-6 fats) and soy. Crap. You shouldn't be eating cheerios, seed oils, and soy, so why should predators like salmon eat that ****.
Skip the middleman and eat the sardines or mackerel yourself. One tin of sardines (3.5oz) has a full day's worth of EPA/DHA, with lower mercury than larger fishes. It's also cheap, portable, full of quality protein, and the most bioavailable dietary source of Vit D and calcium.

TheGimp
07-29-2009, 07:11 AM

whatever makes you feel better. unless someone can show some research proving one way is superior than the other. don't spend too much time thinking how to take it though that you forget to end up taking it

In "The Anti-Inflammation Zone", Barry Sears wrote:

Unlike vitamins and minerals, which last only a few hours in the blood, fatty acids from fish oil last several days in the blood. So you can take your dose all at once if that's easier, or you can divide it up. You'll maintain stable blood levels either way

Either way, it should be taken after a meal for better absorption

Wild fish eat FISH. Lots of little oily fish, like anchovies and sardines

And why are anchovies and sardines oily fish? Because they eat plankton. Cutting out the middle man would be taking algae oil. Of course I am just splitting hairs here. Solid recommendation on the tinned sardines/mackerels/pilchards/anchovies/etc.

ZenFitness
07-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Canned sardines have a ton of sodium... does this matter?

Mr Boogeyman
07-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Don't sweat the petty things. Just aim for around 1g.+ each EPA and DHA/day and you should be good to go.

thats kind of hard to do since EPA and DHA are never the same..I found some pills that are 400MG of EPA and 200MG of DHA...If I take 5 Pills then I will have 1G of DHA but a whopping 2G of EPA

manowar669
07-31-2009, 10:34 AM
In "The Anti-Inflammation Zone", Barry Sears wrote:

Either way, it should be taken after a meal for better absorption

And why are anchovies and sardines oily fish? Because they eat plankton. Cutting out the middle man would be taking algae oil. Of course I am just splitting hairs here. Solid recommendation on the tinned sardines/mackerels/pilchards/anchovies/etc.

LOL, funny. The algae contains ALA/LA, and the fish convert it to EPA/DHA, much like you do with flax oil, walnuts etc. You'd have to eat a ton of it though, to get the same amount of EPA/DHA since the conversion is inefficient. In this case the middleman (fish) is necessary to do the work for you (same is true of grassfed meats). I assume you already know this though, since you're aware of Sears' information, but I replied here to inform others.

Canned sardines have a ton of sodium... does this matter?
Some do, some don't, you have to check. Sardines in tomato sauce don't, and others in olive oil don't have much. Kippered snacks are salted. And no, it doesn't matter anyway, unless you're hypertensive, have a pre-existing kidney problem, or are watching temporary water weight.

TheGimp
07-31-2009, 04:00 PM
LOL, funny. The algae contains ALA/LA, and the fish convert it to EPA/DHA, much like you do with flax oil, walnuts etc. You'd have to eat a ton of it though, to get the same amount of EPA/DHA since the conversion is inefficient. In this case the middleman (fish) is necessary to do the work for you (same is true of grassfed meats). I assume you already know this though, since you're aware of Sears' information, but I replied here to inform others.

Actually I did not. I am indeed aware that the conversion from ALA/LA to EPA/DHA is extremely inefficient in humans and that flax oil is a poor substitute for fish oil as a result. However it is my understanding that it is DHA extracted from algae directly. See, for instance, http://www.martek.com/

backdraft005
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Who cares, I love tilapia. Only eat it once a week so I don't really care. Better than eating steak everyday.

shansen008
07-31-2009, 10:56 PM
It's the fish's diet, not the cold water. Wild fish eat FISH. Lots of little oily fish, like anchovies and sardines. Farmed fish eat pellets which are essentially cheerios, seed oils (there's your O-6 fats) and soy. Crap. You shouldn't be eating cheerios, seed oils, and soy, so why should predators like salmon eat that ****.
Skip the middleman and eat the sardines or mackerel yourself. One tin of sardines (3.5oz) has a full day's worth of EPA/DHA, with lower mercury than larger fishes. It's also cheap, portable, full of quality protein, and the most bioavailable dietary source of Vit D and calcium.

Bingo we have a winner...i was scrolling down to see whether i needed to post anything or not lol. Glad i found this one.

As a general rule, youre trying to manipulate your Omega6:Omega3 intake. Americans and most westernized countries eat way too much O6 and Not enough O3. Its because of what our food is eating before it becomes our food. If your beef isnt grassfed, guess what? Its eating corn/barley/oats/etc....stuff that is high in O6 and stuff we as humans have not evolved to eat. If you shouldnt eat it, then neither should the animals you eat. Thats why i stay away from farmed fish and standard meats.

Stick to wild caught coldwater (coldwater = oily) fish, grassfed beef, and free range poultry and eggs. Doing this will dramatically change your ratio of O6:O3 in favor of O3, the way it should be.

O6:O3 ratio SHOULD be approximately 1:1, yet your average americans diet consists of more like 12-17:1. This is bad mmk?

Check out http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

Also read "The Paleo Diet" By Dr, Loren Cordain.

"In Defense of Food" is also a very good book. Read those 2 books, they are eye opening. The information in them will completely change how you look at nutrition and as a consequence, your training.

manowar669
08-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Shansn008,
If you're not already, check out the forums at crossfit.com. Tons of Paleo followers there. Also, Marks Daily apple.

shansen008
08-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Shansn008,
If you're not already, check out the forums at crossfit.com. Tons of Paleo followers there. Also, Marks Daily apple.

I actually do Crossfit, and browse the forums there all the time...thanks! There is a TON of good info there as well as here.