PDA

View Full Version : Roadbike power training.

manowar669
07-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I've been roadbiking more lately, and I'm looking for a good way to increase my power. I've read some online, but I was wondering if anybody has a good training method. From what I've read, a good method is to pick a hill that is rideable at a high tempo on a big gear and do as many intervals on it as you can manage before you are going too slow or your pulse is too high and not recovering in enough time. Is that all I need to do? I don't have, or plan to buy a power meter, but I do have a regular bike computer if that can be useful. Anybody have any experience here?

slashkills
07-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Riding hills will work im not sure what else you could do though

bowester
09-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Big ring sprints mixed with cadence work. Pick a sign 2 or 3 hundred yards away and hit it in the big ring as hard as you can, really kill it, then shift low and try to hold an rpm over a hundred for the next minute or two, then hit the big ring again, these kind of intervals will help you build power on demand. The hill work is of course awesome. Another thing is to sprint it hard for a mile after a hard ride, til you feel like your legs will explode, then let your legs ease for the last mile. When going up little uphills always push a gear higher than you want to.

Good luck,
B