PDA

View Full Version : mixing sled and eliptical.

Off Road
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I was thinking of mixing my sled dragging and eliptical machine on my off days to improve my conditioning and recovery. Should I start with the sled (exhausting) and finish with the eliptical machine (moderate pace)? Or would you start with the eliptical and finish with the sled?

I might try it both ways to see what I like better but I wanted to get some advice anyways. I'm thinking 15 minutes of each.

PS...I walk with the sled using a heavy load.

Off Road
07-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I tried it today. I did the eliptical for 15 minutes and then pulled the sled. It absolutely sucked (in a good way) :)

backseatwitme13
07-25-2009, 12:29 AM
trial and error never fails.

Tom Mutaffis
07-28-2009, 06:31 AM
I would say that it depends on what you are planning on doing with the sled. If you are going to try to work on speed then I would do the sled first - but if you are going to do drags for long distances then that is a good way to finish off a workout.

Either way I would keep the volume / intensity low if you are using it for active recovery. Maybe something like 10-15 minutes on the elliptical and 5 sets of sled drags.

Off Road
07-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks. I did 15 minutes on the eliptical and then only got 4 trips with the sled before I was just too pooped. I pull a heavy sled and walk with it [backwards and forwards] to take any momentum away. I think I'll stick with it and try to get the sled pulls up to 6 trips. Then I could always add more weight at that point.

My plan is to lift on Mon and Thur while doing the conditioning on Tues and Fri. We'll give it a few weeks to see how it's going to work.

colgate48
07-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a good plan, let us know how it goes!