PDA

View Full Version : Macro nutrients

greemah
07-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey

Attached is my current diet from Fitday (trying to cut). I have been reading about macro nutrients and not having a good time trying to understand it. Can anyone tell me what ratios I should be having? I'm 5'9", about 98kg (216lb), and have a decent amount of muscle but also a LOT of fat. One thing I don't get is I know there are good fats and bad fats, but Fitday just has one category for fat.

I gather I need to cut carbs in order to loose some fat. Can anyone give me some tips on this? All the bulk of meals seem to be carbs so I don't see what would be practical to replace it with

Thanks

Trainwreck
07-25-2009, 09:21 AM
You're cutting on 5000 calories? What is your maintenance and how much is 'a decent amount of muscle', a body fat percentage would be helpful.
Cutting carbs would be the best way to go considering you get about 500g a day. I would suggest cutting back on the number of bread slices, the almonds, the baked beans, pasta and start having more vegetables. It obviously depends on what you like to eat but the cleaner the food choices, the better.

greemah
07-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. Whoa I was thinking about macros so much I didn't even look at the calories and had no idea I was so high. I will replace the almonds with some sort of meat, and replace the two slices of bread, the cheese, and the baked beans with eggs and cereal and see how that goes.

Then after a while might start replacing some of the pasta with extra veggies, and maybe loosing another slice of bread.

Thanks for the help

Optimum08
07-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Calories are king. Macros are important but establishing a caloric deficit or surplus is the key to losing or gaining weight, respectively.

malkore
07-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Your diet looks like a bulking diet...exact opposite of what you want for cutting fat. The protein intake is spot-on if you ask me, but your fat intake is high and OMFG thats a lotta carbs. I think you're addicted to bread and pasta, and must be allergic to veggies ;)

greemah
07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the helpful input guys. I have put together a new diet now (attached). What do you think?

By the way, I only started eating almonds about three weeks ago, so the massive calorie difference isn't as bad as it looks

Trainwreck
07-28-2009, 06:13 AM
That looks a lot better. If you still find yourself having trouble losing weight, create a bigger deficit. Track your eating for a week or so and see if your bw changes; if it doesn't then you've found maintenance and if it does, then you're cutting successfully. Remember to lower the amount of calories eaten as you lose weight.