PDA

View Full Version : How long from 850-900 to 1000lbs squat?

martin
07-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Hey guys,

What kind of length of time did it take you to go from say 900 to 1000 in the squat?

How much did/does extra bodyweight help?

Also what do you think we're your key changes etc that enabled the increase? Obviously everyone will be different here but good to hear different views.

Cheers

Martin

slashkills
07-25-2009, 08:57 AM
I would find ben moore on here. I think he is the only poster to have 1000lb squat here.

Lones Green
07-25-2009, 09:02 AM
I would find ben moore on here. I think he is the only poster to have 1000lb squat here.

There's a couple more. I think Ben squatted in the 900's.

=Travis=
07-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Ben got to 1015 a couple weeks before the Big Iron meet in the spring, it was a touch high but his 1000 was lower.

Ben Moore
07-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Highest I hit was 875 in a meet. I went from that to handling 1000 in 6-8 months or so. I also added about 20lbs in BW. Talk with Wild Bill - he's closing on a 1000 and has several in his gym with that type of experience.

BFGUITAR
07-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Sam Byrd hit 1000 as well under 200lbs bodyweight. I am sure he has info as well.

Ben Moore
07-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Sam Byrd hit 1000 as well under 200lbs bodyweight. I am sure he has info as well.

Good point - forgot about him being on here.

johnewing
07-25-2009, 06:35 PM
My personal time line was
800 - 900 8 months
900 - 1000 1.5 years
1000 - 1100 4 years

The only thing different I have done training wise was to squat deeper over the entire training cycle.

Brian Hopper
07-25-2009, 08:49 PM
For me its hard to say because I was out of powerlifting since 2002. My best back then was 810@241, and seven years later I started back training and competing again. This past Feburary was my first meet back since 2002 and I squatted 875@234. Then 3-1/2 months later I did 920@238.

I think doing different exercises, such as Zerchers, all types of good mornings, SSB squats, low and high box squats with briefs or raw, olympic style squats, and using different band configuration has helped me out.

When we squat on speed day, we would use blue bands or blue and green bands together. It was all about moving that bar fast, I don't care that I can squat over 900. I'm not gonna load that bar up with a bunch of weight just because I know I can squat it, I put just enough weight on the bar that is going to make me explosive.

I hope this gives you a little bit of an idea. Like I said before, I have only been back powerlifting for 10 months now. So this is pretty much some of the things I have been doing since and it has helped me alot. Since June, we have been adding alot of exercise to our training that will hopefully work out for us. My goal by the end of this year is to squat 1000lbs and deadlift over 700lbs.

mastermonster
07-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Sam is a one in 100,000,000 specimen! I don't think anyone could reasonably expect to use Sam's time progression as a realistic example....except maybe Hercules!!!!! I'm not really sure Sam is from this Planet! LOL!

Jesse Hernandez
07-25-2009, 10:10 PM
To me this question doesn't have a cut and dry training answer. You could go from 850 to 950 with just the addition of a better squat suit in a matter of weeks. I know a guy who squats close to 600 raw. But puts on 2 ply briefs and a Frantz suit and squats 1003lbs. So the answer you could be looking for is just a matter of spending big money on a new multiply suit.

martin
07-26-2009, 07:03 AM
For me its hard to say because I was out of powerlifting since 2002. My best back then was 810@241, and seven years later I started back training and competing again. This past Feburary was my first meet back since 2002 and I squatted 875@234. Then 3-1/2 months later I did 920@238.

I think doing different exercises, such as Zerchers, all types of good mornings, SSB squats, low and high box squats with briefs or raw, olympic style squats, and using different band configuration has helped me out.

When we squat on speed day, we would use blue bands or blue and green bands together. It was all about moving that bar fast, I don't care that I can squat over 900. I'm not gonna load that bar up with a bunch of weight just because I know I can squat it, I put just enough weight on the bar that is going to make me explosive.

I hope this gives you a little bit of an idea. Like I said before, I have only been back powerlifting for 10 months now. So this is pretty much some of the things I have been doing since and it has helped me alot. Since June, we have been adding alot of exercise to our training that will hopefully work out for us. My goal by the end of this year is to squat 1000lbs and deadlift over 700lbs.

Thanks man, that's some good info there. What kind of exercises have you been adding in recently?

To me this question doesn't have a cut and dry training answer. You could go from 850 to 950 with just the addition of a better squat suit in a matter of weeks. I know a guy who squats close to 600 raw. But puts on 2 ply briefs and a Frantz suit and squats 1003lbs. So the answer you could be looking for is just a matter of spending big money on a new multiply suit.

Yeah, that's why I thought it would be good to get the different opinions of those who are around these numbers. Everyone has slightly different weaknesses, different strengths but on the whole most people respond the same to the same stimulus. Was just looking for common factors.

Personally I have started to get different weak areas as the numbers go up. My lower/mid back held me back around 700, sorted that out and it went up a fair bit. Then started alot of GHR's and got upto 840 recently @220 .

I reverse band squatted 881 in briefs the other day and I feel like my adductors and sides of my knees are taking a beating. Maybe these are now the area I need to focus more on.

The other thing I havent done for a while is speed work due to a hip injury in March. So no squatting for me for 12 weeks until I hit a circa-max phase before my last meet. I still made a 35lbs PB doing only deads, GM's and GHR's.

Whilst on the subject of circa-max do people still use it in the original style - 3 weeks 50/50 weight/tension? Was there any correlation between the number you hit during the heavy band squats and what you hit in a meet?

I did 497 bar weight plus 396 tension in briefs and suit down pre comp and hit 837. It was tough but probably not 100% max on the day. What kind of numbers did you guys do or what kind of build up do you do if it's different?

Thanks,some good info on here!

M

Lones Green
07-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Remember, it isn't uncommon for someone to make a form change and add 50 lbs to the squat.

martin
07-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Remember, it isn't uncommon for someone to make a form change and add 50 lbs to the squat.

But it's probably alot more common for guys squatting 600 to have poor form than somone squatting 900.

What kit did anyone squat 900-1000lbs in?

Brian Hopper
07-27-2009, 03:13 PM
What kit did anyone squat 900-1000lbs in?

by kit do you mean gear, such as squat suit, briefs, and knee wraps?

martin
07-28-2009, 02:54 AM
by kit do you mean gear, such as squat suit, briefs, and knee wraps?

Yeah I mean what gear :)

Jesse Hernandez
07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Well there are a few "kits" one may use to hit 1000.

I believe there is only 3 single ply 1000lb squats this year (in america). And all of them are by extremly strong guys and are at the top of the list in terms of winning there weight class. Two were walked out, and the other in a monolift. And the kits used are 2M Knee Wraps and Single ply suits.

But, im multiply "kits" there have been 40+ 1k squats this year.

2ply briefs
2.5M knee wraps
Multiply/canvas squat suits
Monolift
Higher Depth

Equals= great kit!

Brian Hopper
07-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah I mean what gear :)

There is alot of different types of gear, I think it all comes down to preference. Im a big fan of TITAN squat gear, but it seems like alot of people are wearing INZER and METAL for 2-ply. When I squatted 875lbs and 920lbs, I was wearing Titan BOSS briefs(2-ply) with a Titan Super Centurion suit (1-ply) with velcro straps. Even though I really like this combo, sometime this year I will try the Titan BOSS suit which is 2-ply.

WILD BILL
07-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I didnt train for 2yrs cause of a car accident then I started training again Nov 22nd 2007. 3 months later Feb 2008 i squatted 804lbs. Since then 17 months later I still havent done 900lbs n a meet. Its very frustrating to say the least.

Brian Hopper
07-29-2009, 07:30 AM
I didnt train for 2yrs cause of a car accident then I started training again Nov 22nd 2007. 3 months later Feb 2008 i squatted 804lbs. Since then 17 months later I still havent done 900lbs n a meet. Its very frustrating to say the least.

900lbs is right there waiting for you!!! I'm sure you will get it at the Pro-Am.

brihead301
07-29-2009, 09:42 AM
You f***ers are insane talking about your 1000 lb. squats.

martin
07-29-2009, 09:52 AM
There is alot of different types of gear, I think it all comes down to preference. Im a big fan of TITAN squat gear, but it seems like alot of people are wearing INZER and METAL for 2-ply. When I squatted 875lbs and 920lbs, I was wearing Titan BOSS briefs(2-ply) with a Titan Super Centurion suit (1-ply) with velcro straps. Even though I really like this combo, sometime this year I will try the Titan BOSS suit which is 2-ply.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Titan. I havent really used anything else and I don't see the need at the minute - I've only been competing for just over a year so far.

I use a boss suit and single ply standard briefs currently but I am ordering some boss briefs too for the WPC Worlds in Nov. Hopefully the combo wont be too much for me and will see a good increase. I love the boss suit, had an older one first but the newer version seems alot more supportive.

Have you done 900 in the gym? Do you cut any weight for meets?

Do either of you guys ever go that heavy in training - do you ever go full comp gear?

WILD BILL
07-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah I'm a big fan of Titan. I havent really used anything else and I don't see the need at the minute - I've only been competing for just over a year so far.

I use a boss suit and single ply standard briefs currently but I am ordering some boss briefs too for the WPC Worlds in Nov. Hopefully the combo wont be too much for me and will see a good increase. I love the boss suit, had an older one first but the newer version seems alot more supportive.

Have you done 900 in the gym? Do you cut any weight for meets?

Do either of you guys ever go that heavy in training - do you ever go full comp gear?

Ive done over 900 in the gym a few times now. I never cut weight for meets and I start wearing full gear 6wks out. During most of the training ill wear briefs or suit not both.

Brian Hopper
07-29-2009, 02:09 PM

I was wanting to do the WPC Worlds also, but I can't come up with the funds to go. I do plan on competing at the APF Orlando Barbell Classic on Oct 24th, and hopefully I will be able to use my new BOSS suit.

martin
07-30-2009, 03:42 PM
I was wanting to do the WPC Worlds also, but I can't come up with the funds to go. I do plan on competing at the APF Orlando Barbell Classic on Oct 24th, and hopefully I will be able to use my new BOSS suit.

Shame. I have a feeling there won't be too many of you guys flying over for the WPC World's. Shame because the venue is perfect, we had the British finals there a month ago and it's great - great set up, big threatre style seats, and amazing atmosphere.

It's only a five hour drive for me :)

Brian Hopper
07-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Shame. I have a feeling there won't be too many of you guys flying over for the WPC World's. Shame because the venue is perfect, we had the British finals there a month ago and it's great - great set up, big threatre style seats, and amazing atmosphere.

It's only a five hour drive for me :)

thanks for rubbing it in!!!!! J/K