PDA

View Full Version : Which of these is more impressive?

SGT ROCK
07-25-2009, 06:18 PM
KONSTANTINOVS 939 RAW DL WITH NO BELT at 262
JON KUC, 837X3 REPS WITH BELT ONLY AT 237 BW, OR HIS 854 WITH NO BELT AT 235
COAN 901 AT 217 IN A SINGLET, RAW WITH BELT ONLY
LAMAR GANT 638 AT 123 or his 688 at 132

I was trying to figure out which of these is most impressive, and I honestly cannot decide. For many years I thought Eddys was the best, then I started to factor in the other lifts. I have NOT done the formulas to decide so it would be intersting to see where the Schwartz would place them. Kucs triple was verified by his training partner and I realize it is the only gym lift on here but it was certainly worth mentioning. In his book he stated he did a 825 triple in front of an entire high schoold during a seminar so 837 certainly is more than believeable.

When you consider Gant, NO ONE is even close to him in the all time list, and that goes for Coan as well, being fifty or so pounds up on the all time list is truly remarkable, I dont believe anyone else at 220 has done in the 859 range.

I will add here my good friend Rich Hawthorne, if given the right time and mindset has the ONLY chance in my opinion to eclipse Gants 132 record at this time. An intersting fact is Gant was the first and perhaps only IPF lifter to hold all four records in one class, and set a WR squat and bench before ever setting a wr dl.

As for Konstantinovs, it has not fully sunken in that he did OVER NINE HUNDRED POUNDS WITHOUT A BELT! I have heard his official weight was only 262?!

What are your thoughts:

COAN, GANT, OR KONSTANTINOVS?

This should be a fun debate, looking forward to your opinions.

Semper Fi

tomv
07-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Lamar Gant's lifts are incredibly impressive, however I noticed the other day that his lockout is only about 1 inch above his knee? The man was built to deadlift haha. That being said, I still could not decide. 5xBW is absolutely ludicrous but 939 without a belt? And Coan at sub 100kg...

I shall have to ponder this further.

Tom Mutaffis
07-25-2009, 07:18 PM
All of those are extremely impressive but I have to say Coan. Based on the equipment, training, and "supplements" of his time, along with the sheer magnitude of that lift.

Pulling 900 lbs raw at under 220 lbs bodyweight is simply unbelievable. I don't know that anyone else will ever replicate that feat. Not only does he have the "wow" of absolute strength (big number) but when compared to his weight you are looking at over 4X BW raw! Konstantine would have to pull an additional 150 lbs to match that. Lamar's lifts are great in terms of ratio but he did have very good leverages and bodyweight was not as high so the absolute strength was not as impressive. It is like comparing a fast motorcycle to a fast car.

Brian Hopper
07-25-2009, 08:21 PM
This is a very hard decision but im gonna go with Ed Coan. Then maybe put Konstantine in second place.

Jesse Hernandez
07-25-2009, 08:37 PM
If Konstantine is drug free then I say his is #1.

If not, then its Ed in #1 and KK #2.

tomv
07-26-2009, 05:05 AM
Was Ed drug free?

slashkills
07-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Im going with lamar gant and jon kux i cant decide between them.

Chris Rodgers
07-26-2009, 10:51 AM
If Konstantine is drug free then I say his is #1.

If not, then its Ed in #1 and KK #2.

Haha, what?

They are all very impressive!

I'd say Coan followed shortly by Konstantin.

Jesse Hernandez
07-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Haha, what?

They are all very impressive!

I'd say Coan followed shortly by Konstantin.

Its easy. Ed Coan has been caught many times on performance enhancing drugs. KK has not. So if KK (Konstantine) is drug free, then his performance moves ahead of Coan, if he is using however then Coan is more impressive due to lighter body weight. But yes, they are all impressive.

Chris Rodgers
07-26-2009, 02:11 PM
If Konstantin is drug free then Michael Jackson didn't like little boys. :hello:

Jesse Hernandez
07-26-2009, 02:30 PM
If Konstantin is drug free then Michael Jackson didn't like little boys. :hello:

Wasnt he aquitted of all charges?:hello:

btw, all your "best meet totals" are incorrect according to proper addition. Might wanna fix them.

Clifford Gillmore
07-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Wasnt he aquitted of all charges?:hello:

btw, all your "best meet totals" are incorrect according to proper addition. Might wanna fix them.

Some of those lifts are from seperate meets, those best totals are from single meets.

Xellarz
07-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I gotta go Coan and then Konstantinovs. Grant's was no doubt beyond impressive and certainly deserves to be on this list for consideration. But he was definitely built to deadlift, as Tomv said - his lockouts were like 1" above his kneecap! I think the fast car vs fast motorcycle was a pretty good analogy.

Chris Rodgers
07-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Some of those lifts are from seperate meets, those best totals are from single meets.

:thumbup: