PDA

View Full Version : Scary PL moment!!!

robchris
07-25-2009, 08:10 PM
I know we've all had close calls while training/ competting in our beloved strength sport...

I had a real close call the other night benching. I think I touched too low and on the way up "dumped" the bar towards my face! (365lbs.)-- not a PR btw.

Thank GOD I had a good/ competent guy spotting me and he saved my a**
(I owe you Mike!) I'd be missing teeth or worse!

Anyway, not to be detered, I got back on the horse/ Bench and completed the next set w/ no problem!

Injuries are part of the game man... What are you gonna do?

I was very lucky this time!!!
What scary moments have you guys experienced thru the years?

Jesse Hernandez
07-25-2009, 08:28 PM
I know we've all had close calls while training/ competting in our beloved strength sport...

I had a real close call the other night benching. I think I touched too low and on the way up "dumped" the bar towards my face! (365lbs.)-- not a PR btw.

Thank GOD I had a good/ competent guy spotting me and he saved my a**
(I owe you Mike!) I'd be missing teeth or worse!

Anyway, not to be detered, I got back on the horse/ Bench and completed the next set w/ no problem!

Injuries are part of the game man... What are you gonna do?

I was very lucky this time!!!
What scary moments have you guys experienced thru the years?

I had been discussing different training methods and stratagies with my workout partner and was trying to figure a way we could utilize those big ass AB blow up balls into our squat workouts kinda like a box squat substitute but with the rebound of bands out of the hole kinda thing. Anyways, we were front squatting that day with 315 and i told him to trust me and try it, so i got behind him and placed the ball where he would be able to sit on it and benifit directly from the placement. I had him hit about 4 reps. He said it worked good, so I asked him to spot me while I tried, I hit my first rep and the ball work like I fully expected to help outta the hole and determine depth. I finished my first rep and my parter said "how'd that feel" I said pretty good...... So i went for my 2nd rep. Well he must of taken the "pretty good" for im done. Cause I went down to where I expetected the ball to be, released my hips and bam.....NOTHING WAS THERE!!! I quickly was getting a lesson in gravity.... I threw the 315 out in front with all I had and landed on my ass...... Everyone was like dude are u okay.... my pride was hurt more than anything, and I quickly laughed it off. I took my training partner aside and was like dude. WTF, u cant be any more accountable than that, then we're through. He quickly apolagized and exlained the mess up.

kinda funny, but I could of been hurt too.

johnnyo_99
07-26-2009, 09:52 AM
i wasn't so lucky...

i was at a meet and during the bench press I was pressing the weight upward, I lost control and dumped the weight (275lb) on to the right side of my face. The spotters at the meet were completely negligent, still don't know how they let it happen.... I fractured bones in 3 seperate places and had to have titanium plates put in my face...talk about a pride buster, try getting carted off on a stretcher in front of 100 people watching the meet...on top of it all my wife and son where right there when it happened and saw it all......the hardest part is convincing her that i want to continue to lift...

1 month later i was back under the bar, i'm more focused than ever and training with great partners...

roots
07-26-2009, 12:12 PM
i wasn't so lucky...

i was at a meet and during the bench press I was pressing the weight upward, I lost control and dumped the weight (275lb) on to the right side of my face. The spotters at the meet were completely negligent, still don't know how they let it happen.... I fractured bones in 3 seperate places and had to have titanium plates put in my face...talk about a pride buster, try getting carted off on a stretcher in front of 100 people watching the meet...on top of it all my wife and son where right there when it happened and saw it all......the hardest part is convincing her that i want to continue to lift...

1 month later i was back under the bar, i'm more focused than ever and training with great partners...

holy ****, thats brutal ! I havent been powerlifting very long, so I havent had that many scary moments/injuries. The only two so far have been: almost crushing my face with 315 off a 4 board bench- i dropped it too fast but luckily my spotter caught it, and crushing my pinky finger during re-racking of squats in a power rack with 225.

vdizenzo
07-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Glad you are ok. I did not even read any of the other posts. I have lived through a few and have seen too many. Stay safe everyone.

Jesse Hernandez
07-26-2009, 01:50 PM
i wasn't so lucky...

I think I was there when that happened......tulsa?! AAU? May 2nd?

johnnyo_99
07-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I think I was there when that happened......tulsa?! AAU? May 2nd?

thats it

ThomasG
07-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Drop sets with dumb-bells. Lowered the first set down on the other dumbbells crushing my finger. So nothing too bad.

I used to have exercise induced head aches holy **** those sucked.

Jesse Hernandez
07-26-2009, 02:50 PM
thats it

yea I was there. Idiot spotters, and the ambulence came like 30 minutes later. I didnt even wanna continue lifting after that. I was disgusted in them, my buddy threw 470 over his face and the spotters werent there again... lucky he was fast....

Ryano
07-26-2009, 03:53 PM
If it was easy and safe, everyone would be doing it. You take reponsibility for your safety while under the weight. I've been kept safe many times by spotters but ultimately it's your responsibility. I will never blame a spotter for "not saving me". At my last meet a lifter in the flight before me was attempting a weight that I was opening with. His left forearm fractured with a compound fracture. Did the spotters save him. Damn right they did. He broke his arm, but he's alive to lift again. I was definately thinking about seeing that lift on my opener, but I got under it and did it. Adapt and overcome. Don't blame someone for not helping you enough. As long as they try, that's all you can ask. If they intentionally put you in a bad situation that's different. IMO.

Detard
07-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I was doing skull crushers one time, and I had a guy hand me the barbell while I layed on the bench. He dropped it right on my face because "he thought i was holding it". Turns out, he was high as ****, he smoked a joint right before he got to the gym. It wasn't that heavy, but ****, that **** still hurts. That was the last time I let some random gym goer help me out

robchris
07-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Jesse,

I've had a few sqaut mis-haps myself over the years... I dumped 225 the other day similar to your incident while repping out on the last set. Luckly I was in a power rack & it just made a lot of noise. The bar did take a little chuck out of my back but nothing major.

Johnny,

WHERE THE HELL WAS THE ER-RACKS??? I lift in the usapl and they're far from my favorite fed, but dam* at least they have the ER safety bench spotter racks! I'm very sorry to hear about your accident and I commend you on your drive & dedication to get back in the game & under the bar!

I've read statistically or sport is far safer than a lot of other sport, esp. contact like football or boxing/ MMA

Jesse Hernandez
07-26-2009, 04:47 PM
If it was easy and safe, everyone would be doing it. You take reponsibility for your safety while under the weight. I've been kept safe many times by spotters but ultimately it's your responsibility. I will never blame a spotter for "not saving me". At my last meet a lifter in the flight before me was attempting a weight that I was opening with. His left forearm fractured with a compound fracture. Did the spotters save him. Damn right they did. He broke his arm, but he's alive to lift again. I was definately thinking about seeing that lift on my opener, but I got under it and did it. Adapt and overcome. Don't blame someone for not helping you enough. As long as they try, that's all you can ask. If they intentionally put you in a bad situation that's different. IMO.

thats what im saying. They didnt.

Ryano
07-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I had been discussing different training methods and stratagies with my workout partner and was trying to figure a way we could utilize those big ass AB blow up balls into our squat workouts kinda like a box squat substitute but with the rebound of bands out of the hole kinda thing. Anyways, we were front squatting that day with 315 and i told him to trust me and try it, so i got behind him and placed the ball where he would be able to sit on it and benifit directly from the placement. I had him hit about 4 reps. He said it worked good, so I asked him to spot me while I tried, I hit my first rep and the ball work like I fully expected to help outta the hole and determine depth. I finished my first rep and my parter said "how'd that feel" I said pretty good...... So i went for my 2nd rep. Well he must of taken the "pretty good" for im done. Cause I went down to where I expetected the ball to be, released my hips and bam.....NOTHING WAS THERE!!! I quickly was getting a lesson in gravity.... I threw the 315 out in front with all I had and landed on my ass...... Everyone was like dude are u okay.... my pride was hurt more than anything, and I quickly laughed it off. I took my training partner aside and was like dude. WTF, u cant be any more accountable than that, then we're through. He quickly apolagized and exlained the mess up.

kinda funny, but I could of been hurt too.
You can't blame that on anyone. Just lack of communication. You could have been hurt, yes, but you got lucky. Good job, you learned that next time you need to let everyone know their responsibilities while spotting. Everybody learns, you get a PR. It'll work.

barbell01
07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=Ryano;2182643]If it was easy and safe, everyone would be doing it. You take reponsibility for your safety while under the weight. I've been kept safe many times by spotters but ultimately it's your responsibility. I will never blame a spotter for "not saving me". At my last meet a lifter in the flight before me was attempting a weight that I was opening with. His left forearm fractured with a compound fracture. Did the spotters save him. Damn right they did. He broke his arm, but he's alive to lift again. I was definately thinking about seeing that lift on my opener, but I got under it and did it. Adapt and overcome. Don't blame someone for not helping you enough. As long as they try, that's all you can ask. If they intentionally put you in a bad situation that's different. IMO.[/QU

i know charlie, that was very unfortunate, great spotters though. if i don't feel confident in the spotters, i use my own. before we get in the shirts, we have a short talk about paying attention and what can happen if someone f's up. i've seen some nasty $hit happen.

twm
07-26-2009, 06:02 PM
I had to dump a push press from overhead just shy of lockout (i'm 6' so probably 8' up) when i lost my balance and started falling backwards... without bumper plates. it broke the barbell and almost crushed this guy standing behind me... very embarrassing and i kind of tweaked my back but I was really happy no one was hurt more than anything.

chrisa1
07-26-2009, 06:04 PM
My most recent one has had me out for a few weeks now. Was squatting at the school gym, not at the Anvil with the regular guys. Spotter got startled when someone dropped a clean on the other side of the gym. He twisted to see what happened... I had 227.5kg on my back... Doc said the scan showed a hole about the size of a quarter in one of the muscles back there... If i ever see that dude again, i mite have to punch him.

Other than that, at the University of Waterloo Gym, they found tightening the bolts in the bars was too much work... so they took them out. 405 for a 4 board, and the bar fell apart as soon as i put it back in the rack... I got lucky that time

Hazerboy
07-27-2009, 12:40 AM
The only serious accident I've had was warming up with 115 lbs on bench. I knocked out an easy couple reps, then RAMMED the bar back into the uprights. One of the sides either bounced off or I missed the pin by just a smidge. Right side of the far fell flat on my face - INSTANT nosebleed. I've never had blood just EXPLODE everywhere like that before (and I've gotten quiet a few nosebleeds in wrestling). My forehead was pretty bruised and my faced was scrapped up from the knurling though I finished the workout. On the bus ride back everyone thought I had gotten in a fight XD

Ironically, my partner asked if i needed a spot right before hand. "Naw, I'm just warming up!" LOL.

Not nearly as bad as some of you though I do have a picture: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112151&page=5 . Its about halfway down, you can see where my face was very slowly bleeding XD

mastermonster
07-27-2009, 02:09 AM
My scarry moment was for my training partner who was also in the meet. It was at APF Masters Nationals last year. I'd already blown a vessel in my nose and squirted blood on my last squat. On my opening bench of 584 I couldn't get it to touch and tried rolling it down toward my belly with my wrist. Well, I dumped it on my stomach and at the same time the vessel blew again and blood squirted out on my face and my partner said "I thought you were dead!" I was temporarily touched by his concern until his next comment; "I thought I was going to have to break down all of this equipment and take it home by my self!"...some friend! LOL! P.S. We'd brought a monolift and the sound system down with us.

blownby
07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Any time i have a weight i will need a spot for I definitly make sure i have my tried & trusted spotters/buddies on hand or a very secure cage to catch the weight!

Things can go very bad very quick! I remeber the first time i used a bench shirt.....that weight either wants your face or your gut!:omg: