PDA

View Full Version : Weight Woe's, not body building, but I think you guys could help!

thirty-five
07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Ok guys, I need some help.
I'm cutting for a fight, and coming off of my last weight cut, I can't seem to lose weight, and it's extremely frustrating.
Before my last cut I weighed 133 steady, and made an easy cut to 129. Afterwards, my weight shot up to 140, and stayed there. It literally would take me 2 months to get back down to 133.

Since 2 months is too long in between fights, I had to figure out why it takes so long to drop weight. I was eating 1800 calories/day, and still not losing any weight.

After troubleshooting my diet with a dietitian, he thought I should zig-zag my calories. He also thought for my level of activity, I was eating too few calories, so he asked that I increase my calories to 2800/day for 4 days, then 2400/day for 4 days. He said my weight would increase, but then I would start to lose weight as my metabolism revved up.
So I tried that, and now my weight is stuck at 144! This is the absolute most I've ever weighed in my life, and I'm working out harder and more than I ever have before. I ride my bicycle 30/min every morning before eating, avg. 22 mph. Then in the afternoon I spend two hours doing bjj/wrestling/boxing
On the flip side, I am not drinking all that much water.
I need some advice, or a pointer in the right direction.
Thanks guys.

Recently, I have been eating 1800 cal/day or so.

Joe Black
07-28-2009, 02:31 AM
129 is a pretty low weight and let's not forget that if your weight naturally sits at about 140, it just ain't gonna be easy to get your weight down to <130.

The only real way is probably what you have already been doing - low calories and as much cardio as you can.

Don;t most fighters use extreme methods of weight loss to make a fight? (normally because it is not natural for them to actually be at that weight and something extreme is needed) Can you not use such methods?

thirty-five
07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Yes and no.
Weight cutting may seem extreme for you guys, but it's the norm for us. While I don't use diuretics, I do cut about 10 pounds via water weight using a sauna suit and albolene (a make-up remover which holds open pores) in conjunction with a sauna. This allows me to walk in on fight night 10-13 pounds heavier than my opponent.

However, 10lbs is about my max. I don't want to cut more than that, for fear of major over-heating issues.

I'm frustrated because only two or three months ago, I weighed 133 walking around, now I can barely break 140.

TheGimp
07-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Please provide specific details of what you're eating.

And please please eat something before you get on that bike in the morning.

thirty-five
07-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Breakfast
6 egg whites
1 whole egg
4 oz Fat Free Yogurt
2 Scoops Whey Protein
1 small bowl of Unfrosted Mini Wheats
for about 930 calories

Lunch
1 serving of Spring Green Salad (No dressing)
1 medium Banana
1 small pear
1 small apple
For around 340 calories

Dinner
Bowl of Oatmeal
1 medium banana
1 small bowl of Unfrosted Mini Wheats
for around 400

about 1700 calories total

XMadmanX
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
i'm not to sure about boxing diets, but maybe try and cut carbs and eat more protein instead?

TheGimp
07-29-2009, 07:38 PM
You're eating no fat and little protein. I'm not surprised you are having trouble losing weight.

The calorie intake is probably ok, you just need to completely change the contents.