PDA

View Full Version : Centurion squat suit

BFGUITAR
07-27-2009, 05:54 PM
So I put it on today for my first time. It was interesting. One thing I noticed is to REALLY force the knees out. I don't know if my stance is too wide for the suit... because I feel A LOT of tightness in the groin area pulling my knees in... perhaps I need to get a suit for a wide stance... either way im not sure. I don't know if what im feeling is how the suit feels or if there is something wrong. I made sure to get it as high as I can and that did seem to help. I got a moderate stance suit... and my feet are right outside shoulder width. Should I have gotten a wide stance suit?

Sidior
07-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Get a vid man! It's really hard to critique equipped lifting without one. It may be a form issue, or just not seated correctly.

Based on what you said though it sounds like the suit should fit your squat style fine. I have always noticed I need to force my knees out more when squatting equipped too.

BFGUITAR
07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
But why do I need to do that though? That just makes squatting like 100 times harder. Aren't there squat suits that don't do that? I squatted today and got up to two singles of 385 just to work it in. Some parts are really loose and probably need to be fixed. The suit isn't much tighter when I put the straps on.

I will get a vid next time.

isaku900
07-27-2009, 07:07 PM
But why do I need to do that though? That just makes squatting like 100 times harder. Aren't there squat suits that don't do that? I squatted today and got up to two singles of 385 just to work it in. Some parts are really loose and probably need to be fixed. The suit isn't much tighter when I put the straps on.

I will get a vid next time.

that's how the suit loads. if you don't force your knees out the seams don't stretch and rebound.

BFGUITAR
07-29-2009, 08:44 PM
that's how the suit loads. if you don't force your knees out the seams don't stretch and rebound.

But how do I know if the suit I got is meant for more narrow squatters? My stance is well outside shoulder width... but not far out like I see others. I guess a video will have to be done.

BFGUITAR
07-29-2009, 10:31 PM
I would say my squat stance is similar to this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az49UMdY1h0&feature=related

Is that moderate or wide in terms of a super centurion squat suit?

Or even this stance... (the first guy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1EhW3QVgP0&feature=related

BigTallOx
07-30-2009, 10:06 AM
I would say my squat stance is similar to this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az49UMdY1h0&feature=related

Is that moderate or wide in terms of a super centurion squat suit?

Personally, I wouldn't call that wide. It's not narrow, but it's not wide either ( it's kind of how I squat too ). A wide stance squatter couldn't squat in that rack, or at least the guy that I squat with who goes wide couldn't.

For comparison ( since it sounds like we have similar stances ), I've been using a narrow stance metal IPF squat suit for about 6 months. I don't feel like I need to force my knees out.

BFGUITAR
07-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Personally, I wouldn't call that wide. It's not narrow, but it's not wide either ( it's kind of how I squat too ). A wide stance squatter couldn't squat in that rack, or at least the guy that I squat with who goes wide couldn't.

For comparison ( since it sounds like we have similar stances ), I've been using a narrow stance metal IPF squat suit for about 6 months. I don't feel like I need to force my knees out.

I will really force the suit higher on my legs... I think that's the trick.

BigTallOx
07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I will really force the suit higher on my legs... I think that's the trick.

Good luck, post a video.

mike95763
07-30-2009, 11:03 AM
I got the super centurion squat suit a little while ago. When I ordered it from Ken Anderson, I told him that my squat stance is a little wider than shoulder width when I squat raw and he recommended that I get a wide stance suit. I cant really say that it has worked out well for me at this point as I haven't been able to use it much of late, but I never felt like it pulled my knees in unless I didn't have it on all the way.

BFGUITAR
07-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I told him the same thing and he told me to get the moderate suit... hah weird. Is it not working out because you haven't been using the suit?

mike95763
07-30-2009, 11:09 AM
The suit actually feels great. I like the wide cut a lot. I am not using it now because I messed up my knee and can't squat right now.

BFGUITAR
08-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Here is a vid from my competition for my stance... I think it's pretty wide isnt it?
qaaXMoVhCqs

Sean S
08-02-2009, 01:18 PM
No, your stance isn't that wide. When I first started powerlifting my stance was similar to yours and I used a regular centurion fine. Make sure you get the crotch and legs all the way up and push up the material on the outside of the leg an inch or two if necessary. There will likely be a little resistance to pushing your knees out, but that's just part of wearing gear.

barbell01
08-02-2009, 01:19 PM
it's wide, but not real wide, definitly not narrow

Lones Green
08-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Here is a vid from my competition for my stance... I think it's pretty wide isnt it?
qaaXMoVhCqs

Not when you compare it to a stance like this

sbprt0bVUP8

BFGUITAR
08-02-2009, 01:27 PM
No, your stance isn't that wide. When I first started powerlifting my stance was similar to yours and I used a regular centurion fine. Make sure you get the crotch and legs all the way up and push up the material on the outside of the leg an inch or two if necessary. There will likely be a little resistance to pushing your knees out, but that's just part of wearing gear.

Ok, I'll do that. I didn't know that there will always been resistance pushing to pushing the knees out no matter what. I know someone with sleeves so it shouldn't be too bad to bring them up. It just seems weird that squatting 315 for two is harder to do in a new suit than raw... is that weird?

Sean S
08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I've always found I need better technique to SQ successfully in a suit or briefs than I do raw. So if your technique is off a little bit it can make squatting in your suit more difficult. It is going to be tough to diagnose your problem without some video.

BFGUITAR
08-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Ok I wore the suit again and it fit PERFECTLY. It really needed to be worked in. I got it a bit higher than before (I know I got it high enough when it felt like my testicles went in to my stomach). I had no problems keeping my knees out like before. Thanks for the input guys!