PDA

View Full Version : Redesigning my diet, help please

backdraft005
07-27-2009, 07:58 PM
any help would be appreciative

so here's my usual weekday diet.

health cereal -i.e. cheerios, wheaties, etc. or wheat toast w/ butter, jam, or p.b.

snack -granola or cereal bar

lunch -turkey or ham with lettuces, humus, and cheese) or leftover dinner

my protein shake after working out

dinner -this is where its hit or miss, it can be health or it can be bad

then on the weekend, again it can go either way.

for the most part im good day to day, but the weekend i think sets me back. however i think maybe that my workout is incomplete.

I work out 4 days a week, 10 minutes cardio then lifting, then 15 minutes cardio (both times is low intensity). my rep/set system is 5x 12-10-8-6-4 (while increase weight) but maybe its not enough anymore? let know what you think. hit me with alternative foods and exercise plans.

Justin Ryan
07-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Looks like your not getting much for protein, a lot of carbs though. If your trying to gain weight, you need to eat more. Try .75~1g of protein/lb of body weight.

You're going to need to post up more info than this though. I.E, what are your goals? Height? weight? age? It looks like your asking for Workout advice, whats your workout actually look like?

Look at the Sticky above in this section called "starting Strength" for a good workout routine

backdraft005
07-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Here are my stats:
Male
23 years old
5'8"
240 pounds (though most people wouldn't guess that)

My goal is simply to lose 40-50 pounds and replace at least half that with muscle.

As for not eating enough, im consistently eating and the granola is pretty high protein. my stomach has shrunk so i have too continually eat to get the calories.

I think I think I am going to do Starting Strength, starting Wednesday. I do all the exercise except powerclean, so tomorrow I am going to ask a coworker to help me develop my technique. I'm excited to try it out, as I am still making solid gains with my current workout plan.

But please POST YOUR DIET! Or various meal plans! Or tips on avoiding the weekend diet trap.

Justin Ryan
07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Its great to hear your workout plan is doing well.

To lose weight and maintain muscle your going to need to eat less than maintinance, and enough protein for your bodyweight. I'm not really great at the whole nutrition thing to plan meals...

On avoiding the weekend bad food trap, i have a problem with it too. Honestly, you just kindof have to not do it. Plan your meals ahead as best you can. if you have to eat fast food, work on finding a fast food that is relatively healthy... Keep healthy granola bars on you if you need a fast snack somewhere. I usually keep a box of nutrigrain bars in my car, for breaks at school.

I hope this helps a little, I'm not very good at the whole nutrition part of it.

Good luck with everything. I'm sure someone else will have a much better answer to your question

Pav
07-27-2009, 08:44 PM
id drink more than 1 shake a day.. lose the breakfeast.. eat eggwhites.. grab some multi vitamins.. and tuna, cottage cheese, fish, peanuts, almonds, veggies.. are some alternatives you may want to toss into the diet.. id get rid of the granola bars.. its difficult though to eat those foods and takes a lot of dedication

you'll lose weight with your current diet as well as long as it is under maintenance but you'll lose muscle as well

Pav
07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
chicken breasts i forgot

backdraft005
07-28-2009, 04:04 AM
Under maintenance huh? My calorie intake 2200 a day based on weight (I've changed it to 2350 for what muscle gain and what fat lost).

Whats idea for under maintenance? 10% deficit? 20% deficit? Or should i just just eat close to half a meal, like 250-350 calories?