PDA

View Full Version : ZenFitness's Journal

ZenFitness
07-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Okay well I'm going to try my hand at journaling my workouts here.

Background: for a number of months (almost a year) I started working out again. The last time I seriously lifted was in high school for football (I am now 33 years old). Last summer (2008) I weighed roughly 225 - 230 lbs. I focused on diet and cardio, and I have since dropped about 25 - 30 lbs. (I'm at 200 lbs. now). During that time, I worked on dumbbell exercises. The thing was, while I lifted more with the dumbbells than most of the other guys in the gym, I knew I wasn't nearly as strong as I could be. To top it off, most of the bigger lifters in the gym didn't touch dumbbells and instead stuck with barbells. So my quest for strength began, and I found this site (among other things).

So I'm 33 years old, 6' 3" tall, 200 lbs.

Short term goals:

1. Squat more than I bench (I've always been a crappy squatter and I am resolved to change that)
2. Bench more than 225 as a work set
3. Be able to do 3 sets of 10 weighted pull ups
4. Squat, bench, and deadlift more than I weigh.

I have been doing a variant of the Starting Strength program (from the SS wiki) for just over a week:

Practical Programming Novice Program:
Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

I also add weighted situps to strengthen my core ab muscles.

Right now I am doing pull ups every workout because I want to become good at them and train myself to do them before I routine them (I've never been good at pull ups).

Last night I had a bench/deadlift day, and here is where I am (not counting warmup sets):

Squat: 135 lbs. 3 sets of 5
Bench: 165 lbs. 3 sets of 5
Deadlift: 205 lbs. 1 set of 5
Pullups: took 6 sets to get to 30... better than I have been doing, but deadlift days really sap the energy
Weighted situps: ran out of time so only got two sets of 20 @ 25 lbs.

I started SS with squat at 135, but I seem to have some kind of mental block with that weight. It is hard to deep squat with it, but I know I can do it... for some reason I tend to get a mental block. So I initially rolled the weight back about 20 lbs. and have built back up. Yesterday was better but still not as good as I wanted. Better, though. I know I'll get there.

Just to round it off, my next lift day (Thursday) I will do press at 110 lbs.

brihead301
07-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Good stuff man. Good idea starting a journal. I'm looking forward to see how strong you're gonna get from this!

ZenFitness
07-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks man... and thanks for your encouragement here and elsewhere.

slashkills
07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
ill be following your progress.

ZenMonkey
07-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Good luck bro, SS will kick your butt!!

ZenFitness
07-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Week 3, workout 1:

Squat: 145
Press: 110
Pull ups: 5 sets to 30
Weighted hyperextensions
Weighted situps

Squats were awesome today. For some reason 135 was a mental block for me. I thought I would just do 140 and said **** it 145, and they went well. I was two pullups away from just four sets. Banged out nine in my first set which is great for me.

Light weight for the heavier lifters, but I'm very pleased.

ZenFitness
08-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Week 3 workout 2:

Squat: 155
Bench: 170
Deadlift: 215
Pull ups: 5 sets to 30, missed 4 sets by 3 reps
Ab stuff... Trying to find something other than weighted situps because the bench tears up my tailbone

good day today not feeling wiped out anymore after workouts because my body is used to squats and DL now. Weight still moving up so I'm happy

ZenFitness
08-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Week 3 workout 3:

Squat: 165
Press: 115
Pullups: 4 sets to 30 (finally) banged out 10 on my first set
Weighted hyperextensions: 15 reps @ 25 lbs., 3 sets.

Did 15 min cardio afterwards with some HIIT (5 min warmup, 5 min HIIT, 5 min cool down)

Struggled on the squat and the press. Could only get four reps on the last two sets of the press... almost five each. I did the squats but I'm wondering if my form is suffering... I may deload it, we will see.

Lower back is hurting tonight... I think it is from the press. Not sore, more like sharp pain with certain movements. I'll give it a day or two... two days rest now until my next workout.

ZenFitness
08-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Okay so I am changing my routine... I am not dissing SS here, but it is just not for me. I know it is supposed to get more challenging as the weight goes up (which I know it will and it has somewhat), but I am looking for something slightly different and more varied. I'm not calling myself an expert, but I think the advantage for SS lies more for folks who are not used to lifting. During the past three weeks (plus a couple weeks before that resting from a chest injury), I have noticed that the only gains I am really making are from my pullup work. I'm not feeling stronger and if anything feel a little bit like I'm losing muscle (I have been lifting for a while prior to trying SS).

After some help from a couple of guys here, I am going to target 5x5 exercises like the following (I'm built like a basketball player, so I'm using front squats instead of back squats because my anatomical build handles them better):

Workout A: Deadlift, Pullup, Dip, Front Squat
Workout B: Bench Press, Hyper Extensions, DB Row, Bulgarian Squats
Workout C: Good Mornings, Military Press, Chin Ups, Front Squats

I will mix in some ab work on each of these days (some weighted, some not)

Yesterday did workout A:

(some warmup sets for each of the weighted exercises)
Deadlift: 225 lbs. 5x5
Pullup: Took five sets to get to 30, deadlift saps the energy a bit more than the squats did previously
Dip: 10 reps, 10 reps, 6 reps @ 25 lbs., 5 reps @ 25 lbs., 5 reps @ 25 lbs. (I think going forward I will do 5x5 with the weight, 10 reps unweighted is super easy for me on dips)
Front Squat: getting used to the form here, so I took it light: 95 lbs., 95 lbs., 115 lbs., 115 lbs., 115 lbs.
Plank: Three sets of one minute each
Bicycle: 50 reps, 80 reps, 100 reps

ELmx479
08-07-2009, 01:19 PM
You might want to stick with SS and give it some time. Maybe take a closer look at your diet if your feeling weak. If you want to front squat you could do it on Wednesday.

Ex:
mon-squat, bench, DL
wed-front squat, press, power clean/or row
mon-squat, bench, DL
repeat..

LuNa
08-07-2009, 07:51 PM
You should really give a program the time to work. I know that in the beginning SS doesnt feel like much and you are craving for more volume. Keep increasing the weight and intensity and i am pretty sure those 3 exercises will kick your butt. Stick to the program and give it atleast 12 weeks. As long as you are lifting more weight than previous, you are getting stronger and bigger.

ZenFitness
08-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the comments... I definitely appreciate the thoughts, and yes, I didn't give SS a huge amount of time. That said, I still don't feel like it is for me. I was making gains before on my own programming, and with this new routine, if it doesn't work, I'll go back to SS. I'm not doubting the validity of SS or anything of the sort, but I also realize it's not the only game in town. I just don't particularly like it, but if I'm not making progress otherwise, I'll come back to it. My wife even commented that I looked softer after I had done SS for three weeks (even though I was trying to push at it).

Today:

DB Row: 75 lbs. 5x5
Hyperextensions: 35 lbs. 5x10
Bench: 165 lbs. 5x5 (dropped the weight back slightly just to accommodate the extra two sets for starters)
Bulgarian Squats: 45 lbs. 5x5

Accentuated crunches (3 sets)
Pullof Press (3 sets to strengthen core muscles)
Leg raises (1 set)

HIIT for 20 minutes

ZenFitness
08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
In a pinch for time today:

Good Mornings: Getting used to the lift, 115 lbs. 5x5
Press: 100 lbs. 5x5. Still causes a little lower back discomfort, but better
Chinup: 4 sets to 30, not far from 3 sets. MUCH easier than pullups.
Front Squats: 115 lbs. 5x5 Second time for this exercise, and I have a much better feel for how to do it. I can really feel the difference between this and back squats... I have a much easier time in the hole with the front squats b/c of my build.

Ran out of time for core exercises, but I did some hand walkouts from feet when I got home and had more time.

brihead301
08-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Sorry to hear that you're not liking the program, but if it's not for you, it's not for you. You gotta be having fun and enjoying yourself in order to stay motivated, so do what ya gotta do! Looking forward to seeing your progress in whatever you decide to go with.

ZenFitness
08-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks brihead... you hit the nail on the head. I also mean no disrespect to SS... from what I can tell it is a great program, just not a fit for where I'm at. If I don't see gains with this new route, I'll go back.

The one good thing (which applies to both programs) is that I have never mixed in chins and pullups on a program. Man, it makes a big difference! My shoulders and lats have benefited quite a bit.

ZenFitness
08-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Week 5 Workout A:

Body Weight: 202 lbs.

Deadlift: 245 5x5
Pullups: Unweighted 5x5 (I widened my grip to increase the difficulty)
Dips: 30 lbs. weighted 5x5
Front Squats: 125 lbs. 5x5 (still light weight to get used to it, but I'm really loving front squats... the form fits much more naturally to my body. I'm going to keep increasing the weight each week... I can really focus the efforts in my legs and core vs. back squats and get much deeper)
Planks: 3 sets of 1 minute each

ZenFitness
08-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Week 5 Workout B:

Bench: 170 lbs. 5x5
Hyperextensions: 55 lbs. 6 reps, 8 reps, 10 reps, 10 reps, 6 reps
One arm row: 80 lbs. 5x5
Bulgarian Split Squat: 55 lbs. 5x5

Accentuated Crunches: 50 lbs. 3x10
Pallof Press: 60 lbs. 3x10
Hanging Knee Raise: 1x30

HIIT for 20 min.

Overall great workout day, I was surprised at how easy the exercises were today. I'm still trying to add weight every workout a la SS even though I'm doing a different set of exercises. I was really surprised at how easy bench was today.

BigCorey75
08-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Good making a journal so we can track your progress, how are you liking the new routine, looks killer, who ever gave it to you knows their stuff about programming and total body workouts...;)

ZenFitness
08-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks man, so far I really like the new routine. Those Bulgarian Squats are killers... nasty and I love 'em :)

ZenFitness
08-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Week 5 Workout C:

Body weight: 204 lbs.

Good Mornings: 125 lbs. 5x5 (I'm resisting running the weight up on these... trying to be patient at lighter weight to handle form)
Press: 105 lbs. 5x5
Chin ups: 10 reps, 9 reps, 7 reps, 8 reps
Front Squats: 130 lbs. 5x5

Hand Walkouts From Feet: 2 x 10 (first time ever, these are brutal)
Bicycle: 60 reps

brihead301
08-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Gotta love the bulgarian split squats. Nice training in here. What routine are you doing now?

ZenFitness
08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks Brihead... I'm still building up the core strength but I'm progressing.

This is a routine that BigCorey put together for me... here is the workout:

Workout A: Deadlift, Pullup, Dip, Front Squat
Workout B: Bench Press, Hyper Extensions, DB Row, Bulgarian Squats
Workout C: Good Mornings, Military Press, Chin Ups, Front Squats

I'm doing 5x5 sets across (same weight on each set) and adding weight for each exercise a la SS. The objective is to do a full body workout, not to load the spine in consecutive workouts, and to get a squat exercise, deadlift exercise, push exercise, pull exercise, and core exercise each time.

My plan is, once I have increased my strength enough, is to do wave programming (again thanks to BigC), but, for now, I'm just adding on a little bit at a time. The big advantage so far is that my squatting is much better. I've got long enough legs that back squats are tough for me to get deep on, but a front squat I can get down deep in the hole with no problem. The weight is a little lighter for now, but I'm sticking with them until I feel like I have enough strength to go back to trying back squats. Back squats are weird for me because the weight is really easy and then suddenly, at a certain weight, I can't get deep anymore... my CNS just takes over and says "Nope!"

brihead301
08-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Awesome, this is very similar to SS. Good stuff man!

ZenFitness
08-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Week 6 Workout A:

Body weight: 203 lbs.

Deadlift: 255 lbs. 5x5
Pullups: Unweighted 5x5 (man tough to grip after the deadlifts)
Dips: 35 lbs. 5x5 (very last rep was not very good... going to hold this weight next time)
Front Squat: 135 lbs. 5x5

Planks: 3 sets of 60 seconds
Bicycles: 100 reps

Now that I can really see myself squatting (with the front squat in the mirror as opposed to back squat when I wouldn't be able to look up that far and keep good form), I can totally see that I do not get parallel until I am *all* the way down (i.e. butt to calves). It works great with a front squat, but it also shows me why I had such difficulty with getting low on back squat). Good workout today, though. The dips at that weight were tough to get through, and the deadlifts were a beast.

ZenFitness
08-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Week 6 Workout B:

Body Weight: 204 lbs.

Bench Press: 175 lbs. 5x5
Hyperextensions: 60 lbs. 3x5, 70 lbs. 2x5
Dumbbell Row: 85 lbs. 5x5
Bulgarian Split Squat: 65 lbs. 5x5
Accentuated Crunches: 60 lbs. 2x10, 1x8
Pallof Press: 70 lbs. 3x10
Hanging Leg Raises: 1x30

No HIIT today, didn't have time.

ZenFitness
08-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Week 6 Workout C: (day late b/c had an emergency yesterday)

Good Mornings: 135 lbs. 5x5 (still resisting running the weight up on these... want to make sure I have good form)
Overhead Press: 110 lbs. 5x5
Chinups: weighted 10 lbs. 3x6, 2x5
Front Squats: 145 lbs. 5x5

Hand walkouts from feet: 3x10
Bicycle kicks: 100 reps

This week is funky b/c I was supposed to workout yesterday instead of today, so my timing this week will be different.

brihead301
08-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Nice work as usual. Definately be careful with those good mornings though. That's one exercise where it definately pays to leave your ego at the door.

ZenMonkey
08-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Nice WO man. Keep it trucking. Id really consider keeping back squats in your routine. There is nothing like them. For novice gains the back squat is essential... not necessary, nothing is necessary, but essential to a solid foundation.

ZenFitness
08-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys... I appreciate the encouragement. The main thing that stuck out yesterday is that the last time I OH pressed in SS was 115 3x5. However, I couldn't get the last rep on the last two sets, and it hurt my back something fierce. Yesterday I did 110 5x5, and, while I had to put in the effort, I can really feel the increase in strength on this lift. I'm looking forward to breaking that 115 level over the next two lifts with the extra two sets to boot.

@Brihead yes the GM's make me a little nervous. It is a good deadlift variant, but I would be open to suggestions on that exercise. I think it is a great lift but I worry about injury if my form is not right (I think it is, but then I'm not sure 100%). If you have any alternate exercise suggestions, I'd be open to hearing them.

@ZenMonkey I am actually revisiting trying to do the back squat. My main problem is being able to get low enough... my physical frame makes it difficult. Parallel for me literally means all the way down (I have a long torso), and front squats are easier in this regard. However, I am re-thinking it... my thought is to keep the front squat until I feel strong enough to try the back squat again. On the back squat, if I roll the weight back to where I can get low enough, it doesn't feel like I'm lifting hard enough.

With back squats my subconscious short-circuits me... I can do them fine until a certain weight and them I just can't seem to get my body to agree to go deep. Front squats are no problem in this regard.

brihead301
08-26-2009, 09:57 AM
I know Rippetoe's words aren't gospel, but his statement on goodmornings are:

You should never be using a weight that is more then 35% of your max squat, and if your max squat isn't 275, then you shouldn't be doing them at all.

IMO, you'll be better off doing SLDL's or RDL's, and hyperextensions or glute-ham raises (if you have that equipment available).

ZenMonkey
08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
This is a problem that if you do not fix now will crop up later and take valuable training time for you to have to start over. Start light and work on flexibility and you will do well.

ZenFitness
08-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Hey brihead what is the difference between SLDL's and RDL's? They both look the same to me.

I do the hyperextensions in my Workout B.

I like those glute ham raises... I've never seen that exercise before. Do they work the same areas as hyperextensions? The hyperextension equipment I use is upright at a 45 degree angle, but my gym does have a lat machine that I could probably use for the glute ham raise. Maybe I could swap that out.

brihead301
08-26-2009, 11:59 AM
SLDL's start on the ground just like a regular deadlift, only you don't use the leg drive like you do in a conventional deadlift. Romanian deadlifts (RDL's) never touch the ground. Do a search on both of them to see what they look like.

I don't know much about the glute ham raise, I only know of hyperextensions because that's all I have access to as well. But IMO, hyperextensions with a plate across your chest would be a good assistance exercise.

I'm not saying goodmornings aren't an EXCELLENT exercise, but I just think that they would benefit a much more advanced lifter more.

ZenFitness
08-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Week 7 Workout A:

I was a day late on my workout C (should have been Monday but did it Tuesday) and I worked out at 5 AM this morning (which is unusual). Man it is tough to run my deadlift day at the crack of dawn... no gas in the tank at that point except a banana and a protein shake. But I got through it.

Deadlift: 260 lbs. 5x5
Pullups: 5x5 (probably try weighted next time)
Dips: 35 lbs. weighted 5x5 (same weight as last time b/c I missed the last rep last time... nailed it this time)
Front Squat: 150 lbs. 5x5

Planks: 3 sets of 1 minute
Hanging leg raises: 1x30

The front squats were brutal with the combination of AM lifting, deadlifts, etc. After my third set I about said **** it for today but stuck it out and finished 5x5. Didn't think I had it in me (at least today), but I did.

I'm concerned about my deadlift form, so I am going to roll the weight back to 225 on the next workout.

ZenFitness
08-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Week 7 Workout B:

Body Weight: 201 lbs.

I haven't slept well the past two nights (like 3 - 4 hours each night) and I think it affected my bench.

Bench: 180 lbs. 3x5, 1x4, 1x3
Hyperextensions: 70 lbs. 5x6
DB Row: 90 lbs. 5x5
Bulgarian Squat: 65 lbs. 5x5 (forgot to move up to 70 lbs)

Pallof Press: 70 lbs. 3x10
Leg Raises: 1x30
Planks: 3 x 1 min

Didn't have time for HIIT or to set up the accentuated crunches so I did the planks at home.

ZenFitness
08-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Probably no workout C on Week 7... caught a stomach bug and was up all night vomiting.

ZenMonkey
08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html

Take care of yourself while sick man! Try to keep eating!

ZenFitness
09-01-2009, 08:29 AM
hey man thanks for the article

ZenFitness
09-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Week 8 Workout A (one day early... couldn't wait since I missed C last week from being sick):

First workout back from being sick.

Body Weight: 200 lbs.

Deadlift: 225 lbs. 5x5 (rolled the weight back to focus on form, I may keep it here for a couple of weeks)
Wide grip pullups: weighted 5 lbs. 5x5
Dips: weighted 40 lbs. 3x5, 1x6, 1x7 (these felt great)
Front Squats: 135 lbs. 1x5, 145 1x5, 155 1x3, 145 1x3 (I had to quit early due to having to run to the pharmacy (youngest daughter got bit by a bunch of ants so wifey called), so I'm counting some warmup sets here... after being sick my strength was tapped here too, so I will probably roll the weight back a bit and ramp back up).

Hand walkout from feet: 3x10
Bicycle kicks: 1x100

I am going to keep front squats on workout A but do back squats on workout C (so that my deadlift 5x5 and back squat 5x5 are on separate days). I'm also going to roll the weight back on the front squats by a couple of weeks and ramp it back up.

ZenFitness
09-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Week 8 Workout B

Still weak after my illness and some insomnia (about 2 - 3 months of it)

Body weight: 199 lbs (ugh dropped too much for me while sick)

Bench: 180 x 2, 180 x 1 (spot last rep just a tap), 175 (spot tap last rep), 175 (spot tap fourth rep, full spot last rep)
Hyperextensions: 75 lbs. 5x6
DB Rows: 90 lbs. 5x5
Bulgarian Squat: 70 lbs. 5x5

Accentuated Crunches: 60 lbs. 3x10
Pallof Press: 70 lbs. 2x10, 60 lbs. 1x10
Leg raises: 1x30

I may need to do a switch for the DB rows b/c the heaviest dumbbells my gym has is 90 lbs. I'm going to wave back on my bench to 170 next week and work back up. This 180 has been a wall thus far.

ZenFitness
09-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Week 8 Workout C:

Missing workout C last week really showed in my OH press. I banged out 110 5x5 last time, but this time 115 was a wall (like 180 on my bench). I swapped out RDL for good mornings, and I'm starting back on back squats. Back squats were definitely improved from working on the front squats so much.

RDL 205 5x5
Press: 115 2x5, 115 1x3, 115 1x2, 95 1x5
Chinup: 15 lbs. 4x5, 15 lbs. 1x6, unweighted 1x4
Back Squat (getting back into it so taking it slow): 135 1x5, 145 3x5, 155 1x5

Hand walkouts from feet 3x10
100 bicycle kicks

ZenFitness
09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Week 9 Workout A:

Great workout today, I really feel like my strength is 100% back

Deadlift: 225 lbs. 5x5 (keeping it here b/c I really want to nail the form)
Pullups: 10 lbs. weighted 5x5
Dips: 45 lbs. weighted 5x5
Front Squats: 150 lbs. 5x5 (last time these were tough b/c of being sick... these were no sweat this time. Can't wait for 155 next week).

Planks 3x1 min

brihead301
09-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Good to see ya back at it man! Keep it up!

ZenFitness
09-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks man!

Week 9 Workout B:

My neighbor is working out with me now... he is naturally huge so I'm just catching up to his getting started lol.

Body weight: 201 lbs.

Bench: 180 5x5 **** yeah, finally nailed it. Worked on my setup some and I pounded these out... of course sleep and illness recovery probably help
Hyperextensions: 80 lbs.
Row: 55 lbs. (switched to the incline bench rows)
Bulgarian Squat: 75 lbs.

Hand walkouts from feet: 3 x 10

Didn't have time for the pallof press and accentuated crunches b/c of a niece's b-day party. To boot, my ribs are jacked up from doing yoga with the lady on a hard floor with no mat... I did a boat pose and rolled slightly to the side. They are tender to the touch, so I'm sure the oblique work would have not worked.

ZenFitness
09-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Week 9 Workout C:

RDL: 205 lbs. 5x5 (still making sure I have the form down, will move the weight up next time)
OH Press: 115 lbs. 5x5 (finally nailed 115 5x5)
Chinups: Weighted 20 lbs. 5x5
Back Squat: 155 lbs. 5x5

Planks: 3x1 minute
Bicycle Kicks: 1x100

Great having a workout partner... he noticed that my back squat leg stance is really narrow. I spread it out more and voila, I can lift much better!

ZenFitness
09-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Week 10 Workout A:

Deadlift: 225 lbs. 5x5 (I'll go up next week)
Pullups: 15 lbs. 5x5 weighted (felt like ****, will probably pull the weight back next week)
Dips: 50 lbs. 5x5
Front Squat: 155 lbs. 5x5 (bad form on the last few of the last two sets... will roll the weight back)

****ty workout tonight. Exhausted from three nights insomnia and feelin' it.

ZenFitness
09-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Week 10 Workout B:

Better sleep last night, think it really helped.

Bench: 185 lbs. 5x5 (changing my setup has made a HUGE difference! Couldn't get 180 a couple weeks back, now nailed 185).
Hyperextensions: 85 lbs. 5x5 rolling back next week
DB Incline Rows: 55 lbs. 5x5
Bulgarian Split Squats: 80 lbs. 5x5 rolling back next week

Pallof Press: 70 lbs. 1x10, 2x8

ZenFitness
09-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Week 10 Workout C:

Great squats today, either I'm more flexible, my form is better, I'm getting stronger, or all three.

Body Weight: 203 lbs.

RDL: 210 lbs. 5x5
OH Press: 120 lbs. 5x5 (probably rolling this back next week)
Chinups: 25 lbs. 5x5 (rolling this back next week)
Back Squat: 160 lbs. 5x5

Some misc. core stuff, 1x100 bicycle kicks. Running out of time for the abs/core, not sure how vital that is.

ZenFitness
09-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Week 11 Workout A:

Good workout. For some reason, pullups have become harder.

Body Weight: 203 lbs.

Deadlift: 230 lbs. 5x5
Pullups: 5 lbs. weighted 5x5 (rolled back from 15 lbs. last week, not much difference!)
Dips: 52.5 lbs. weighted 5x5
Front Squat: 140 lbs. 5x5 (rolled this weight back, form much nicer this time)

Planks: 3 sets 1 min. each

ZenFitness
09-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Week 11 Workout B:

Travelling for the weekend... was forced to use a crappy hotel gym with only a smith machine and a few dumbbells. Never tried to bench on a smith machine so I have no idea what the real weight was.

I did get the Bulgarian Squats in @ what I think was 75 lbs (they had a funky bar for it).

Planks 3 sets for 1 min. each

ZenFitness
09-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Week 11 Workout C:

No workout b/c I was driving on the road for 10 hours. Did some pushups at home, will probably do a few more tonight with some ab stuff just to move the muscles a lil.

ZenFitness
10-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Week 12 Workout A (yesterday):

Body Weight: 204 lbs.

Deadlift: 235 lbs. 5x5
Pullups: 5 lbs. weighted 5x5
Dips: 55 lbs. weighted 5x5
Front Squat: 145 lbs. 5x5

Planks: 3 sets 1 min. each

ZenFitness
10-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Week 12 Workout B:

Bench: 190 lbs. 5x5 (tough but got it... almost to my body weight on work sets)
Hyperextensions: 75 lbs. 5x5
DB Rows: 60 lbs. 5x5
Bulgarian Split Squats: 75 lbs. 5x5

Accentuated Crunches: 60 lbs. 3x10
Pallof Press: 60 lbs. 3x10
Leg Raises: 1x30 lbs.

ZenFitness
10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Week 12 Workout C:

Body weight: 203 lbs.

RDL: 215 lbs. 5x5
OH Press: 110 lbs. 5x5
Chinups: 17.5 lbs. 4x5, unweighted 1x10 (just wanted to bang out a 10 repper at the end for once)
Back squat: 165 lbs. 5x5

Felt really good after my workout today... this was my sticking weight on back squat when I was doing SS, and I nailed it pretty easy today. The several weeks of front squats really helped my back squat - I think it was flexibility mostly.

My shoulder is hurting... I could get the OH press done b/c I rolled the weight back, but last week's dips and bench seemed to really irritate the left shoulder. I will be doing workout A for next week a day early... I may either skip dips or just do three sets of unweighted (depending on how it feels).

ZenFitness
10-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Week 13 Workout A:

body weight: 202 lbs.

Deadlift: 240 5x5
pullups: 5x6 unweighted
dips: 2x10 1x12
front squats: 150 5x5

planks: 3x1 min
bicycle kicks: 1x100

giving my shoulders a break on the weight. Front squats rocked today... something happened midway am they just "clicked" and became much easier

ZenFitness
10-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Week 13 Workout B:

Bench: 4x5 195 lbs (needed help last two reps) 1x5 185
Hyperextensions : 5x6 80 lbs
Chest Supported Rows: 5x6 65 lbs.
Bulgarian Split Squats: 85 lbs. 5x5

Accentuated Crunches: 60 3x10
Pallof Press: 3x10 60

Gonna lay off the shoulders for a week, still hurting

ZenFitness
10-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Week 13 Workout C:

Body Weight: 202 lbs

RDL: 220 5x5
Back Squat: 170 5x5

Planks: 3x1 min
Bicycle Kicks: 1x100

tried a few chinups but the shoulder is still an issue... No mas for now

squats still rockin... my buddy was blown away by how low I was going

Coke
10-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Very consistent with the efforts in here man, looking nice.

ZenFitness
10-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks - frustrating some because I'd like to be able to move faster but such is genetics. About to start next workout

Off Road
10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
You're doing well. Rest that shoulder and hit it hard again when you can. Your strength will still be there.

ZenFitness
10-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks Off Road... I appreciate the encouragement. I'm not the guy with the ultra genetics (my workout partner who is moving, on the other hand, is... tough when he throws my weight around just starting out!!)

Week 14 Workout A:

Deadlift: 245 lbs. 5x5 (now that I've worked back up this is a MUCH different lift... form is much better now and I can tell)
Front Squat: 155 lbs. 5x5 (same here, better form than when I was last at this weight... I seem much more relaxed in the squats and it makes a difference)

Planks: 1 set with my feet on a swiss ball, 2 sets normal. I'm wondering if that put too much pressure on the shoulder... little sore afterwards.

Ran for 20 minutes fairly hard afterwards

Off Road
10-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Nice work.

Coke
10-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Good job throughout bro.

ZenFitness
10-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks man.

Week 14 Workout B:

Took the day off... youngest daughter's b-day this AM (2 yrs old) and the wife asked/pleaded that I spend the afternoon with her instead. What can you do?

Gives the shoulder another day of rest, will hit the iron Monday.

ZenFitness
10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Week 14 Workout C:

Tried some bench today... still hurts. 135, 185, 155 lbs

RDL: 225 5x5
Back Squat: 175 5x5 may roll this back a little next time

Planks: 3x1 min

ZenFitness
10-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Week 15 Workout A:

Deadlift: 250 5x5
Front Squat: 160 5x5

Planks: 3x1 minute

Ran hard for 10 minutes

My shoulder hurts like hell for some reason today... did so before I was lifting. I switched my planks to using a swiss ball on my upper body... takes a lot of pressure off the shoulder.

Off Road
10-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Nice job on the deads.

ZenFitness
10-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Thanks off road... was debating halting altogether for the shoulder, but it feels better today. I don't think deadlifts affect it... which is good b/c I like them :)

I need to keep working on my front squat form. I will probably roll the weight back... I'm finding on the way out of the hole that my hips are rising too fast which causes too much of my lower back to engage.

brihead301
10-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Nice work in here man, you're definately getting stronger and stronger everytime I check in here...

ZenFitness
10-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks brihead... I've really appreciated your input and feedback as well as Off Road's and BigCorey's... really appreciate it.

Week 15 Workout B:

Took this week off b/c the shoulder is still hurting... I've been trying too hard with it. All of my B exercises require some shoulder effort except the bulgarian squats. Instead, I am going to try to do some HIIT later and get back to deads and back squat on Monday.

ZenFitness
10-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Week 15 Workout C:

I know I won't be working out today b/c the two daughters were diagnosed with the flu today and my wife is at her wits' end (called me at work).

Shoulder is feeling slightly better. Weird thing is that I was getting up from the couch last night and had an intense burning sensation near the top of the V of my waist (the V that goes down to the crotch) on the left side. I had hernia surgery when I was 14 on the same side (but much lower)... so I freaked out last night. Today it feels fine... there is no lump, nothing to indicate an issue. Still freaked me out, however! I literally almost fainted... the thought of guts coming through the muscle wall made me squeamish.

Off Road
10-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I hope the kids feel better very soon.

ZenFitness
10-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks Off Road... Tamaflu is hard to come by these days!!!

ZenFitness
10-27-2009, 02:31 PM
My abdomen still hurts a bit. I was going to try to workout today instead of yesterday, but I may take the week off. It sucks b/c it seems like I'm stymied at every turn here, but I've finally relented and said ok, ok, I need to let the shoulder rest (which is doing MUCH better) and this new abdomen development. Groin pull or worse, not sure what it is.

ZenFitness
11-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Week 16 Workout C:

Weight: 199 lbs.

Back Squat: 175 3x5
Bench: 135 3x5
Neutral grip pullups: 1x10, 1x8, 1x7
RDL: 3x5

Started with squats... I think I will do that on workout C's. MUCH easier to start with squats... I was rocking on 175 easy until I had that burning feeling on the left side of my abdomen again. It is up near my hip... no bulge so I think it is just a strain. That is why I cut it short at 3 sets. My shoulder felt fine until I put 135 lbs on the bar... then it hurt like hell. Still recovering I guess. ****.

I'm incredibly frustrated with these injuries. Feels like I'll never get back to lifting. The one bright spot is that the neutral grip pullups didn't seem to hurt.

Off Road
11-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I hope you don't hurt it worse by working out too hard before it's healed. Remember that lifting is a lifetime pursuit and a couple of weeks rest isn't going make a difference in the long run.

ZenFitness
11-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Yep, I finally decided to go to a doctor. I'm going to hold off on any workouts before I make sure these things are squared away... you are right, and I am being impatient. That is a nice way to look at it too... this being a lifetime pursuit.

ZenFitness
11-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Doc xrayed the shoulder and said I have remarkably good bone structure. No problems there. Next step is rest or an MRI... since I'm not interested in coughing up the $$$ for an MRI, I'm going to be out until the New Year. The abdomen pain is likely a sprained muscle or a sports hernia... either way, rest is the cure. So I'm out 6-8 weeks - basically until the New Year. See y'all then.

Off Road
11-03-2009, 08:00 PM
That sux...but 6 weeks isn't that long. I wasted years of not lifting.