PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone drink milk to bulk not cut?

Behemoth
04-21-2002, 07:45 PM
Milk is a great source of protein and has fairly low carbs, like 12g of sugar. Grant it sugar isn't a good thing to eat while cutting, but a small amount like that will surely not hurt, the carbs in it are also low GI, which are a good thing for cutting. So I don't see why it's used more as a bulking food than a cutting?

IronGiant
04-21-2002, 10:10 PM
milk tends to give the muscles a soft rounded look, not something you want while cutting!!!

Budiak
04-21-2002, 11:22 PM
That sugar, although low gi, sometimes causes mild bloating, and the nasty soft round look that sucks choad.

EMan
04-22-2002, 12:02 AM
I think it's because of the sugar content in milk.. but I might be wrong. 1 cup a day or 1 cup every couple of days won't destroy your diet. It's actually very healthy for you and calcium is great for the muscles and bones.

YatesNightBlade
04-22-2002, 02:44 AM
depends on how low your going. If your not competing ... then I wouldn't worry about it.

MonStar
04-22-2002, 04:25 AM
Agreed with Yates - I drink a lot of milk while training/dieting for fat loss and its never a problem for me. :D:D

MS

Mark
04-22-2002, 12:23 PM
I used to drink a lot of low fat milk and was surprised at how much fat I lost when I cut down. So for me it just doesn't work.

Silverback
04-22-2002, 02:54 PM
milk in my opinion is imperative in the bodybuilding world and i think it must be incorporated by every bodybuilder, taking into account intollerance etc... i drink about 1 litre per day, including mixing with whey, oatmeal etc...

Blood&Iron
04-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Basically, it's a silly old bodybuilding myth(Galactose is similar to fructose in that it preferentially refills liver glycogen, leading to decreased lipid oxidation. You'd have to be drinking a postively huge amount for this to matter, though, so I don't think this is much of an issue) Personally, I cut way down on milk consumption while dieting because I have a limited number of calories to work with, and a glass of milk just isn't very filling.

Allie
04-22-2002, 09:12 PM
I drink A LOT of milk! Mostly plain old skim, sometimes if I crave flavored milk I will get a little bottle and dillute it with skim. Just think of all the calcium and how strong your bones will be in the fight against osteoporosis ;)