PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Sick at breakfast

Michio
07-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Recently, I've been trying to eat more at breakfast eg oats with milk and then 1 scoop of whey for a drink.

But i'm really struggling to get it all down because it makes me feel really sick. I went years not eating anything for breakfast at all so do I just need to get used to it?

Unreal
07-29-2009, 07:50 AM
I don't eat breakfast. My first meal of the day is lunch around noon and I wake up at 5:30. If you can't handle breakfast then don't do it. It is your overall daily diet plan that matters. As long as you can hit your calorie/macro goals then don't worry. Now if you can't eat enough calories in the rest of the day then suck it up and find something that you can eat in the morning. Maybe just drink some milk, or a handful of nuts. That or wait a few hours after waking to eat breakfast.

TheGimp
07-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Recently, I've been trying to eat more at breakfast eg oats with milk and then 1 scoop of whey for a drink.

But i'm really struggling to get it all down because it makes me feel really sick. I went years not eating anything for breakfast at all so do I just need to get used to it?

This is not something I personally suffer from but I know many people who do

You don't have to eat a lot for breakfast, personally all I have is a latte and 6 almonds. This is enough to get me through my morning gym session which is followed by the ubiquitous post workout meal. If you don't personally work out in the morning then eat something small that you can stomach and follow it up by a larger meal as soon as you feel able, say a couple of hours afterwards.

I don't eat breakfast. My first meal of the day is lunch around noon and I wake up at 5:30. If you can't handle breakfast then don't do it. It is your overall daily diet plan that matters. As long as you can hit your calorie/macro goals then don't worry.

Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. You've just starved yourself for around 8 hours, why stay in a catabolic state any longer than necessary?

anonymous1
07-30-2009, 06:19 AM
The catabolic state will be completely negated by the end of the day as long as you make up the calories. The body is constantly turning over nutrients, this is normal. The catabolic state isn't a dramatic muscle eating process. It simply means the body may take some amino's from muscle during the fast, and then replace them when it gets its protein later on.

The issue with fasting is that it creates a stress response in the body. Stress destroys the human body.

You are better off eating at breakfast, but it's not necessary to eat and make yourself sick. You're going to have to slowly adjust to early food. You should get rid of the whole food and drink a shake with as much nutrients as you can handle and go from there.

Unreal
07-30-2009, 09:01 AM
This is not something I personally suffer from but I know many people who do

You don't have to eat a lot for breakfast, personally all I have is a latte and 6 almonds. This is enough to get me through my morning gym session which is followed by the ubiquitous post workout meal. If you don't personally work out in the morning then eat something small that you can stomach and follow it up by a larger meal as soon as you feel able, say a couple of hours afterwards.

Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. You've just starved yourself for around 8 hours, why stay in a catabolic state any longer than necessary?

Because intermentent fasting has done wonders for my body. I'm leaner, stronger and it is 10x easier to diet. I wake up and even go do fasted cardio and don't eat for 4 hours after that. OMG my muscle is going to melt away!!!

jp2
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Breakfast is important, just eat something small like a bananna or a protein shake.

berfles
07-30-2009, 09:31 AM
I feel sick too. I usually force myself some mini wheats or one of my smaller shakes (660 calories). I feel sick from eating so often that I just get pissed and go through with it.

backdraft005
07-30-2009, 03:28 PM
I eat small hands fulls of granola with almonds (I add more to the mix, not to worried about my carb intake) in the morning for a bit. Then when i feel my stomach let up, i eat a bowl of cereal. then before lunch, i eat a protein bar slowly. im getting use to the whole "consistently eating part" of powerlifters. dont think ive actually been hungry for a while. ~_~

Ryumexicano
07-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Well, no offense to any one here, but since I am a nursing student, I have learned the SUPER importance of breakfast. You guys SHOULD eat something for breakfast, whatever it is, just eat something. You can't go on an empty stomach, since the only thing you will build is going to be gas and your acid in your stomach will be happy by itself......ULCERS later in your life, not to mention GASTRITIS. Eat Cereal at least. :ninja:

:hello:

platypus
07-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I can't eat anything for breakfast either. It pretty much is the result of your body getting used to certain times of feeding, and if you never really eat breakfast, your body is going to be conditioned to not want to eat at that time. Like others have said, as long as you get your macros in for the day, you're good, though if you'd like to combat this, you can start eating small for breakfast and work your way up.

Skalami
07-31-2009, 07:33 AM
back in the day used to wake up, have coffee, hit the gym, and grabe a shake on the way to work. Made great gains working out on an empty stomach and eating that post workout shake at around 10am.

Skelator03
07-31-2009, 09:31 AM
I always compare to a fire you need to throw a little wood on it to make sure its burning. The fire being your metabolism and body and wood being anything to eat in the morn

Baloo72
07-31-2009, 08:36 PM
I tried just drinking a lot of water in the morning in an attempt to make my body adjust to having something in it so early. Then I graduated to a spoonful of peanut butter since protein is good in the morning. Today, I drank an egg since anything fried would immediately come back up at the gym (I go an hour and half later). I'm hoping within a few months my body will be able to handle a decent breakfast.

My focus on breakfast is due to my noticing that my appetite is increased later in the day after I've eaten something. If I can increase my appetite, then I eat more, and then I gain more.

shansen008
07-31-2009, 10:36 PM
I used to feel sick if i ate too early as well, happened my whole life. Then i read about monolithic eating, and gave it a shot. Eat 1 thing in the morning. If you eat eggs, just eat eggs. Throw some seasonings if you like. But only eat 1 type of food. Throwing a slew of mixed up protein/crabs/fat at your body so early in the am when your digestive system has basically been fasting for 10 hours or so is a bit of a shock. Now, my breakfast usually consists of a 100% egg protien shake with some almond butter or a small apple banana..sometimes both if im feeling frisky heh. Its quick and hearty, and gets me thru till about 9-10am, when i have a small snack before lunch.

Glaive
08-01-2009, 12:59 AM
I feel obligated to point out the somewhat flawed logic that some people in this thread seem to be throwing out. Consider the following example:

Steve is concerned about getting HIV from unprotected sex.

Frank assures him that he's had tons of unprotected sex and never gotten HIV, so obviously there's no risk for Steve either.

See how this doesn't make sense?

Just because you CAN make progress while doing something sub-optimally doesn't make it any less sub-optimal. When I first started trying to get in shape I lost 50 lbs. in the first year. I'm very proud of my accomplishments in that year, but it doesn't change the fact that I can look back now with my much larger pool of knowledge and see how many mistakes I made. I could have saved myself a lot of time and/or effort doing things in a different way, I just didn't know better.

In the same way, you can't look at the whole breakfast issue as a black or white type of thing. People talk about fitness and nutrition as if there are only two categories: 1) things that work, and 2) things that don't work. They act like if something fits into category 1 that it automatically is just as good as anything else in category 1. In other words, if someone got results doing something they will generally assert that it is "just as viable" as whatever anyone else is doing that gets results.

Made "great gains" while not eating breakfast? Well that means breakfast is totally unimportant, right? I lost my first 50 lbs. with no cardio at all. That means cardio is completely unnecessary for weight loss, right?

That makes no sense.

Eating in the morning is better for your body and for your goals. That's just a fact. You can argue about what specific nutrient makeup is optimal based on your body and lifestyle, but it's ridiculous to argue that not eating breakfast at all is in any way equal to, much less superior than, eating anything resembling a healthy meal.

To the OP:

Your body adapts. If you don't eat breakfast for a long time then your body adapts to that habit and it will be tough to break. It's no different than how you'll feel crappy switching to a low-carb diet or dropping sugars or making any other significant dietary change. You have to let your body adjust.

Take the advice of some of the previous posters and try limiting yourself to liquid meals to start out with. Some healthy fat, whey, and water is a good start. Maybe try grinding up oats in a shake or simply have some grapefruit.

I'd also add that yogurt has many active cultures that promote a healthy digestive system. A single serving of flavored yogurt might be something to try in the morning along with your shake as it will provide some carbohydrates as well as probiotics.

Digestive enzymes can also be purchased in capsule form from any supplement shop, and this might help you a bit.

You may also find that certain foods just don't agree with you in the morning. Eggs, for example, give me stomach issues if I eat them for breakfast (at least most of the time). I can have them in the afternoon and I'm fine.

berfles
08-01-2009, 09:20 AM
I have tried every type of breakfast I can think of, only eaten one thing, only drank liquid, tried very small items, and for as long as I remember I have felt sick in the morning if I try to eat. Everyone told me eating 6000 calories would get easier too, and here I am almost 2 years later and I still routinely almost throw up.

PIERCEY
08-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Man, I've never had a problem eating breakfast. Its always the largest meal of the day for me.

The second I wake up, I'm looking around for something to kill and eat. lol

BFGUITAR
08-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Drink something simple like a protein shake or a glass of milk and leave it there.If you can't eat in the morning its not a big deal... just at least try to drink something with calories.

Clone
08-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm surprised at the # of people that don't like (or can't hold down) breakfast.

I've been that way for years and years.

I just have a small gainer shake (1/2 serving MHP Up Your Mass) for breakfast as thats all I can hold down.

Even a single slice of toast can make me gag.

Does anyone know why this specifically happens? Stomach acid pooling during the night perhaps?

There has got to be an underlying reason.

Clone
08-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I have tried every type of breakfast I can think of, only eaten one thing, only drank liquid, tried very small items, and for as long as I remember I have felt sick in the morning if I try to eat. Everyone told me eating 6000 calories would get easier too, and here I am almost 2 years later and I still routinely almost throw up.

Agree 100%

The best gains I ever made was when I force fed myself all day.

But what an uncomfortable feeling. Always bloated and sometimes not looking forward to eating.

I've since backed off a little.

Kiaran
08-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm the same way. I used to gag it all down anyway. Later I learned that if I wait an hour or even two hours after I wake up to eat, and just drink some water in that time, everything is fine. I can eat normally and don't feel nausiated before during or after I eat breakfast. The weirdest thing really. My breakfasts range from 600-900 cals every day. I just wake up, make all my breakfast stuff, throw it in a cooler and take it to work with me. About 8:30-9am, I eat it all. Been doing this for about 3 years now and I strongly recommend anyone else having this problem to give it a shot.

Another issue I notice is that I have a really horrible gag-reflex in the morning. I mean so bad that if a shirt even brushes my throat I gag and wanna puke. This seems to be dry throat and mouth. If I drink water throughout my morning, this is no problem either. I imagine it is all related.

Doobs
08-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Eating in the morning is better for your body and for your goals. That's just a fact. Why is that a fact, because people have been telling you that all your life? When someone publishes an article in a peer-reviewed journal using a decent sample size of trained athletes, comparing fatloss with and without breakfast, then it'll be closer to a fact. Now its hearsay which is recently being proven wrong. Search intermittent fasting.

Made "great gains" while not eating breakfast? Well that means breakfast is totally unimportant, right? I lost my first 50 lbs. with no cardio at all. That means cardio is completely unnecessary for weight loss, right?

That makes no sense. Cardio is not necessary for weightloss, caloric deficit is. You saved yourself a lot of time and effort by not doing cardio when you didn't need it.

rag15
08-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Every morning, as soon as I wake up (even before I brush my teeth), I go make a protein shake. Milk + whey + grounded raw oats + fruit (apple/peach/banana...). I found the key is to make your first breakfast item little sweet and with some flavor. A fruit mixed in with the shake does the trick. Its really delicious and I can't imagine anyone feeling like throwing up after drinking this shake.

Meanwhile, I have some eggs cooking, and I eat them about 30 minutes after I drink my shake. This gives me enough time for my system to adjust and that gap lets me able to eat few eggs along with some OJ. I also found this is the right time to throw your multi-vitamins, Vitamin C, fish oil etc.

I used to hate breakfast just like you, but now its one thing that I look forward to as soon as I wake up. It really takes time to get used to it, but as long as you are consistant, your body will get used it. Trust me! Personally, eating a sizable breakfast has helped me a ton. I seem more energetic and alert which helps me to be productive from the get go.

My advice is don't try to eat all at once if you're not able to handle it. Split your breakfast and give it about an hour gap.

Skalami
08-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I feel obligated to point out the somewhat flawed logic that some people in this thread seem to be throwing out. Consider the following example:

Steve is concerned about getting HIV from unprotected sex.

Frank assures him that he's had tons of unprotected sex and never gotten HIV, so obviously there's no risk for Steve either.

See how this doesn't make sense?

That makes no sense.

Eating in the morning is better for your body and for your goals. That's just a fact. You can argue about what specific nutrient makeup is optimal based on your body and lifestyle, but it's ridiculous to argue that not eating breakfast at all is in any way equal to, much less superior than, eating anything resembling a healthy meal.

wasnt saying it was the best path to take just giving my personal experience. Your comparing me giving my personal experience to a guy recommending not worrying about aids has to be one of the dumbest things ive ever heard.

XMadmanX
08-02-2009, 06:21 PM
haha I'm lucky as far as a bulking diet is concerned I love to eat. Breakfast is pretty good I have 5 eggs with some cheese and ham, then a bowl of cereal and usually drink a glass of milk aswell. I'm glad I have found weightlifting type diets as now im praised for my eating haha.

berfles
08-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Another issue I notice is that I have a really horrible gag-reflex in the morning. I mean so bad that if a shirt even brushes my throat I gag and wanna puke. This seems to be dry throat and mouth. If I drink water throughout my morning, this is no problem either. I imagine it is all related.

I'm the same way with the gag reflex, I almost made myself puke the other day and had to fight it back in the shower. If that happens, I can pretty much kiss breakfast goodbye because I feel off until after lunch.

Kiaran
08-02-2009, 10:21 PM
haha I'm lucky as far as a bulking diet is concerned I love to eat. Breakfast is pretty good I have 5 eggs with some cheese and ham, then a bowl of cereal and usually drink a glass of milk aswell. I'm glad I have found weightlifting type diets as now im praised for my eating haha.

Well aren't you god's ****in' gift to breakfast :D

Just messin with ya, bro, but seriously...that's quite the impressive breakfast.

XMadmanX
08-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Well aren't you god's ****in' gift to breakfast :D

Just messin with ya, bro, but seriously...that's quite the impressive breakfast.

yeah a world where you get praised for eating instead of being looked down on is a dream

Rip.66.
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
This is a common problem, your stomach is still asleep so it doesn't easily accept food. The best way I found and was recomended to me was to drink a small glass of Ice Water first thing. It will make blood rush around your stomach, thus waking it up.