PDA

View Full Version : How long do you bulk?

Ryumexicano
07-29-2009, 11:03 AM
I am really working super hard at the gym. I have been working hard for more than a month, after an 8 month break, and my family and friends have seen a difference in my body. My friends say, "Damn, you are putting some muscle." My family on the other side, along with girlfriend, say, "Damn, you are getting fat".... I am on this bulking phase and I really want to keep going and later drop the weight (Fat). This is very discouraging, especially when it comes from people you really appreciate. :( :( Any suggestions or opinions or stories with similar issues? I really want to continue with the bulking and get bigger. How long should a person bulk? How do you know when to stop? I just want a better looking, thick body. Any help, words of encouragement?
:(

SkinnyMan305
07-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Like others will probably tell you, Bulk until you personally are uncomfortable with the extra fat gain that comes with a bulk. Dont let what your G/F or friends affect what you think about yourself man. I say keep at it.

geordie1986
07-29-2009, 12:13 PM
yeah my family say similair things, as I use to be superskinny and now I am getting bigger they think I am just getting fat, which i know isnt the case, so it doesnt bother me and I have banned the word man boobs from being used in my house.

the way i am doing my bulk is I have set myself a weight goal and as long as my body fat % stays below a set figure i am happy.

Off Road
07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
I've been bulking for about 10 years :evillaugh:

backseatwitme13
07-29-2009, 12:33 PM

so how long do you cut? :thumbup:

Off Road
07-29-2009, 12:47 PM
so how long do you cut? :thumbup:

What's a cut? :evillaugh:

kmagnuss
07-29-2009, 01:14 PM
yeah man...I hadn't seen my dad for about 6 months...in that time I put on 30 lbs. First thing he says to me is "you're getting fat". I was like wtf? My sisters and brother kept commenting on how jacked I was getting. I think parents concentrate on your face so much, that when you do gain some weight, it shows in your face, and they just assume it's fat.

Trainwreck
07-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Keep going man, they say that now but once you cut and have some good definition they'll understand.

d0rkyd00d
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Do a slow, clean bulk if you're concerned with gaining weight. For me personally, gaining muscle without gaining fat at the expense of slower progress on my lifts is worth it. It's all up to the individual, of course.

Jilla82
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
your just going to have to get used to looking like a fat guy.

I honestly cant get used to it

ThomasG
07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I bulk for the fall, winter, spring and usually cut starting the begging of summer. Right now I'm slowly bulking though cause I'm tinkering with doing a comp.

Ryumexicano
07-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Keep going man, they say that now but once you cut and have some good definition they'll understand.

That's exactly what I tell my girlfriend and my parents and brothers. They of course have no idea about bulking, or cutting but I can't help to feel bad when they say it, not because they don't know, but because I can't find a way to let them know that it's good to eat if I want to have muscles.

I am feeling better now that I have read that some of you had similar issues. My dad said, "HEy, you are getting a huge face". That really got me at the moment. My girlfriend said, "You are getting a big stomach. Instead of losing weight at the gym, you seem to be getting opposite results." I said, "You know, I want to have muscles and I have to eat a lot. I will cut later and the muscles I get, will show." After that, I stopped.... she wasn't getting sh....hahahaha My mom also mentioned, "YOu are getting fat, stop drinking that protein thing you drink every day. That is making you fat."

Yeah, it's pretty damn frustrating, but I will continue bulking. I am really liking what I am getting and if that means getting a bigger stomach, it's ok. I can later drop that weight. I just don't want my family to think that I am just eating like a pig and not taking care of myself. I have never been "fat", so it hurts me emotionally when they use the word, "Fat". PRetty much every one tells me I am gaining weight, so it's crazy. I don't know how to deal with my people. :(

I am loving the amount of strength I am getting and it's been only a month and 2 weeks. I have worked hard, so hard. Today I woke up with the, "I am fat" voice in my head and can't get it out of it. I also was thinking to just drop the lifting and do straight cardio every day until I lose around 20 lbs, but of course I don't want that, I want big muscles and with cardio, I know I can lose weight but my strength too :(

Thanks for sharing guys and for the kind words. :hello:

Ryumexicano
07-29-2009, 02:24 PM
yeah man...I hadn't seen my dad for about 6 months...in that time I put on 30 lbs. First thing he says to me is "you're getting fat". I was like wtf? My sisters and brother kept commenting on how jacked I was getting. I think parents concentrate on your face so much, that when you do gain some weight, it shows in your face, and they just assume it's fat.

For me as long as my family doesn't say s...t I don't care, but when my girlfriend and family say thing, it gets to me. I don't want to stop bulking. :outnumber:

Tom Mutaffis
07-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Ryumexicano -

I have gone through what you are and it is quite a dilemma. On one side of the coin you want to be massive and strong, continuing to break PR's in the gym. On the other side of things you want to look good and want people to recognize you for all of the hard work that you put in.

What is your current heigh / bodyweight?

How do your clothes fit? As long as you are growing proportionally then your shirts should still fight tightly in the sleeves and you should not be building a ton of fat in your midsection. Pictures are also a good way to gauge how you look. I have seen myself in photos and immediately dropped the calories for a little while.

If you do decide to 'cut' then I would not drop bodyweight. In most cases you will lose hard earned strength and muscle then end up wanting to bulk back up again anyway. I would try to maintain your bodyweight while improving body composition. You can do this by adding in some cardio, cutting carbs after a certain time of day, or simply cleaning up your diet a little bit.

Remember that a guy who is 190 lbs and 8% bodyfat will look a lot bigger than a guy who is 200 lbs and 14% bodyfat (even though their lean mass is almost exactly the same). With that said a lot of times you have to get up to 200 lbs @ 14% in order to eventually diet down to 190 lbs @ 8%.

Hope this helps.

BigTallOx
07-29-2009, 03:20 PM

What's a cut? :evillaugh:

LOL. Kind of what I was thinking.

To answer the OP's question. I've been bulking for the better part of the last year. I don't see any reason to change anything right now. Thankfully my wife likes my added beefy muscle.

Ryumexicano
07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Ryumexicano -

I have gone through what you are and it is quite a dilemma. On one side of the coin you want to be massive and strong, continuing to break PR's in the gym. On the other side of things you want to look good and want people to recognize you for all of the hard work that you put in.

What is your current heigh / bodyweight?

How do your clothes fit? As long as you are growing proportionally then your shirts should still fight tightly in the sleeves and you should not be building a ton of fat in your midsection. Pictures are also a good way to gauge how you look. I have seen myself in photos and immediately dropped the calories for a little while.

If you do decide to 'cut' then I would not drop bodyweight. In most cases you will lose hard earned strength and muscle then end up wanting to bulk back up again anyway. I would try to maintain your bodyweight while improving body composition. You can do this by adding in some cardio, cutting carbs after a certain time of day, or simply cleaning up your diet a little bit.

Remember that a guy who is 190 lbs and 8% bodyfat will look a lot bigger than a guy who is 200 lbs and 14% bodyfat (even though their lean mass is almost exactly the same). With that said a lot of times you have to get up to 200 lbs @ 14% in order to eventually diet down to 190 lbs @ 8%.

Hope this helps.

For me, I know when I get a little fat because my clothes doesn't fit that well. I have gained weight because I have noticed on my jeans they fit tighter on the wait area, but my shirts fit tighter and biceps, chest, and shoulders stick a little, so I like that feeling too :(

Once I felt "fat" and started running every day for three months and doing circuit training at school in the mornings. I lost a lot of weight, around 20 lbs. I was super strict with diet. I know I can lose the weight but I just don't want to get "bigger" and then do so much cardio and diet that everything goes to the trash. I am not way muscular, but I want to and the little muscles that are developing are giving me my motiviation to continue, but like you say, family on the other side don't support me. I don't expect them to support me much because they don't undestand much about lifting, plus I ways like to stay in shape, but not getting "Fat" as they say.

I will post some pictures tonight so you guys can see them. Hopefully you guys recommend something.

I am 5'7
180 lbs
36 Waist (hate the waist area, stomach as a whole)

I work out Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, OFf, Friday, OFF, OFF

Is protein supposed to make me constipated? I have had that problem with protein all the time.

On a Note: I usually see myself in the mirror and I say, "Damn, I am looking better and stronger." I see myself and don't look that bad, but I sometimes look bloated like hell!! Is that normal? Usually when I wake up, I wake up looking very thin. I am sure this is all mental. My support system (family) is failing me right now and that's the biggest problem :(

:hello:

LuNa
07-29-2009, 05:51 PM
I feel bloated as well most of the time except for mornings. Mornings are when i feel good on a bulk, the rest of the day i feel a little bloated and full :p. Actually when my mom say me on my bulk, she asked if i lost weight because my face looked smaller. I think that is because everything else was a bit bigger. You should try and keep the end goal in mind. You might gain a bit of fat now, but in the end when you drop the bit of fat you have, you will be really proud and get nothing else than positive remarks. Weightlifting and dietting is as much psychological as it is physiological.

Ryumexicano
07-30-2009, 09:41 AM
I will continue with the bulk and just stick with my eating and my hard working. I really don't want to give up my hard training. I will see what happens in a few months. I will try to ignore when they say something frustrating :) :hello:

Thanks to every one for their positive responses. I really appreciate your time. :read:

PWR
07-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Always bulk, but do it responsibly. try to do about 20 mins of cardio a day (even if that is walking at a fast pace) and dont eat alot of sugar at night and try to eat alot of good foods. Lift heavy and rest hard and you will continue to grow. I have never tried to cut down, but affectively changing my eating habits has a direct affect on my waist line.
I'm 5'10 270lbs.

Off Road
07-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Some people will see big, others see fat, and others see muscle.
And don't lift for girls. Some like skinny, some fat, some buffed, etc...
Stop lifting for what other people think of you. Lift for yourself alone.

Cards
07-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Don't worry about what other people tell you dude, I know it's hard at times especially when it's nice to have the people you love encourage you, but some people don’t understand. My girlfriend tells me I look great while my mom tells me I look fat and neither of them understand why I want to put on more weight.

If you're really concerned about your weight, track your maintenance calories for a week then just add a couple hundred. This way you'll put on weight but you're limiting how much you put on to a few pounds ever few months.

What’s really important in the end is if you're happy.

Ryumexicano
07-30-2009, 11:54 AM

Your guys are right! I should lift for myself. As long as I am happy, I will continue to Bulk, then I will try to do something about the stomach fat and everything should be fine. I really like weight lifting and being "big" is something I want to work hard for and also, on the other end, I want to be healthy. I will add cardio to my routine and just keep an eye on the diet. Honestly, today I feel better and not with that stupid voice telling me, "You are fat." The thing was that every one told me I was getting "fat", not big, "Fat" on the same day :S and It got to me. :ninja: :outnumber:

Thanks every one for the kind words :)

Ryumexicano
07-30-2009, 11:58 AM

I know it's crazy!! We used to see this guy at the gym, my friend and I, and he looked damn "big", and by big I meant muscular. I could see he had a belly but he was damn strong and big, while my friend, new to weight lifting, said, "Damn, look at that fat dude." Most people that are muscular look "fat", but when you take a look closer, damnnnn, "Scary people."

Pav
07-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Yea i just did a bulk and gained 55 pounds.. from 150-205.. bodyfat went from 10% to 20%.. im cutting right now back to 10% and hopefully ill be 180 pounds like the caliper says im supposed to be at 10% (at around 14% right now).. im never doing a big bulk again and allowing my bodyfat to get over 15%.. going clean this time around when i start bulking again and only 200 above maintenance.. not worth being fat and having to cut for extended periods of time..

Ryumexicano
07-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Yea i just did a bulk and gained 55 pounds.. from 150-205.. bodyfat went from 10% to 20%.. im cutting right now back to 10% and hopefully ill be 180 pounds like the caliper says im supposed to be at 10% (at around 14% right now).. im never doing a big bulk again and allowing my bodyfat to get over 15%.. going clean this time around when i start bulking again and only 200 above maintenance.. not worth being fat and having to cut for extended periods of time..

Damn!! 55 pounds sounds like a lot of weight to me and to get rid of the fat should be damn hard.

Is it harder to lose fat than gain the muscle? I lost weight, like 20 pounds 2 years ago, and it was very hard work, along with the super strict diet. Gaining muscle is super hard aswell :S

I guess all depends on how hard you work, your diet, when it comes to lose weight. I would say that you could drop 30 lbs pounds in 4 months.

Back to the subject, gaining 55 lbs in how much time?

Pav
07-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I gained 55 from august 1st to june 15.. I been cutting since then and already lost most of the fat, got about 8-9 pounds more to go and I should be finished.. hopefully by sept 1st ill be done.. I just hate eating low carbs.. i posted a pic a while back in the pics forum from 150-190.. I added around 30 pounds of muscle and 25 fat this bulk

Mercuryblade
07-30-2009, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=Ryumexicano;2184408This is very discouraging, especially when it comes from people you really appreciate. :( :( Any suggestions or opinions or stories with similar issues? I really want to continue with the bulking and get bigger. How long should a person bulk? How do you know when to stop? I just want a better looking, thick body. Any help, words of encouragement?
:(

There a few things to consider. Yeah, the "fat" comments are pretty much a given, I gain weight in my face pretty quickly when I bulk, and that's usually the first thing people notice. Usually I get positive comments from my dad and mom telling me how good I'm looking (they are very supportive of my weightlifting habits) and my sister will tease me about being fat (not surprising though, because she's been hospitalized due to anorexia). Have you tried explaining the cut/bulk concept to your family?

It's totally a personal preference on when you want to cut. How low a fat% are you hoping to drop to?
The heavier you get the longer you will have to cut to get down to a desired bodyfat%. For some people, a few straight months of dieting will drive them insane. I have really good discipline about abstaining from crappy food so I usually don't go crazy on cuts, but that's just me and you might not be the same way.

I think to help you out we need some more info:

What's your current weight, what would you like to be?
What is your relationship with food? Can you give up the crappy foods (with the exception of cheat days) for a few months, to reach your goals?

Ryumexicano
07-30-2009, 04:43 PM
There a few things to consider. Yeah, the "fat" comments are pretty much a given, I gain weight in my face pretty quickly when I bulk, and that's usually the first thing people notice. Usually I get positive comments from my dad and mom telling me how good I'm looking (they are very supportive of my weightlifting habits) and my sister will tease me about being fat (not surprising though, because she's been hospitalized due to anorexia). Have you tried explaining the cut/bulk concept to your family?

It's totally a personal preference on when you want to cut. How low a fat% are you hoping to drop to?
The heavier you get the longer you will have to cut to get down to a desired bodyfat%. For some people, a few straight months of dieting will drive them insane. I have really good discipline about abstaining from crappy food so I usually don't go crazy on cuts, but that's just me and you might not be the same way.

I think to help you out we need some more info:

What's your current weight, what would you like to be?
What is your relationship with food? Can you give up the crappy foods (with the exception of cheat days) for a few months, to reach your goals?

I am 5'7
My weight is 180-185
I would like to be more muscular, big legs, arms, shoulders, what have you..
I have given up soda, tortillas, and I try to avoid fast foods at all costs. I will definitely give up crappy food for months if that's the case

I have been working really hard at the gym. I take protein, well I stopped drinking it this week because of fear of getting constipated (as it usually happens) and I certainly don't want to get "fatter" and I have seen that it makes me "Fat" and bloated. Hopefully I am wrong about the protein powder. I am using RESULTS at the moment and that's pretty much it.

I wanna get bigger, even if that means getting more weight on, but I don't want to end up with a gigantic stomach that will take years to get rid of. My stomach is medium size, not so big, not so little, although I have some love handles for sure. My ultimate goal is to look big and lean.

Thanks for any advice you can give

:read:

mcdonough9395
07-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Its funny im going through the exact same thing. Ive was around 180 at the end of May and started my bulk June 1st and am now around 200-205. My BF has increased but not outta control ... yet haha. My buddies tell me damn wtf are you doing your looking big. While just the other day my parents tell me im getting fat.

This is exactly what my parents said. My dad told me my face was getting fat and asked sarcastically "When are you gunna start losing weight ... When your face is too big for your head?" I sarcastically answered back "When i can deadlift a house." He didnt really understand. They dont understand my GOMAD antics but rather think ive actually gone mad with the amount of food im consuming. At first i was kind of discouraged with the fat remarks but i shook it off. I take the positive remarks from my buddies more to heart then the negative ones from my parents because they really dont know what there talking about. Im taking it more as motivation to get huge and show them there wrong. I feel it gives me more accoutability and am out to prove them wrong. All i know is that im happy with myself being an overall bigger and much stronger guy.

dynamo
07-30-2009, 07:05 PM
my mom has the same issues. she doesn't 'believe' in protein shakes, tells me i eat too much and never called me fat but others in my family have. i just do what makes me happy. ill let my family talk but only bc they're family if anyone else were as repetitive about these things i wouldve said see ya later long ago. its just annoying but im the one who can pick up one end of their car...and theyre all just fat. so whatever.

p.s. a year. might go for 300 lbs when i get lower body fat and take it slow that time around. i would love to do MMA and be 300 lbs.

XMadmanX
07-30-2009, 07:14 PM
p.s. a year. might go for 300 lbs when i get lower body fat and take it slow that time around. i would love to do MMA and be 300 lbs.

woah getting hit by a 300lb dude, no thanks ahhaah

Tom Mutaffis
07-31-2009, 07:11 AM
I am 5'7
My weight is 180-185 I would like to be more muscular, big legs, arms, shoulders, what have you.. I have given up soda, tortillas, and I try to avoid fast foods at all costs. I will definitely give up crappy food for months if that's the case

I have been working really hard at the gym. I take protein, well I stopped drinking it this week because of fear of getting constipated (as it usually happens) and I certainly don't want to get "fatter" and I have seen that it makes me "Fat" and bloated. Hopefully I am wrong about the protein powder. I am using RESULTS at the moment and that's pretty much it.

I wanna get bigger, even if that means getting more weight on, but I don't want to end up with a gigantic stomach that will take years to get rid of. My stomach is medium size, not so big, not so little, although I have some love handles for sure. My ultimate goal is to look big and lean. :

It might be best to post a picture, but 5'7 and 180-185 lbs is not so big that poeple should be calling you overweight or anything.

For most guys who lift weights and train for mass that is a good size, and it not unreasonable to eventually work your way down to single digit bodyfat while maintaining your weight if you wanted to.

my mom has the same issues. she doesn't 'believe' in protein shakes, tells me i eat too much and never called me fat but others in my family have. i just do what makes me happy. ill let my family talk but only bc they're family if anyone else were as repetitive about these things i wouldve said see ya later long ago. its just annoying but im the one who can pick up one end of their car...and theyre all just fat. so whatever.

If you are going to fight in MMA I believe there is a maximum weight for HW's in most federations is 265 lbs. With the kind of intense training that MMA involves it should not be hard to keep your bodyweight down though.

Last year I remember Brock Lesnar had to cut a few pounds in order to make weight as a HW.

RichMcGuire
08-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Does having a higher body fat % overall increase estrogen?

Imho, it becomes easier and easier to gain fat the more you extend a bulk. This is suppose to be a process. You dont have to gain all of your weight at once and then try to cut down from there.

Can you post some pictures? At 5'7 and 180 lbs, a 36 inch waist might be a maximum to reach. You could always do this in cycles where you bulk, then cut for a bit, then bulk, etc.

But lift for yourself like others have said.

fpr
08-01-2009, 07:13 PM
It might be best to post a picture, but 5'7 and 180-185 lbs is not so big that poeple should be calling you overweight or anything.

I don't know Tom, he does have a 36'' waist. I know every one is built differently, but I'm 5'11 about ~235lbs (~18-20%BF) and have a 36'' waist. So I imagine someone at 5'7 with a 36'' waist must have a pretty big belly.

dynamo
08-01-2009, 09:59 PM
If you are going to fight in MMA I believe there is a maximum weight for HW's in most federations is 265 lbs. With the kind of intense training that MMA involves it should not be hard to keep your bodyweight down though.

Last year I remember Brock Lesnar had to cut a few pounds in order to make weight as a HW.

Ohh thats good to know. though the crew I train with on occasion (money issues) theres a rather rotund fellow who had competed in the NAGA tournaments and he was about 350...he also won first place...it is worth noting NAGA is groundfighting and grappling and not so much MMA.

berfles
08-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I've been bulking since I joined this site. Right now I'm basically maintaining (not that that means eating is any easier).

I'm 5'10 225lbs with an unknown waist. Last I measured I thought it was a 34 but I fit into my old 32 or 33 waist slacks, aside from the legs that is.

dumbbell
08-02-2009, 12:12 AM
but I fit into my old 32 or 33 waist slacks, aside from the legs that is.

Sweet!
That's some swole legs bro. Look out, Fuzzy.

Nicky
08-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I went from 151 in january to 201 mid july. I heard the "You are getting fat" thing too. After being soooo skinny for sooo long i guess everyone assumed it was fat. Then I started to wear sleeveless shirts to work when it got hot. People noticed the 3 inches I put on my arms more than the 2 inches I put on my waist. bulk and be happy.

PWR
08-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Does having a higher body fat % overall increase estrogen?
It can

crowewhite123
08-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Friends,

I think that You should do hard work and need regular exercise.All things depends on your diet activity.In that cause you should prevent oil etable things.

:hello:Best of luck.

mojo_
08-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Ryumexicano, how much has your waist increased since you started and how much have your other bodyparts increased? The tape measure doesnt lie my man. The scales however, often do. Just because you are gaining weight doesnt mean its all good, you need to have a good ratio of muscle to fat gain or there may be some truth in what your friends and family are saying to you. Be honest with yourself, or a few months down the line you may have to cut alot of fat to look good - which believe me is not fun and often alot of muscle is lost during that process.

PWR
08-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Friends,

I think that You should do hard work and need regular exercise.All things depends on your diet activity.In that cause you should prevent oil etable things.

:hello:Best of luck.

:confused:

aterry
08-03-2009, 09:04 AM
I was about to make this same topic...is it considered unusual to go from a 15.5% BF to 20% BF in about 6-7 weeks? My diet essentially consists of two eggs, carrots, and milk in the morning, a zone bar three hours later, lunch centered around protein and vegetables, a zone bar three hours later, and grilled chicken with either whole wheat pasta, whole grain brown rice, vegetables, fruit, and milk. I only have about four days per month where, if unavoidable, will eat pizza or unhealthy food, and I do SS M/W/F with HIIT on Tues/Thurs/Sat. I'm 5/9, 173 lbs and I feel like I've put on more bodyfat than actual weight. Do I just not understand the basics of bulk and cut, or what?

Eric Cartman
08-03-2009, 09:32 AM
To the original poster: PLEASE READ BELOW:

Here is the basic problem:

You're gonna want to keep bulking forever... why? Because its fun and rewarding! You get to eat a lot of great food, eat as much as you want, and your muscles and strength are growing, who would want to stop that? Once you get on that fun ride, its possible to become addicted to it and bulk up to 200 lbs and over 20% BF.

But you won't look good, and you will be forced to do a cut that could last 6-8 months or longer..

I'd say if your waist is over 34" and your BF% is higher then 15 or so, you should cut...

Keep things in a good healthy range, have the discipline to cut when you need to... I got a lot more compliments when I cut down to 12% BF recently then when I was 210 lbs after a bulk.

I can tell from your posts that you just dont have the DISCIPLINE to cut when you have to.

EC

Ryumexicano
08-03-2009, 10:18 AM
My waist was 32" 14-18 of age, 34" 18-23 of age, 36" 23-24/25 up to now. I use to be 28 when I was 14 or so. I mean, things chance of course.

Here are some pictures: I really think I should lose the waist and stomach. I just don't know what to do at this point. It's been an issue lately :(

THESE PICTURES ARE FROM FRIDAY, AUGUST 31 2009

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5502/ryu1.png

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6040/ryu2.png

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8563/ryu3.png

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/159/ryu4.png

Please don't laugh: OFFER YOUR MOST KIND ADVICE and be specific if you can. :):ninja:

mojo_
08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Looking at your pics It's time to melt some of that fat away IMHO. :thumbup:

Ryumexicano
08-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Looking at your pics It's time to melt some of that fat away IMHO. :thumbup:

Thanks for your humble opinion. You know, I want to lose the weight, but I don'tw ant to lose the muscle I have gained and the strength I have gained.

Can I combine weights with Cardio? I have decided to stick cardio for 30 minutes to my routine every day I work out and during off days 1 hour. I will decrease my intake of carbs as much as I can and I will drink water until I explode.

Any experienced guys here that can guide me?

Thanks!

Mercuryblade
08-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for your humble opinion. You know, I want to lose the weight, but I don'tw ant to lose the muscle I have gained and the strength I have gained.

Can I combine weights with Cardio? I have decided to stick cardio for 30 minutes to my routine every day I work out and during off days 1 hour. I will decrease my intake of carbs as much as I can and I will drink water until I explode.

Thanks!

You've got some good size on you. You're still pretty proportional (ie your gut doesn't stick out) which means you've got pretty good genetics. After seeing those pics I would say it's time for a cut.
If you do it correctly and keep your protein intake levels high enough (which can be a real bitch when your caloric intake gets low) you should see minimal lean mass loss.
Also keep in mind that many people actually start to look a little worse as they drop their BF levels down (before getting to their desired bodyfat %). With most men, that means the love handles and stomach are the last to go. So you'll lose the fat off your arms and back and chest first, but still have the gut sticking out.

ZenMonkey
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Carb cycle yourself down to your desired bf level.. the carb cycle right back up to the bw you want

Tom Mutaffis
08-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Thanks!

As others mentioned you may want to drop your calories / carbohydrates slightly while maintaining high protein intake.

With regard to cardio what you are doing is much more important than how much. High intensity cardio will burn muscle, but low intensity cardio or interval training will burn more fat. What I would do is interval training for 20 minutes on your training days (sprint one minute, walk one minute - alternating) and then low intensity cardio on non-training days (walk for 45 minutes at 3 MPH). This will help you to hold on to the hard-earned muscle that you have built. You can always do cardio for a couple of weeks and then if you feel like you are losing too much weight you can ease up for a week or two. I would just pay very close attention to the scale and the mirror then adjust my training / diet accordingly.

samadhi_smiles
08-03-2009, 03:59 PM
the biggest mistake people on here commit themselves to is the 'fact' that if you bulk you must get to be a fatass after awhile. If you're getting fat then you're doing it wrong (too many calories or not enough cardio or both).

Ryumexicano
08-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks to every one for the input! I will do HIIT for 30 minutes in every training session and some more cardio for burning fat during non training days and be estrict with the diet. I really appreciate your humble opinions. I am here to learn as much as possible and of course do my homework too and find things out for myself. THanks every one. Any recommendations, burning fat exercises are appreciated.. also supplements, any recommendations?

Eric Cartman
08-03-2009, 05:43 PM
the biggest mistake people on here commit themselves to is the 'fact' that if you bulk you must get to be a fatass after awhile. If you're getting fat then you're doing it wrong (too many calories or not enough cardio or both).

Well, you gotta gain some fat when you eat all those calories.. maybe not massive amounts, but you get love handles at least..

Ryumexicano
08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
As others mentioned you may want to drop your calories / carbohydrates slightly while maintaining high protein intake.

With regard to cardio what you are doing is much more important than how much. High intensity cardio will burn muscle, but low intensity cardio or interval training will burn more fat. What I would do is interval training for 20 minutes on your training days (sprint one minute, walk one minute - alternating) and then low intensity cardio on non-training days (walk for 45 minutes at 3 MPH). This will help you to hold on to the hard-earned muscle that you have built. You can always do cardio for a couple of weeks and then if you feel like you are losing too much weight you can ease up for a week or two. I would just pay very close attention to the scale and the mirror then adjust my training / diet accordingly.

Thanks Tom! You are always helping the newbies like me. I tried HIIT Yesterday on the treadmill and all I can say is that it was "INTENSE". I really liked it though because I enjoy running, mostly outdoors but after some weeks my knees hurt, due to the pavement where I run (parking lot) I could do HIIT everyday for 20 minutes--sounds like an awesome idea Tom.

One question though:

How should I incoorporate my squats and my HIIT for 20 minutes, meaning, can I combine both of them in the same day, or should I just lower the intensity on the squats? I can handle both, like I did Yesterday, but I want to know it it takes in any way the benefits of the squats.... any helP?

hellagrant
08-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Agreed. After a certain point, those extra calories you eat do nothing but turn into fat. People should focus on their diet more closely when bulking, especially the total caloric intake per day.

Longest I went on a bulk was 3 months. Probably could have kept going but I was getting to fat in my opinion. Most guys on here probably would have said to continue bulking.

Ryumexicano
08-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I will stick to HIIT 20 minutes every day.

I just figured that if I continued to bulk, I would probably be too fat to fit in my pants and that's not a good idea for me, since I travel a lot with a music band and I don't want my pants to be tight and I can't get those unique jeans because they are specially designed. I think it would be better if I fit better in them.

Thanks for your comments every one. They are very well appreciated!!!

:read:

Joe Black
08-05-2009, 12:53 AM
This stuff is very personal. If you just want to be big and strong and don't mind the fat, happy days.. keep going and keep doing what you are doing.

If you genuinely are starting to feel unconfomfortable and it's more important for you to look leaner, it's time to cut...

Heres is an example. My goals used to be:

1. Size/Weight
2. Strength

Now it is:

1. Being Lean
2. Mobility
3. Strength
4. Cardiovascular capacity/health
5. Size/Weight

See how much that changed? As a result I am on a mission to get lean and then I will stay lean and admit that my weight and strength will go up slowly but it means I can stay lean which is the most important thing for me.

But, when my goals used to be size and strength, I just used to eat a ton and watch those scales.. I didn't care that I was a higher bodyfat.

I guess what I am trying to say is it depends on how YOU feel. Do what makes you happy. If you want to look leaner and that will make you happier and feel better, cut some weight. Actually I can virtually gauantee that if you cut 20lbs, you'll probably look bigger than you are now due to the definition.

Joe Black
08-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Also keep a close eye on the main site for a new article. It will be live next week. It specifically addresses the bulk vs cut scenario and offers an alternative strategy.

KarlMarx
08-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Is it harder to lose fat than gain the muscle?

This seems like the million dollar question to me. I would guess it is different for every person. However, I have to recognize that I am much happier about bulking than cutting. I am planning on getting a cardio machine in my place for 30 mins sessions every morning. Hopefully that will help.

RichMcGuire
08-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Also keep a close eye on the main site for a new article. It will be live next week. It specifically addresses the bulk vs cut scenario and offers an alternative strategy.

Looking forward to that.

Eric Cartman
08-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Are your cutting cycles shorter or longer then your bulk cycles? Do you bulk 3 months and cut 1 month? What is the best ratio?

RichMcGuire
08-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Are your cutting cycles shorter or longer then your bulk cycles? Do you bulk 3 months and cut 1 month? What is the best ratio?

I think everyone responds differently. Also, it depends on how slow your bulk was and/or how much fat you have to lose. For example:

If you went crazy and just ate everything in sight, you may have gained your 30 lbs in 2 months. But with that being said, a lot of it was fat. So while your "bulk" only took you 2 months, you can bet its going to take a lot longer to lose all of that body fat. You can only lose fat so fast before you lose muscle with it or simply shut down your metabolism.

If on the other hand, you bulked slowly, at a steady pace, it will take you longer to reach a goal weight. But when you go to cut, you will have much less body fat to lose and thus, a shorter cutting cycle.

So "ideal" really depends on how you went about things and your genetic factors.

Ryumexicano
10-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Just an update on how my back is going after adding Dumbell rows, wide grip pull ups, Dips, Squats, and other back exercises recommended. It's nothing big, but I think I can do better.

Any recommendations so I can get a better back, since I am starting my cut in January?

Thanks!!

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9226/withshirt.png

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3473/backryu.png

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8158/progress2.png
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2246/progress3.png
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8936/progress1.png

How can I get a better looking back? I just want to get a more thick, muscular back for next year. :evillaugh::indian:

See you guys! :hello:

bass slayer
10-31-2009, 07:56 AM
I did a bulk last year from 175-210. My bf went up from 10% - 15% Im going to do another bulk this year also. Right now Im sitting at 197-200ish. Im aiming for 225.

Off Road
10-31-2009, 08:02 AM
How can I get a better looking back? I just want to get a more thick, muscular back for next year.

Time and consistant pregression.

dynamo
10-31-2009, 09:29 AM
i bulked for 2 years. im leaning out now, seems to be more of body recomp than anything as i haven't lost any weight. I am taking my timeand noticed its more about food intake than it is about my activities.

AllisonAnderson
11-27-2009, 04:33 AM
I will continue to adhere to only the largest and most ruokani and my hard work. I really do not want to give my hard training. We'll see what happens in a few months. I try to ignore when they say something about disappointment
Thanks to all, and the positive response. I appreciate your time. :outnumber::outnumber: :hello:

XtraSpezial
12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
A long time. I let my BF% really gradually incline to around 20% before cutting. I would let it rise further but i'm one of the unlucky lot who display bodyfat disproportionately - it all just tends to go straight to my gut and makes me look much fatter than I actually am lol.