PDA

View Full Version : Starting 5/3/1 and cutting

berfles
07-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Should I hold off cutting until I establish myself in the 5/3/1 routine? I ask because I know the weights are going to be on the light side for a few weeks, and if I'm cutting, wouldn't that make it harder to retain strength? If I'm not pushing myself that hard and throw in some cardio to start the weight loss, it seems like I'd have a smaller chance of retaining the strength I built up.

Mercuryblade
07-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Should I hold off cutting until I establish myself in the 5/3/1 routine? I ask because I know the weights are going to be on the light side for a few weeks, and if I'm cutting, wouldn't that make it harder to retain strength? If I'm not pushing myself that hard and throw in some cardio to start the weight loss, it seems like I'd have a smaller chance of retaining the strength I built up.

I have more "weak days" when I'm cutting. But I have yet to lose any strength on a cut. Everyone is different though.

Aren't you on like 9000 calories per day? I'm guessing that on 8500 you won't notice much a difference in your strength.

Off Road
07-30-2009, 10:30 AM
9,000 calories a day :omg:

berfles
07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I have more "weak days" when I'm cutting. But I have yet to lose any strength on a cut. Everyone is different though.

Aren't you on like 9000 calories per day? I'm guessing that on 8500 you won't notice much a difference in your strength.

No, 6000 a day. If I cut 500 calories I would probably lose everything.

I actually think my plan was to not cut anything diet wise and just start doing something active, that's all it would take for me to lose weight. Remembering that, I guess it wouldn't be so bad after all.

brihead301
07-30-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't bulk or cut, but I always stick to "strength" programs. I see 160 lb. guys squatting 600+ lbs., so I know it's possible to get stronger without gaining weight. Therefore I'd say that no matter what you're going for - gaining, maintaining, or cutting, you can always get stronger. Just my personal philosophy though. I could be wrong.

berfles
07-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Sure it's possible, I just always read that you should not change your workout and keep lifting heavy so you retain muscle despite being in a calorie deficit. I was just worried that I wouldn't convince my body to retain the strength if I start cutting and am lifting lighter weights for a month until I work my way back up in the 5/3/1. Since it's my first time cutting, I'm a bit paranoid after having come so far.

Reko
07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
well you have to figure out what you value more, being strong of being lean and then go from there.

mcdonough9395
07-30-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm cutting,

:omg:

berfles
07-31-2009, 08:08 AM
well you have to figure out what you value more, being strong of being lean and then go from there.

I suppose, though I'm not looking to get super lean, just "in shape" because I get out of breath from blinking.

Though I am pretty happy with my strength as of late, squatted 455x2 ATG last night and probably could have had another one or two.