PDA

View Full Version : Difference between olympic squat racks and other racks?

Brian999
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
I was wondering, whats the difference between an olympic squat rack used to train professional olympic lifters, and other racks like body solid, powertec, or the efs rack? I including a picture of the olympic squat rack, could you still bench in it? Im just wondering because in the pic the bar is on the outside, and I want to be safe because I have dropped the bar quite a few times. Also is this a better option then getting other racks? I like how its small, but Im not sure if its as good. This rack is going for pretty cheap in craigslist so Im just wondering, im kind of cheap.:redface:

Thanks!

Jesse Hernandez
07-31-2009, 04:24 PM
yea, you could still bench in that, if u had a bench.

That squat rack would be pretty much like competition. So it would be benifitial to have, but also, going heavy could get dangerous if you dont have spotters..... I should say GOOD spotters.

Brian999
07-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah I was worried about that, I didn't see pins. It has holes though, would I be able to put pins in you think? Rather be safe then sorry. I dont have that good of a spotter, I have still dropped the bar on a squat a couple times, but luckly there was pins.

Jesse Hernandez
07-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah I was worried about that, I didn't see pins. It has holes though, would I be able to put pins in you think? Rather be safe then sorry. I dont have that good of a spotter, I have still dropped the bar on a squat a couple times, but luckly there was pins.

You wont be able to put pins in that rack, cause your squatting on the outside. I mean, you could fabricate something, but I dont know how good of a welder you are.

I wouldnt even worry about, if you fail, just dump it behind you. Worst case scenario you **** a barbell up (assuming you dump it behind you)

Risk and Reward.... So Brian, DEAL or NO DEAL?

jefflance1
07-31-2009, 07:51 PM
I train with a rack pretty similar to this one. The only exception being that the rack I use also has spotter arms that can be used as an extension of the rack. I have put 400 pounds down on those arms and didn't even scratch them. Of course, I have trained on how to dump the weight in case I need to when squatting. Plan an exit strategy with your workout and you won't regret it when the time comes.

Fuzzy
07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
I train with a rack pretty similar to this one. The only exception being that the rack I use also has spotter arms that can be used as an extension of the rack. I have put 400 pounds down on those arms and didn't even scratch them. Of course, I have trained on how to dump the weight in case I need to when squatting. Plan an exit strategy with your workout and you won't regret it when the time comes.

Excellent post.

I have gone to maximal weights without a safety rack, and you have to learn how to get yourself out of a pickle. There is a technique to safely dumping squats.

Jesse Hernandez
07-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Excellent post.

I have gone to maximal weights without a safety rack, and you have to learn how to get yourself out of a pickle. There is a technique to safely dumping squats.

Yes, its generally known as the "5 D's of Dodgball" or in this case 5 D's of Powerlifting.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQqkQKde_kU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQqkQKde_kU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KarstenDD
07-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Well I reckon that this half rack would work about the same as any other half rack.

Brian999
08-01-2009, 12:21 AM
You wont be able to put pins in that rack, cause your squatting on the outside. I mean, you could fabricate something, but I dont know how good of a welder you are.

I wouldnt even worry about, if you fail, just dump it behind you. Worst case scenario you **** a barbell up (assuming you dump it behind you)

Risk and Reward.... So Brian, DEAL or NO DEAL?

Thanks for the info jesse, but I think im gonna have to pass. It's cheap, but I dont know about not having pins especially since I wanna bench on it, and I dont have a reliable spotter. He trains a couple times a month. I could figure out a way to saftly drop the bar possibly but my space is super limited.

thanks again for the info though, saved me a trip to his place. :)

Notorious
08-01-2009, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the info jesse, but I think im gonna have to pass. It's cheap, but I dont know about not having pins especially since I wanna bench on it, and I dont have a reliable spotter. He trains a couple times a month. I could figure out a way to saftly drop the bar possibly but my space is super limited.

thanks again for the info though, saved me a trip to his place. :)

You can buy two adjustable saw horses from a hardware store and put those to your sides. Should be pretty cheap.