PDA

View Full Version : Bench shirt logistics

OGROK
08-01-2009, 07:32 PM
If you are going to train in a shirt, do you basically need a training partner all the time in order to get the shirt on and all that ****? How do you guys manage outside of dedicated powerlifting gyms?

Brian Hopper
08-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I know it really helps to have some guys around to help out. It's alot easier when there are an extra set of hands helping you get your shirt set. But there are alot of very successful lifters that train alone and manage.

OGROK
08-01-2009, 08:41 PM
So it is possible to put a bench shirt on alone? How?

mattdunkin
08-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Here's a link to Mike Tuchsherer's youtube page-on there are about 5 videos in a series of solo shirted bench training where he shows in detail his technique for putting a bench shirt on by yourself.It is insane and very inspiring that this guy is training by himself and putting the huge numbers up that he is.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Power275

barbell01
08-01-2009, 09:14 PM
i think attempting to train alone in a shirt is extremely foolish.

OGROK
08-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Not so much training alone, but getting the shirt on/off alone

BigTallOx
08-01-2009, 10:09 PM
It's more than putting the shirt on. Maybe it's just that I have really long arms, but there's no way I can unrack the weight by myself in my shirt. AND if you happen to get out of the grove of the shirt, expect to have a barbell laying across your face. I think it would be a really really stupid thing do to ( and as I've said it's not because it's hard to get a shirt on alone ).

OGROK
08-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I have no problems getting a random spotter, but having to have some dude on hand to help me get the shirt on would be a pain in the ass.

barbell01
08-02-2009, 09:33 AM
random spotters suck

Brian C
08-02-2009, 10:48 AM
It depends on your shirt. I use an APT APEX single ply and they promote being able to get on and setting your shirt by yourself. I get mine on and set in about 2 minutes and get about 120ish lbs out of it.

BigTallOx
08-02-2009, 03:42 PM
You need more than a random spotter when benching in a shirt. Be careful, or you're going to get hurt.

robchris
08-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I have (2) teenage daughters to help w/ mine... However they always cry about thier hands hurting afterwards.

If you train alone It can be tough putting one on, as I have done it before. You really do need a spotter though! dont go heavy w/o one!

Don't give up brother, wheres there's a will there's a way!
Good luck training.

barbell01
08-03-2009, 12:34 PM
don't go heavy or light without good spotters, i have dumped more light weights than i have heavy, just fron the speed of the bar and not getting under the bar fast enuff.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
You will need a few good training partners to help you with your shirt. It will take 1-2 guys to get your shirt on and you will need side spotters for safety. Yes it is possible to put a shirt on by yourself, but it's probably too big. Also, having a training partner ensure you to get the shirt just tweaked right on your body. You couldn't pay me to get my shirt on by myself! I have had IPF Champions help me get my shirt on and won't help me anymore:)

I suggest forming a Group Workout and invite guys to join you. That's what I did 5 years and it's awesome!!

Robert Crawford
08-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I train alone. Always have. On days when I wear a bench shirt, I have no trouble getting my Titan Katana or Inzer Rage X on or off.

Robert Crawford

mastermonster
08-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I train with one bench partner now (Mike Harden). We have no problem getting a shirt on each other and I wear a 50 Super Katana (closed back for this meet) with a 54 inch chest; but we both have a lot of experience putting on shirts. I still don't see how anyone gets on a shirt by themselves that is tight enough to work...but then my shoulders are pretty much shot. We usually have good people around that will help side spot and hold boards. I'm like BTO but with really short arms. I can't unrack weight when I'm shirted by myself...partly the shoulder issues. I'm impressed by anyone who pulls solo training equipped off. But I still worry about them.

Clifford Gillmore
08-04-2009, 04:46 AM
Here's a link to Mike Tuchsherer's youtube page-on there are about 5 videos in a series of solo shirted bench training where he shows in detail his technique for putting a bench shirt on by yourself.It is insane and very inspiring that this guy is training by himself and putting the huge numbers up that he is.

Thanks for the AWESOME link! I've been putting off getting a new shirt because of having no-one to train with, I'm getting one for shore!

theBarzeen
08-05-2009, 09:18 PM
if anything use a power rack with the pins set just below your belly with a good arch, so at least if you miss you won't crush your face..... or just train raw and maybe once a month make the drive to a powerlifting gym to work your gear out.....

littleman19
08-07-2009, 01:23 AM

i have seen the light. thanks for this!

mattdunkin
08-07-2009, 02:01 AM
i have seen the light. thanks for this!

No problem-glad you and Risk10k got something from my post.Sitting here at the gym during work and not having anything to do since I took this week and the last one off from training to let a few minor injuries heal,about the only thing I've been doing is spending my time online-I swear,it is pretty bad when you get bored with tube8...I even watched some video footage from the IPF World Games-now that is bad.