PDA

View Full Version : Post w/o meals and pre bed meal while cutting?

Clone
08-01-2009, 10:16 PM
2 questions I'd like your thoughts on:

1: When trying to lose fat while still lifting and doing conditioning workouts, should the post w/o meal still be the same?

I have a shake consisting of mainly maltodextrin and whey after my workouts. Should this be any different while cutting?

2: Before bed I usually have a cup of oats with a scoop of whey mixed in, about 50g carbs and 30g protein.

I workout 1 hr after I wake up and only have a small weight gainer shake for breakfast (1/2 serving MHP Up Your Mass that uses oats and oat fiber for carbs). So I like to get some nutrients into my system right before bed to hopefully fuel my morning workout.

Should I cut out the carbs or take in less before bed? There seems to be some debate whether or not carbs before bed will be stored as fat.

I'd like my strength and energy levels to stay as high as possible.

Adam
08-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Those are important meals, try to cut your cals through out the rest of the day.

If I'd make an adjustment to what your doing, cut oatmeal from days end and have it when you wake up.

Clone
08-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks Adam.

Forgot to add the reason I only have a shake for breakfast is that I don't have an appetite right when I get up.

I very rarely can hold down solid food in the morning.

Shoulda put that in my post.

Any other thoughts with that info?

Malice
08-02-2009, 06:25 AM
I used to have the same problem with solids in the morning, to get around this I made essentially the same meal but in shake form, stick it in the fridge over night and there you go, first meal in a drink :).

Oats
Fruit (berries/bannana)
Protein powder
Milk/Water (milk tastes alot better, water will suffice on a cut)
Ground flax powder (great fats and fibre)
Can use juice in it for taste

Could even stick a few raw eggs in it :).

Trainwreck
08-02-2009, 09:37 AM
I used to have the same problem with solids in the morning, to get around this I made essentially the same meal but in shake form, stick it in the fridge over night and there you go, first meal in a drink :).

Oats
Fruit (berries/bannana)
Protein powder
Milk/Water (milk tastes alot better, water will suffice on a cut)
Ground flax powder (great fats and fibre)
Can use juice in it for taste

Could even stick a few raw eggs in it :).

Please don't. While cutting try to cut carbs while keeping protein high. PWO meal looks fine but definitely don't eat 50g of carbs before bed. Try having cottage cheese instead, or a pre-bed shake.

Clone
08-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I forgot all about cottage cheese.

I used to eat it before bed years ago. Might have to go back to it.

JSully
08-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Stick the oatmeal in your shake with some PB and a banana in the morning, tastes great.. have this about 2hrs post workout since you workout in the mornings..

IMO, pre-workout shakes are more important as they will fuel your workout. I personally have about 70g protein, 50g carbs and no fat in my pre-WO shake, my post-WO shake has the same protein and about 25g carbs with no fat..

cottage cheese is a great pre-bed snack..

Clone
08-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Not sure if I could stomach all that.

I only have 1 hr between when I get up and workout. No other way to do it with my schedule.

JSully
08-05-2009, 09:11 AM
well form your schedule around your workouts..

priorities bro, priorities.. lol

Skalami
08-06-2009, 07:00 AM
i know its frowned upon but i had the same thing before, i woke up hit the gym and was at work by 10. I made GREAT gains during this period. Didnt have any food just coffee, i would think having food so close to my workout would slow me down. I personally think once you get into a rhythm of eating soon after your workout, eating healthy throughout the day and maybe having some protein late at night once your body gets used to that it wont hurt you so much to workout on an empty stomach.

This was just something i used to do and wanted to point out. I know it goes way against conventional wisdom

Clone
08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
well form your schedule around your workouts..

priorities bro, priorities.. lol

Everything is scheduled around my workouts.

It it were anymore, I'd probably be out of a job, out of a GF, and out of the family. LOL :thumbup:

Clone
08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
i know its frowned upon but i had the same thing before, i woke up hit the gym and was at work by 10. I made GREAT gains during this period. Didnt have any food just coffee, i would think having food so close to my workout would slow me down. I personally think once you get into a rhythm of eating soon after your workout, eating healthy throughout the day and maybe having some protein late at night once your body gets used to that it wont hurt you so much to workout on an empty stomach.

This was just something i used to do and wanted to point out. I know it goes way against conventional wisdom

If I tried eating any real food for breakfast I would quite often throw up while working out.

Even a single slice of toast.

Having a shake for breakfast seems to work for me.