PDA

View Full Version : DE bench....

djenkins76
08-01-2009, 10:30 PM
I was reading Dave Tates 6 week bench cure, i was think of adding 2 board presses to my De day for bench but only doing 2 sets of 5 or at most 3x5. My questions is. is this smart or would it be to much volume for this day?

AdamBAG
08-02-2009, 08:25 AM
I was reading Dave Tates 6 week bench cure, i was think of adding 2 board presses to my De day for bench but only doing 2 sets of 5 or at most 3x5. My questions is. is this smart or would it be to much volume for this day?

The old school westside template calls for 8 sets of triples for speed followed by lockout work consisting of 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. For most the lockout work would be off high boards or pins. I guess you could replace the lockout work with 2 board, but I wouldn't add anything on top of speed work and lockout work. You need to replace something IMO.

Travis Bell
08-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Any more we don't use any boards on DE day. We like to keep it light and focused on speed. We still train our lockout, but use specific exercises that are all variations of extensions to improve lockout. This prevents us from overtraining too much.

Too much heavy work and my joints start to get really sore and achy.

If you must do them, just keep it somewhat light and I'd recommend a close grip variation.

MarcusWild
08-02-2009, 04:16 PM
+1 with Travis. Louie said something that made sense at the seminar, "Always use a lighter weight to help you move a heavier weight." Use stuff that's more tricep specific, and you'll use less weight and beat up your body less.