PDA

View Full Version : Different training methods

BFGUITAR
08-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I had a lengthy conversation with one of the old guys I work out with today. He was telling me about how he use to train and one thing he mentioned was that he would always wears his squat suit for moderate-heavy lifting (straps down for moderate stuff) and didn't when he went really light (around 225) for high rep work. I always had the mentality that training without equipment is preferred. This guy knows his stuff though... he couldn't have won the nationals 7 times without some knowledge of the sport of powerlifting. Are there many people who always train with a suit?

isaku900
08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
except for deload weeks, I'm almost always in some sort of gear for my main exercises.

barbell01
08-03-2009, 07:23 PM
for squats, as soon as the warmups are over the briefs are on. on speed day i have even been throwing the suit on with straps down.

BigTallOx
08-03-2009, 07:25 PM
I squat in my suit a lot because it saves my hips.

JasonLift
08-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I always wear a loose pair of briefs even going light, but my job requires alot of utility pole climbing so I try to keep a little support.

robchris
08-03-2009, 07:55 PM
except for deload weeks, I'm almost always in some sort of gear for my main exercises.

Same here...Gear, except for deload week. BP and DL are raw but I'm still in briefs on deload week!

BFGUITAR
08-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks everyone! I learned a lot from this thread. I didn't realize how significant gear was!

MarcusWild
08-03-2009, 08:38 PM
If you want to get the most out of your gear, then wear it often. I just did 4-5 weeks raw and it beat the crap out of me compared to training in gear. It was good, but I can't imagine doing that long-term.

JK1
08-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I think the answer varies quite a bit depending on the lifter and the gear the lifter uses. I'm a single ply lifter who benches in a Rage X and squats in a TRX. I typically always do box squats in some type of light briefs (inzer power pants) but >12 weeks out from a meet, I'll squat RAW. Bench work, I generally don't even look at my shirt until I'm 7 or so weeks out. Instead in a 12 week training cycle, i spend the first 3-4 weeks trying to really push my RAW board and floor press (which is a full range bench for my short thick torso) up, then shirt up and push shirted board work, then go to full range the last 2-3 weeks before the meet. I may throw in one or two full range sets after board work in the weeks prior. I may not touch my squat suit until 4 or 5 weeks prior to the meet. I've tried the premeet suiting up (especially for box squats) and what I end up doing is getting frustrated and stagnating.

In my mind, to be a truely good lifter, you need to build that RAW base and keep building it.