PDA

View Full Version : Question on GHR

JK1
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I tore my left calf in May--a grade 1-2 tear of the lateral head of the gastroc, by being a clutz and falling down some stairs. Rehab has gone very good, except for one thing... it seems like I've completely forgotten how to/lost the ability to do Glute Ham Raises. I can't seem to drive my heels into the foot plate and get my hamstrings to fire at all. I've gone from doing what I considered to be easy sets of 10 (and sets holding kettle bells) to barely being able to do 5 reps. These have been a mainstay of my accessory work, so its become frustrating.

has anyone else had this problem post calf injury. Am I missing something or do I just need to start over and relearn the exercise? Does it make sense to drop GHR's and focus on something like Stiff legged deadlifts/romanian deadlifts for a while?

Thanks

blownby
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
stick with them, but maybe do them assisted, have someone catch you on the way down & help/toss you back up till you relearn or get back doing them on your own.

Travis Bell
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
If you aren't very strong on GHR's right now, definitely keep them. You need to keep working on them to get stronger at them.

It's probably you just got a bit weaker over the time off and the rehab. It happens. It'll come back

Lones Green
08-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Maybe move the footplate back a bit until you can crank out reps easy, then move it up some? Its always easier with the foot plate further back. Then when you get to your knees on the pad add weight