PDA

View Full Version : Wider squat form, welcome critiques

lil' power
08-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Working with Lonesxedge on widening up my squat to incorporate more hip/glutes...I've been a narrow stance / quad dominate squatter, but I want to move more weight.

I'm posting both wider squat form and my narrow stance as well...right now I squat raw, but gear is probably in the future (2010) as I want to hit elite raw in the 148 class first.

a couple of things Lones and I have noticed:
1) elbows probably need to be down more than back
2) I'm working on hip flexibility (agile 8)
3) I feel like I'm going to drop the weight off my back and my toes move quite a bit on my wider stance

175# on the bar in both vids
Narrow stance:
NYcU7e7EmfE

Wider stance:
YIbdMu1jTAs

Travis Bell
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Good stuff Vikki!

Lones certainly knows his stuff.

You definitely looked more solid with the wide stance. Since you're already working on the flexibility, you'll eventually be able to get down to the box faster, but I'd still try and focus on getting down quicker in the mean time.

You're leaning over a bit too far also (I'm sure Lones already said that)

Other than that I'd say smack whoever put that ridiculous song on at the gym and you'll be good to go!

Lones Green
08-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah I'm glad I got out of that gym, haha

You were leaning to get depth in the wider video, just like you were the other day. You start sitting back good and then you stop and just go straight down. You have to keep sitting back as you go down, pretend like the box isn't even there. Eventually, your hamstrings will come in contact with it.

Keep working the flexibility as well, do the agile 8 before every workout and pick some hip/hamstring stretches and do them every day. Don't forget to foam roll those IT bands as well

Its coming along nicely though. You just started practicing the wider stance, and you are far ahead of where I was at that point, squatting in the same power rack, trying to figure out this stuff by myself. It takes a long time to build the hip and glute strength you need. It takes even longer to get your form down. Squat form was all I thought about for about 6 months straight, I drove myself crazy. It takes time. You have time. Powerlifting will be here for a long time, there is no time crunch!

Still experiment with a higher bar placement, and you're going to have to learn to keep sitting back without thinking the bar is going to fall off your back.

Brian Hopper
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
You looked alot more comfortable squatting wide then close. Trust me, I always have that fear about the bar wanting to come off my back and it sucks. But you will get the hang of it, and you will be fine. Just keep it up and keep listening to lones, all that advise he just posted is very good.

lil' power
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

I just watched a couple of the Squat RX vids and I will start working on the following:

high bar placement w/slightly narrower grip
spreading the floor with feet instead of concentrating on being on my heels

theBarzeen
08-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

I just watched a couple of the Squat RX vids and I will start working on the following:

high bar placement w/slightly narrower grip
spreading the floor with feet instead of concentrating on being on my heels

took the words out of my mouth.... look at guys like Jo Jordan or Jose Garcia ( look at the cover of the August PLWatch to see what I mean)

to squat wide you need to have the bar up high, and when you break your knees should break first or else you wind up bent over

look for videos of either of those lifters to see what I mean

Brian Hopper
08-06-2009, 08:48 AM
took the words out of my mouth.... look at guys like Jo Jordan or Jose Garcia ( look at the cover of the August PLWatch to see what I mean)

I think you meant to say PowerliftingUSA....

theBarzeen
08-07-2009, 10:42 AM
sorry.... PLUSA

cheesedips
08-15-2009, 08:14 AM
sorry but whats agile 8?

Lones Green
08-15-2009, 11:50 AM
sorry but whats agile 8?

A simple google search will yield many results my friend.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/warm-up-your-hips-agile-8-a-631289.html

tabormcandrews
08-15-2009, 01:06 PM
i couldn't see the videos of you but some things that might help encourage you are that with the wide stance you need to remember to point your toes out (like i said i didn't see the video so you might be doing fine with that but i was weird for me) and also your balance will be off for a while, just keep squatting and you will become a ton more comfortable with the stance. and since you are an experienced squatter you know to keep on your heels but i remembered one guy saying to break your knees first but i would still start with the hips. that guy did have a point, though, you do need to try and stay as straight as you can for as long as you can

good luck, i will be excited to hear about when you get this weight!

lil' power
08-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Here are some vid from today's DE session...yes, first one is Lonesxedge coaching me (aren't I the lucky one!)

ZxFYYWw-0EE

2nd one at 175#
crRNTmZ1yPk

Thanks for the critiques, I'm taking each suggestion in, working in most alittle at a time. Next DE day, going for a lower box to break parallel.

Travis Bell
08-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Looking better Vikki!

One thing that stands out to me is that while your not bending over at the shoulders, your hips are rotating quite a bit forward at the start of the lift.

a little bit of that isn't bad, but a lot is going to end up putting you in a position where keeping good form is going to be very difficult with heavier weight.

I think it's because you're so focused on arching very hard that it's causing you some of the tightness in your hips. Work on really tightening your stomach and the rest of your core when you're arching hard. Don't forget that your back is only one side! You need to complete your core tightness by using your abs as well.

Joe Black
08-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Yeah I'm glad I got out of that gym, haha

Keep working the flexibility as well, do the agile 8 before every workout and pick some hip/hamstring stretches and do them every day. Don't forget to foam roll those IT bands as well

Out of curiousity, what does the agile 8 consist of?

lil' power
08-17-2009, 05:20 AM
Joe Defranco's “Agile Eight”

#1 – Foam Roll IT Band
#2 – Foam Roll Adductors
#3 – Glute/Piriformis Myofacial release w/ static stretch
#4 – *Rollovers into “V” sits – Perform 10 reps
#5 - *Fire hydrant circles – 10 forward circles/10 backward circles each leg
#6 - *Mountain climbers – 20 reps
#7 - *Groiners – Perform 10 reps. Hold last rep for 10 seconds…push knees out with your upper arms while dropping your butt down.
#8 – Static hip flexor stretch

–http://www.defrancostraining.com

Joe Black
08-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Thanks!

lil' power
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
about 3 weeks later, I've graduated to band box squats with even wider stance:
doubled mini's w/185#:

JhV36r5rNWI

0EG7i0dxpuA

theBarzeen
09-07-2009, 08:34 PM
the only thing that would worry me is how far back you push your hips at the start of the lift and through the descent.... it isn't a big deal when you squat to a box because when you sit back on the box you sit upright and the problem corrects itself before you come up with the weight. Without the box you might find yourself going forward with the weight, or having a problem getting your hips down enough to break parallel. You look really strong ( by how you handle the weight in your video) so you might be able to brute force the weight up with the lighter weights and wouldn't notice the form until you get near your max........ then again....... good form is relative to the lifter..... if it works for you, keep doing it........ you look like a strong squatter

NickAus
09-07-2009, 08:54 PM
To me it looked like your bar placement is too high, I think you would do even better with the bar down a little and off your neck.
Strong work!