PDA

View Full Version : Carbs: How much is too much?

spectralshadow
08-04-2009, 03:47 PM
I've been trying to look up an answer for this, at least partway, but I've gotten answers from every spectrum possible.

I've been getting about 200-250g of carbs per day for the past few weeks, with a day of 300+ every week or two. That's alongside 180+g of protein. I use to get 300-400g of carbs daily [keeping the same amount of protein], and the only difference I've seen is that I'm less full, and I've been more sleepy lately.

Normally, I'll eat carbs in all three major meals [breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which is always post-workout. I take Results/Nitrean an hour before workout, Opticen PWO, and Nitrean before bed alongside some carbs].

I'm skeptical about increasing carbs [since I'll have to eat maintenance or above for 300+g] because I don't want to lose the results I've been seeing, but I haven't been able to find that magic number for my body.

Anyone with any experience on this?

JSully
08-05-2009, 12:22 AM
You need to figure out how your body reacts to carbs.. Some people are insulin resistant and others have a better sensitivity level.

If I eat 300+g carbs/day I'll get fat as hell.. If I eat under 100g carbs/day my workouts suffer.. I suggest starting with 150g for a week and seeing how your body has reacted. Makeup the calories with fat if you're worried about dipping under maintenance cals. If you notice workouts have lost intensity and strength is decreasing, increase carbs by 50g and give it another week.. Keep doing this until you're having good gains again or until you're happy with your body composition..

Joe Black
08-05-2009, 12:47 AM
I agree with this so much. Do some experimentation and notice how your body is reacting.

I used to eat carbs with every meal and probably only totalled 200-300. Now, I literally eat probably about 150 on workout days and <50 on non workout days and my body is reacting SO much better. I found this keeps me feeling the best and whilst it is probably a bit low in regards to energy for my workouts I am cutting anyway, so it;s all good.

spectralshadow
08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I agree with this so much. Do some experimentation and notice how your body is reacting.

I used to eat carbs with every meal and probably only totalled 200-300. Now, I literally eat probably about 150 on workout days and <50 on non workout days and my body is reacting SO much better. I found this keeps me feeling the best and whilst it is probably a bit low in regards to energy for my workouts I am cutting anyway, so it;s all good.

That's the main reason I've been holding off on carbs [compared to my previous levels], was because I'm cutting.

I don't see myself getting that low, haha. I get about 50g just from lunch.

I did get my Novus bars in yesterday though, and I had one this morning. It kept me more full on less carbs than my previous breakfast did. Not to mention all the protein. :P

Joe Black
08-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Good stuff... Novus bars keep me nice and full for a few hours too!