PDA

View Full Version : Dead Lift Knee Trouble

murphyj1
08-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to lifting, but I train with Hazerboy, and he suggested I ask this question here.

I've been deadlifting pretty hard for my abilities lately, but have recently had pain in my knees from the exercise. Last week, I finished with 5x270, and had knee and outer thigh pain all weekend. Today, I had pain during my DL speedwork, and with my barbell rows. I've suffered from knee problems in the past from running, but I'm much more flexible now, and have not been running. I thought that maybe my shoes (running trainers) could be the problem. Also, I always forget to bring the bar close to my shins when I DL. Are either of these common culprits in knee pain during deadlifts? If anyone had any advice on my problem, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Pete22
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Outer thigh pain with knee pain sounds like it could be an IT band issue. I'd invest in a foam roller and focus on your IT bands, glutes and hamstrings.

Virtron
08-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to lifting, but I train with Hazerboy, and he suggested I ask this question here.

I've been deadlifting pretty hard for my abilities lately, but have recently had pain in my knees from the exercise. Last week, I finished with 5x270, and had knee and outer thigh pain all weekend. Today, I had pain during my DL speedwork, and with my barbell rows. I've suffered from knee problems in the past from running, but I'm much more flexible now, and have not been running. I thought that maybe my shoes (running trainers) could be the problem. Also, I always forget to bring the bar close to my shins when I DL. Are either of these common culprits in knee pain during deadlifts? If anyone had any advice on my problem, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

google IT band stretch.

bluelew
08-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I was having knee pain during DL and Squats and found that some serious stretching just prior and after a work out did wonders. I know it sounds stupid but really stretching the knees out did it for me.

JSully
08-05-2009, 10:58 PM
are you leaning forward when deadlifting or pulling back?

if you're leaning forward you could be putting stress on your knees.. or maybe you just need to bring your posterior up to speed with some SLDLs and GMs..

KarlMarx
08-06-2009, 08:34 AM

if you're leaning forward you could be putting stress on your knees.. or maybe you just need to bring your posterior up to speed with some SLDLs and GMs..

My thoughts too--he said he keeps the bar a bit out from his shins. This probably isn't causing your knee pain now, but it could well later. You load the front of the knee up like that over time...no good.

murphyj1
08-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm DLing heaving tomorrow, so I'll post how I felt after.

Hazerboy
08-11-2009, 07:06 PM

Yeah he leans. Some times he does it more than other times, sometimes not at all, but we've been working to correct this, every set. He's a real tall guy XD.

robchris
08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
murphy,
No one has mentioned this but, watch your desent w/ the bar... I used to hit my knees hard on the way down when doing reps and had the same pain.
Just something to consider...

murphyj1
08-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I lifted heavy yesterday, and by keeping very close attention to the bar placement and staying on my heels, I avoided knee pain and also set a PR! I've also been doing glute-ham raises once a week and using a foam roller on my off days, both of which I think help.