PDA

View Full Version : Am I eating too many carbs?

Girn26
08-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Here is my fitday log which is what ive been eating everyday for the past 2 weeks almost.. sometimes ill take something out and substitute it for something else, but thats if im on the go and buy fast food.. but anyways here it is http://www.fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Girn26 My question is, am I eating too many carbs? I am currently bulking but i heard too many carbs = fat.. is this true? Those darn bagels, and orange juice are the culprits but they are both so good. and my protein shakes havent been added in the log, so thats another 550 calories, and about 70g of carbs from dextrose i put in my shakes so im getting 500+ - carbs a day

Unreal
08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Too many calories=fat. How fast are you gaining and are you adding too much fat? If so cut back on calories.

Girn26
08-06-2009, 05:52 PM
believe it or not in 3 weeks time ive gained 11-13 pounds.. i myself cant believe it even tho im eating 3700+- calories a day so i shouldnt have gained that much.. im 5'10 161 with nothing in my system, when i first started out i was 149 pounds which was on july 20th.. but you think 500 carbs a day is okay?

BilltheButcher
08-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Depends on what you want. If you want a hard cut at the end then pound the calories. Up to 25 yrs old I could consume as much as I wanted and just threw muscle on, now that I am 35+ I have to watch everything I eat.

pablonba
08-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Easy with the acrbs man, i did the same, gained 20 pounds in a month, but then its hard to cut the fat. Id preffer a clean bulk. Id eat 300 carbs top.

RichMcGuire
08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Too many kcals = fat. Too many carbs can sabotage your efforts to lose body fat. So, ideally, when you do go to lose body fat, its best to limit the starchy ones. But on a bulk, youll need the carbs to create muscle tissue.

If you are worried about gaining too much body fat while you bulk, then limit your overall kcals so you gain weight slowly. As far as macros go, you can try a balanced approach like 40/40/20 protein/carbs/fat.

TysonFaulkner
08-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Maintaining a balance is the important part, there's lots of different ratios that you can go for, but just be sure on average you maintain a pretty good balance of carbs, protein and fat.

Girn26
08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
what is 40/40/20? like 2 protein, 2 carbs, 1 fat? and i dont know what to take out of my diet and what to substitute in.. i need help guys.. im taking way to many damn carbs each day, but i love to drink OJ and it gives me calories, and dextrose helps get nutrients quicker to my body and it also gives me calories.. what do i do!!!!! im gaining weight wayyyy to fast

LuNa
08-07-2009, 10:38 PM
what is 40/40/20? like 2 protein, 2 carbs, 1 fat? and i dont know what to take out of my diet and what to substitute in.. i need help guys.. im taking way to many damn carbs each day, but i love to drink OJ and it gives me calories, and dextrose helps get nutrients quicker to my body and it also gives me calories.. what do i do!!!!! im gaining weight wayyyy to fast

40/40/20 means that 40% of your calories will come from protein, 40% from carbs and 20% from fat. However, one should not forget that 1g of protein and carbs is 4 calories, while fat is 9 calories. If you want to cut carbs, remove the OJ and start drinking water. The funny thing is that you say you drink OJ because it gives you calories, but then complain that you are gaining weight too fast. You dont want more calories so start lowering your intake.

Edit: Also, you say that you have peanut butter and peanut butter sandwich. Do you put the peanut butter on something else or are you double counting? You could also remove the bagels seeing as they are really high in carbs. Instead you could have a protein shake or something.

Skalami
08-08-2009, 08:00 AM
ive read a lot that you only need a few hundred to 500 calories over maintenance to induce muscle growth anymore then that and its almost all fat you put on. A bulk is not an excuse to eat anything you want, ive read some people actually feel better on a cut more free with what they eat.

Yamar
08-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Carbs make up 39% of your diet? That's not to much at all. Carbs make up 50% of mine and I can't notice any fat gains(still getting a great deal of prot).

Unless your on a diet I wouldn't worry bout carbs being to high. If you are eating 20% over miantenance, getting 1-1.5 g/lb prot, .5 g/lb of fat, that doesn't leave 'much' room for excess carbs anyways. 40-50% is healthy.

Girn26
08-08-2009, 09:26 PM
40/40/20 means that 40% of your calories will come from protein, 40% from carbs and 20% from fat. However, one should not forget that 1g of protein and carbs is 4 calories, while fat is 9 calories. If you want to cut carbs, remove the OJ and start drinking water. The funny thing is that you say you drink OJ because it gives you calories, but then complain that you are gaining weight too fast. You dont want more calories so start lowering your intake.

Edit: Also, you say that you have peanut butter and peanut butter sandwich. Do you put the peanut butter on something else or are you double counting? You could also remove the bagels seeing as they are really high in carbs. Instead you could have a protein shake or something.

ya right now i have 40% cals from carbs, 38% from fat, 24% from protein.. i dont know what to add or remove.. you guys are saying i should have 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat.. so mine is messed up right now.. if i remove orange juice then ill be getting 400 less cals which will be under what i want.. dunno what to do

LuNa
08-08-2009, 09:48 PM
ya right now i have 40% cals from carbs, 38% from fat, 24% from protein.. i dont know what to add or remove.. you guys are saying i should have 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat.. so mine is messed up right now.. if i remove orange juice then ill be getting 400 less cals which will be under what i want.. dunno what to do

I think what many people have tried to explain is that you are not eating too many carbs, you are eating too many cals. You should focus more on lowering your calories than deciding what to remove. The big surplus of calories is making you gain weight. Make the surplus smaller and you are gaining less weight, it is really simple. You could lower your fat intake or lower your carbs, whatever you feel most comfortable with. Or, increase your cardio and overall movement and you burn the excess calories you are taking in. There are many ways to achieve what you want, you just have to pick one.

Girn26
08-08-2009, 10:15 PM
i dont think im eating too many calories because for my age and weight i read that 4000+ is the max i should be taking in, and im getting 3600.. and i dont want to drink too many protein shakes cuz its expensive, right now i take 2 and ahalf scoops a day

LuNa
08-09-2009, 01:02 AM
i dont think im eating too many calories because for my age and weight i read that 4000+ is the max i should be taking in, and im getting 3600.. and i dont want to drink too many protein shakes cuz its expensive, right now i take 2 and ahalf scoops a day

I will just quickly summarize it again for you. You said you are gaining too much weight too quickly. Weight gain is directly related to your intake. So if your gaining weight is too big, your intake is too big. Nothing more, nothing less. Even if you would eat a 1000 grams of carbs you could still not gain weight, if you are at maintenance or below it. Face it, you are eating too much and need to cut back. Otherwise, enjoy your weight gain.

You dont have to drink any protein shakes, you could just aswell get your protein intake from real food. I really dont see why you would state the fact about increasing your protein.

RichMcGuire
08-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Where did you get that figure from? How many kcals you need is related to your metabolism and energy expense. There is no perfect formula. Also, many people count kcals wrong. So you might be getting more than what you think.

You dont think youre getting too many kcals yet you are gaining weight. How do you explain that? Energy surplus over maintenance = weight gain - be it LBM or body fat.

I should also note that I buy my protein for 12 bucks a tub. Its not always that expensive.

Girn26
08-09-2009, 06:29 PM
where do you get it so cheap?

RichMcGuire
08-13-2009, 10:31 PM
where do you get it so cheap?

Meijer or Walmart.

Skalami
08-15-2009, 10:43 AM
i wouldnt buy that cheap wal mart stuff, a lot of is whey protein sourced from China. they add in this stuff (i forget what its called) that registers as protein but has little to no biological use in muscle building.

crystalr0w3
08-19-2009, 12:12 AM
If you are getting more carbs, you can just burn it through exercise or use it instead in a worthwhile activity that can make you do some action that burns the fat like doing household chores. It's multi-tasking. You are doing the chores while burning those fats. It's far more better than doing an exercise.

WBBIRL
08-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Your eating way too many carbs, and not enough protein. Plus your flat out over eating.

You need to drop 1000 calories off the bat, reduce carbs by 50% or more and double the protein. Thats a good start.

@crystalr0w3

Certain people are sensitive to the effects carbohydrates have on the body... this many to a person who experiences that to even a small degree can lead to problems for someone wanting ot change their physique.

House hold chores are no substitute for weight training. Pushing a vacuum across a floor probably doesn't burn the energy that one set of squats do. Plus it isn't as fun

crazzycat
08-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Yes carbs always influe on weight

RichMcGuire
08-22-2009, 12:46 AM
i wouldnt buy that cheap wal mart stuff, a lot of is whey protein sourced from China. they add in this stuff (i forget what its called) that registers as protein but has little to no biological use in muscle building.

I don't think Body Fortress comes from China ;)

Skalami
08-23-2009, 08:22 PM
their protein source does

earthbuddy1
08-24-2009, 02:28 PM
The BF stuff from walmart tends to make my stomach hurt. I stopped taking it and just take the EAS whey I get at Sams.

cavman
08-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Same here. $30 for a 6lb bag. 23 grams protein per scoop, 4 grams carbs, 120 cals.