PDA

View Full Version : Mass Gaining (Bulk): Minimum Time For Effectiveness?

Irish Pilot
08-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Slowly getting back into a serious lifting schedule after the birth of my first and need some insight. Ive cut all the way down to about 12%bf (down from 25% over many months), and have absolute HELL of a time getting it lower. Ive tried (what feels like) everything...different routines, different diets, LISS, HIIT, carb cycling, back to maint for two weeks, deloading, etc.. I have a weight barrier that I simply cannot break it seems.

Anyway, I had a friend suggest the other day that (after such a long time cutting fat) I should REALLY switch things up and go into surplus for at least a few months. His logic (which seems sound) is that since Im only 160lbs, a couple months of having my metabolism at surplus and adding some mass would set me up for a more successful cut next time. Seems logical. Ive really never truly "bulked"...only correctly focused on getting lean over the past 8 months or so

Im reluctant...12% is really the highest bf% I want to ever be, so it goes against my "plan" to add mass starting at 12%.

*How long does a mass gaining "phase" need to last to really be effective when planning to cut afterward? (minimum length of time I should plan to stay at surplus?)
*Does this seem like an appropriate option?
*Any other suggestions?

Ill be honest, its frustrating seeing guys' threads with incredible transformations into ab lean-ness and not be able to get there myself. Even guys in my weight range (160lbs) look great lean though they lack incredible mass.

I lift for enjoyment, and for aesthetics. My day isnt complete without some time under the bar, and Ive always wanted the large, lean look. Do I need to put looks aside for awhile and focus on adding mass?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

platypus
08-09-2009, 01:30 AM
it seems like you know what you are doing if you had a successful cut, but make sure you're counting your calories and finding yourself in a deficit. if you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. that's all there is to it. but in some cases, people do need to jumpstart their metabolism, so that could end up being a good option for you. other people will be able to provide you with better advice, but i'd just like to make sure you're counting your calories down to the gram.

Irish Pilot
08-09-2009, 07:27 AM
it seems like you know what you are doing if you had a successful cut, but make sure you're counting your calories and finding yourself in a deficit. if you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. that's all there is to it. but in some cases, people do need to jumpstart their metabolism, so that could end up being a good option for you. other people will be able to provide you with better advice, but i'd just like to make sure you're counting your calories down to the gram.

Yeah Ive got a pretty good grasp of the calorie situation ;) Been doing the fitday thing for over a year now. I actually even have a digital scale that I measure everything...chicken, almonds, you name it.