PDA

View Full Version : Old farts don't look so old in this sport

BFGUITAR
08-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Lifting with old people means I get to meet many old people in general. Lifters from back in the olden days would come and visit and talk to the "younger" guys (who are in their mid 50s). One guy who lifts with us just turned 65 this week and still squats over 400lbs easy. The man doesn't look a day older than 55. Another man I met had knee surgery recently but has been in the lifting game since he was 12. He is now 67 and looks 50. The guy is still 230lbs strong. He says he probably wont be squatting much anymore but still will be benching. Another man is 71 years old and still going at it. I don't know his numbers but he did mention he could leg press 1600lbs. That's good at any age!
I asked if he competes and he says he doesn't. I told him he should walk up to his first attempt squat very slowly with a walker and than proceed to bury the weight. He got a good chuckle out of it lol.

What a ridiculous sport this is. I would love to be in such shape at their age.

MShuff
08-10-2009, 12:07 PM
"Do not go gentle into that good night
Old age should burn and rave at close of day
Rage, rage against the dying of the light" Dylan Thomas

I am one of those old farts (61) who still have that desire to improve. I live and breathe weightlifting, especially the bench press. Not a great lifter, but hold my own. I wish more older folks were involved, as it is a sure way to improve your quality of life. I enjoy this forum and the helpful info it contains. Mel Shuffett Greensburg KY

vdizenzo
08-10-2009, 12:27 PM
"Do not go gentle into that good night
Old age should burn and rave at close of day
Rage, rage against the dying of the light" Dylan Thomas

I am one of those old farts (61) who still have that desire to improve. I live and breathe weightlifting, especially the bench press. Not a great lifter, but hold my own. I wish more older folks were involved, as it is a sure way to improve your quality of life. I enjoy this forum and the helpful info it contains. Mel Shuffett Greensburg KY

You are an inspiration. I am 40 and plan on lifting into my 60's and beyond. I love talking with those that came before me. Keep lifting strong!

MShuff
08-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Vinnie D.
I read your posts and replies. I also saw the video of your raw bench press. Very impressive. Mel S.

Ryano
08-10-2009, 01:01 PM
It seems that most of the meets anymore have at least half the lifters are in Master divisions. Especially the bench only meets. A couple of years ago there were about 20 lifters at WABDL Worlds over 70. I'll be 54 next month and I'm still making gains. Alot of it has to do with improvements in equipment and technique, but what the hell, they are still gains to me.

Justin Ryan
08-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I worked with a guy who was in his mid 70's. He looked younger than my parents ( mid 50's) and was really well built. Had a cut 6 pack, huge lats. Crazy, he said he swam a few miles and lifted for 2 hours every morning....