PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to bulk and burn fat at the same time?

rambusanna
08-10-2009, 06:44 AM
I am going to do the WBB Original routine and going to be consuming nearly 180g of protein. The days I'm not working out, I want to swim. Can't I do swimming as my cardio? I don't want to bulk to where I get "fat" and then have the problem of not burning it off. I want to slowly get bigger as I burn the fat off. Can I do this?

Jayfive
08-10-2009, 07:18 AM
I am going to do the WBB Original routine and going to be consuming nearly 180g of protein. The days I'm not working out, I want to swim. Can't I do swimming as my cardio? I don't want to bulk to where I get "fat" and then have the problem of not burning it off. I want to slowly get bigger as I burn the fat off. Can I do this?

Yes but it's difficult. It's basically a recomp. You'll have to have an excellent diet laid out as well (I'd suggest carb cycling).

rambusanna
08-10-2009, 07:29 AM
What's a recomp? Where can I go to calculate my calories and carbs?

geordie1986
08-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Where can I go to calculate my calories and carbs?

check out www.fitday.com alot of people on here use that to track their diet.

Jayfive
08-10-2009, 08:08 AM
What's a recomp? Where can I go to calculate my calories and carbs?

A recomp is a body recomposition. Instead of trying to bulk or cut, you slowly do both at the same time. You'll need to do some research on carb cycling if that's what you want to do but basically it focuses on nutrient timing. You can calculate your macros by going with pro-1-1.5g/lb and the rest is dependant on timing and cycling.

morristown
08-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Yes but it's difficult. It's basically a recomp. You'll have to have an excellent diet laid out as well (I'd suggest carb cycling).

This is what i am attempting to do as well. Any suggestions in addition to Carb cycling, to aid in achieving this?

I am currently doing 4 days of lifting per week, with 3 our of 4 sets of everything I do failure sets meaning the weight is high enough that I can only do between 4 and 7 reps and I need considerable help to finish the last rep or 2 or each of those sets. Also doing a 20 to 30 minute walk every morning now, a 10 minute warm up on treadmill before lifting, and 2 days of hour long treadmill at about 3.5mph on a 3 to 5% incline, depending on where my hart rate is. Trying to keep the hart rate below 120 for this. Also at the end of those I usually do three 2 minute long sprints at 7.5mph and 6% incline.

did not mean to hijack the thread, but since on the same topic asked here.

thanks,

Jim

platypus
08-10-2009, 01:57 PM
the reason it's difficult is because the calories you're burning to get rid of fat are what is needed to build muscle. so what ends up happening is you build muscle more slowly. how slowly depends on your diet, how heavy you're lifting, and rest, just like anything else.

morristown
08-10-2009, 02:24 PM
the reason it's difficult is because the calories you're burning to get rid of fat are what is needed to build muscle. so what ends up happening is you build muscle more slowly. how slowly depends on your diet, how heavy you're lifting, and rest, just like anything else.

So are you suggesting that if trying to reconstitute so to speak, you Lift Very Hard on lift days, Gets lots of Rest at night, and ???

platypus
08-10-2009, 04:41 PM
So are you suggesting that if trying to reconstitute so to speak, you Lift Very Hard on lift days, Gets lots of Rest at night, and ???

that's what you do whether you're on a bulk, a cut, a recomp, anything. lift heavy and get your rest. the diet is what determines whether you are on a bulk, cut, or recomp, nothing else.

if you decide to go on a recomp, your goal is to lift heavy, get your rest, and eat as lean a diet as possible while maintaining your target protein.

Sean S
08-10-2009, 07:03 PM
It's really tough to do any significant recomp after you are beyond the beginner stage. I tried to do this for years with very little to show for it and stayed between 210-220 lbs. I then decided to get into powerlifting a few years ago and now I'm up to 290-295 lbs., but definitely not as lean as before. If I were to diet down to my previous bodyfat levels, I would likely be at least 250.
The lesson being that an extended period of "bulking" has allowed me to build much more lean body mass than I would have otherwise. Also remember that it's much tougher to build 20 lbs of muscle than it is to lose 20 lbs of fat. My advice would be to bulk for a while and not be afraid to gain some fat. Then try to diet off the fat very slowly and retain as much of the lean mass as possible.

Invain
08-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Both times I cut in the past I actually gained a little muscle and strength when I was done.

I've been cutting for about 3 months now this summer and my weight is definitely higher than I thought it'd be for how much fat I've lost. I haven't lost any strength at all either, and have gained a little on some things.

I credit my progress from my first couple cuts to simply being a semi-beginner. This time I've been carb cycling.

Jayfive
08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
A recomp via carb cycling is slow for a reason. It works, but slowly. Instead of altering your body composition via calorie surplus or deficit, you're instead using nutrient timing to manipulate hormone/insulin levels in a slight way and use that to a) fuel your muscles, b) replenish your muscles, and c) not have carbs providing energy when not needed (when inactive). There's a lot more to it than that but that's the basic idea.

Mercuryblade
08-11-2009, 12:41 PM
A recomp via carb cycling is slow for a reason. It works, but slowly. Instead of altering your body composition via calorie surplus or deficit, you're instead using nutrient timing to manipulate hormone/insulin levels in a slight way and use that to a) fuel your muscles, b) replenish your muscles, and c) not have carbs providing energy when not needed (when inactive). There's a lot more to it than that but that's the basic idea.

Well put.

morristown
08-11-2009, 11:10 PM
what if you use carb cycling along with 3 or 4 hundred calorie deficite per day.

Invain
08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
You still cut cals while carb cycling, although you won't be eating a caloric defecit on refeed days.

RichMcGuire
08-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Both times I cut in the past I actually gained a little muscle and strength when I was done.

I've been cutting for about 3 months now this summer and my weight is definitely higher than I thought it'd be for how much fat I've lost. I haven't lost any strength at all either, and have gained a little on some things.

I credit my progress from my first couple cuts to simply being a semi-beginner. This time I've been carb cycling.

I experienced the same thing. I was slightly bigger and stronger even though my weight went down from losing body fat. And some of my lifts actually increased as well. I tend to see fast results with the bulk/cut method and that keeps me going for motivation.