PDA

View Full Version : any homemade prowlers?

LoneJeeper
08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I was thinking about loading the wheelborrow up, but it's probably not ready for the abuse. Have you seen any good plans?

Travis Bell
08-10-2009, 03:13 PM
wheelbarrow wouldn't be the same because it doesn't have the bars to allow you to get down low, like the prowler does. Plus the wheel on it would make it very easy no matter what the weight. Most you'd get out of that is some bigger traps.

I have two that I had custom made for me by a fabricator and the metal cost about $100 total. I had the specs for one though so that made it a lot easier for the fabricator, but mine look exactly alike the Prowler2 that Elite sells.

Best bet is a fabricator though

shawno
08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
There's a guy selling a homemade prowler on ebay - search "PUSHING SLED" and you'll see what I mean. I bought his small sled from him awhile ago & it is very durable.
Wheelbarrow definitely not equivalent motion to a prowler.

Clone
09-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I made this myself a couple years ago.

Had the wood laying around from another project. I didn't want to destroy my yard, so I made it to use in my driveway and used plastic (like cutting board material) for the feet to keep the noise down.

I took the pic before I cut down the handle, thats why its so tall.

I'm not a huge guy, so the wood seems to be holding up. I also put an eyelet on the front for pulling.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/BCR_02/sled005.jpg

Ben Moore
09-09-2009, 10:32 PM
That's a hell of an idea man! Nice job

Clone
09-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Another pic before I put the slider feet on.

The push handle slides into metal sleeves in the wood to prevent splitting.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/BCR_02/sled003.jpg

Clone
09-09-2009, 10:36 PM
That's a hell of an idea man! Nice job

Believe it or not, this thing was once a calf machine I built out of wood! No joke.

Thats why there are extra holes in it.

I had the wood and all the bolts, so it just cost me about $20 for pipe and the feet, which I made spares of as well.

Clone
09-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I was thinking about loading the wheelborrow up, but it's probably not ready for the abuse. Have you seen any good plans?

I've seen quite a few guys from Rosstraining use just the bucket part of a wheelbarrow.

Like take it off the frame and you can push it backwards from the front. Not sure how well it works on pavement. You can also pull it.

Plus its easy to change the weight. Just toss stuff in or take it out. :)

KarlMarx
09-10-2009, 06:28 AM
I've seen quite a few guys from Rosstraining use just the bucket part of a wheelbarrow.

Like take it off the frame and you can push it backwards from the front. Not sure how well it works on pavement. You can also pull it.

Plus its easy to change the weight. Just toss stuff in or take it out. :)

Nice work on your own prowler man! I also like the wheelbarrow idea as a cheap sled. I have just pushed my car when I wanted prowler type work...

powerpeppiness
09-15-2009, 12:02 AM
What size pipe did you use for the embedded one and the one that slips in

Clone
09-15-2009, 12:46 AM
The handle pipe is 1" galvanized steel pipe. 1" is the inside diameter, and its a bit over 1 1/4" outer diameter. But its called 1" steel pipe.

The sleeves it slides into is questionable. I actually had it lying around in my garage from ages ago. It measures 1 1/2" outer diameter and isn't very thick.

Wish I could be more specific.

If you go this route you might have to test fit pipe at the hardware store.

I just got lucky and already had the perfect size pipe for the sleeves.

Also keep in mind its hard to find drill bits over 1 1/2". Thats why I didn't go over the sizes I used. Hole saws go larger, but are a huge pain to use on the type of wood I used.

WhateverItTakes
09-15-2009, 06:28 PM
wheelbarrow wouldn't be the same because it doesn't have the bars to allow you to get down low, like the prowler does. Plus the wheel on it would make it very easy no matter what the weight. Most you'd get out of that is some bigger traps.

I have two that I had custom made for me by a fabricator and the metal cost about $100 total. I had the specs for one though so that made it a lot easier for the fabricator, but mine look exactly alike the Prowler2 that Elite sells.

Best bet is a fabricator though

Could you post the dimensions for the prowler you had made? Thanks in advance for the help!

Travis Bell
09-15-2009, 07:00 PM
I no longer have them as they were of no use to me once I had my other two made.

All I did was take the Prowler2 I already had and had the fabricator take measurements. Pretty simple, but I didn't feel bad about it because I'd already bought one legit.

Even if I did have them, for me to start posting around the specs wouldn't be too cool for Elite. I like them and what they do for the strength community so I do what I can to support them.

Kuz
09-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Another pic before I put the slider feet on.

The push handle slides into metal sleeves in the wood to prevent splitting.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/BCR_02/sled003.jpg

My God that thing looks fantastic - it looks like it would take a real pounding.

I do not have a Prowler (yet... give me time) so I just do pushes and pulls with my SUV in a parking lot. While the wheels certainly make it a much different feel than you would get with a Prowler, I still get a hell of a training session.

For the pulling portion, I have some Blast Straps that I hook onto the trailer hitch and voila! Plus you get the fun of people at least once a session stopping to ask if you need a jump for your car.

METAL VIPER
11-12-2009, 05:21 PM
There's a guy selling a homemade prowler on ebay - search "PUSHING SLED" and you'll see what I mean. I bought his small sled from him awhile ago & it is very durable.

Damn that thing is pretty nice for only $150 plus free shipping. Might need to pick one up

Andre518
11-16-2009, 12:12 PM

Are these the ones you were talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DRAGGING-PUSHING-SLED-POWERLIFTING-STRONGMAN_W0QQitemZ190349924458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c51bd586a

LoneJeeper
11-17-2009, 06:41 PM
I had planned on removing the wheel from the wheelborrow, it puts the handles about 5" off the ground.... but i see now that it would have been an absolute failure.

It sucks that there's no one around my area that has similar interests, i've never seen or tried a prowler in person.