PDA

View Full Version : I need some help from you pros on this site...

Ehhhh
08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey guys,

I moved home about a year ago and immediately got a gym membership. Since then I've gained 17 pounds so far, I currently weigh 157 pounds and am looking to go up to 170 if it is at all possible. I've done this by eating plenty more than I used to, I take Whey Protein (the good stuff) and creatine. I am 5'6.5" tall, and I'm curious if 170 pounds will feel like too much to carry around, that is if I ever get there. If any of you have any advice on how I can gain weight quickly and safely that would be great. I am benching 165 pounds, dead lifting 230 pounds, and squatting 245 pounds (yes I realize that is not impressive.) I have made steady increases so far and I am using the starting strength exercise plan. Once again, any advice would be killer. Questions and constructive criticism are always appreciated.

Travis Bell
08-10-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're asking?

Just if 170lbs would feel like too much to carry around?

I'm 5'9" and 265lbs and I'm not exactly an Olympic sprinter, but I'm in halfway decent shape.

That said, it's more about training hard and eating correctly. Someone can just slam on the weight and not have trained properly and end up looking like a slob

Ehhhh
08-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Well I weigh more right now than I ever have in my life, and I do notice the extra weight, so I guess it's just that this is pretty new to me to weigh this much. I think I am going to set my goal at 170 pounds and see what happens. I am eating well, and eating a lot, doing SS, I'm thinking I just need to continue what I'm doing until I hit the next level. Thanks for re-assuring me.

vdizenzo
08-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm 5'8" 320. Yes, basically twice your size. Yes, this is too much to carry. Is 170, that's up to you. I can tell you this, once you hit a weight and go down a little the next time you hit that weight it won't be as bad. I used to feel like death at 308. Now that I have been in the 320's I feel like a bikini model at 308.

The best advice I can give is to eat a lot of clean food, train consistenly, and make sure to add conditioning to your routine.

sayagain
08-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Not a pro, but a fairly large guy. Vin hit the nail on the head. I'm 6'1" and 280 lbs. I never thought I could be comfortable weighing this much, but now I feel skinny when I get down to 260. You get used to the weight.

Rob Luyando
08-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Vincent I was going to try to make travis looks small being 508 290 then you had to chime in thanks.

vdizenzo
08-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Vincent I was going to try to make travis looks small being 508 290 then you had to chime in thanks.

What are friends for. I get aroused thinking about getting down to 285. It's my goal by 2010.

KarstenDD
08-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm 6'4, 340.5 after training today. I rule.

vdizenzo
08-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm 6'4, 340.5 after training today. I rule.

At 6'4" you should be at least 385. I feel sorry for you.

Travis Bell
08-10-2009, 08:53 PM

LOL no worries Rob, you still make me look tiny

290??? That's awesome Rob that's the heaviest you've been isn't it?

Hazerboy
08-10-2009, 09:02 PM
What are friends for. I get aroused thinking about getting down to 285. It's my goal by 2010.

Vincent you'd be jacked at 285 haha

mikesbench
08-10-2009, 09:07 PM
170 should be no big deal. Just take it slow, eat clean but a lot, and train hard. The majority of what you gain will be muscle, and as long as you're not gaining real quick you'll get more comfortable. I guess a big question would be , "what are your goals" overall? Any sports? Gaining size and strength?

Detard
08-11-2009, 07:41 AM
I was where you are right now and once I hit 170, I wanted more, now i'm at 210, and I want 225. Once you start seeing the strength gains while bulking, you'll never want to be skinny again

theBarzeen
08-11-2009, 09:21 AM
just keep lifting heavy and eating lots of clean foods.... senior year of high school I was 6'4" and 165 and worried that I might get a little fat trying to get over 200 drug free, I couldn't bench a plate or squat my own body-weight

now ( 2 years out of college) I just competed at a svelte 300# at around 20% bodyfat ( still drug free.... not a hater, but as a teacher I just don't have that option)..... just keep working, you'll get there

sobrinoc
08-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Well bro, if you're a hardgainer, bless your heart cause you're going to have to eat like a mad man to actually get fat. I know Rippetoe recomends drinking a gallon of whole milk a day to help get to 5k calories a day. The truth is if you're a hardgainer you can basically eat whatever the hell you want clean or junk because the end is excess calories and enough protein. Stay away from Trans fats and hydrolized oils cause they just **** up your heart skinny or fat. Clean food can make you as fat as any other. If you maintain consistency on Starting Strength and don't fall into the modification (program labotomy) obsession, you will do fine.

Ehhhh
08-11-2009, 03:02 PM
thanks guys, I will take all of your advice and put it towards fulfilling my goals. 170 is what I can only assume to be a good weight for me, it's great to hear that you get used to it after a while. But like one of you said you get addicted to wanting more mass once you get to where you want to be initially, and I bet that will happen to me. I am eating clean and eating a lot. Is 17 pounds gained in a year an average amount, or is it under par? My goals are to weigh 170 pounds, with a relatively low body fat percentage. I don't want to look all ripped (not hatin on those who do,) I am only interested in becoming as strong as I possibly can, and I'm doing this for me, not a sport, and not for women, just for me.

KarstenDD
08-11-2009, 05:17 PM
At 6'4" you should be at least 385. I feel sorry for you.

I know. I'm sorry. But what would Brian Siders say about you?

Clifford Gillmore
08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
thanks guys, I will take all of your advice and put it towards fulfilling my goals. 170 is what I can only assume to be a good weight for me, it's great to hear that you get used to it after a while. But like one of you said you get addicted to wanting more mass once you get to where you want to be initially, and I bet that will happen to me. I am eating clean and eating a lot. Is 17 pounds gained in a year an average amount, or is it under par? My goals are to weigh 170 pounds, with a relatively low body fat percentage. I don't want to look all ripped (not hatin on those who do,) I am only interested in becoming as strong as I possibly can, and I'm doing this for me, not a sport, and not for women, just for me.

I think you should be able to put on an lbs per week, so 52lbs a year should be reasonable! I think I've put on 20lbs in the last 3 months, so you can try a little harder :)

Rob Luyando
08-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Goal is to get to a solid 300 then cut to 275 and set up a head to head with Ryan for my last meet

SELK
08-11-2009, 05:45 PM
i'm 5'9 240lbs and I feel much better when I am around 220lbs. Everyone is different.

Rob Luyando
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
i'm 5'9 240lbs and I feel much better when I am around 220lbs. Everyone is different.

Your tiny! LOL!

LuNa
08-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Your tiny! LOL!

I am feeling really silly being 6'1, 240lbs and cutting :clown:

SEOINAGE
08-12-2009, 12:01 PM
When I first broke 200 I felt like crap but after 4 months and only rising to 207 I have really gotten used to it and I'm ready to get in the 220s, you body will adapt and if you are doing working it it will catch up and the weight won't be bad at all, I actually feel light some days even though I certainly don't look it. 5' 8" tall.

Tim K
08-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty close to you in height... I stand exactly 5' 6" and weighed in at a whopping 174 lbs this morning. I don't consider myself heavy for my height. On a 5' 6" frame, 170 lbs is nothing. Heck, even 225 lbs wouldn't be that big of a deal - although you would either look jacked or like a pig. In my youth, it was tough for me to put on weight. My advice to you is to eat - anything, everything, all the time. I'm not a big advocate of eating dirty, but if you have trouble with gaining weight, then dirty it is. Mix ice cream in with your protein shake. Eat a large pizza twice a day by yourself. Just eat... I doubt you have any worries about getting fat until you are well past your 30's.

Even at my heaviest, 194 lbs, I didn't feel bad at all... well, right up until I got bucked off by a horse with saddle fitting issues. That little episode tore up my shoulder pretty good. After convalescing for a few months, I did feel like crap at 190+ lbs. Hence the drop in weight and the rebuilding process.