PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with fast food

backdraft005
08-10-2009, 07:01 PM
So I am curious if anyone has ever broken-down fast food menus trying to find the item with the most protein with the least amount of fat and carbs (as possible). Obviously, they will always have a lot of fats and carbs, so don't repeat that back to me in a reply:tuttut:. I am curious what is 'better' (used loosely) for you for protein. By the way, I rarely eat fast food (like once every 2 months maybe), I just want to know as it is always good to know something like that.

Justin Ryan
08-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I've found that some subway subs aren't all that bad for you.

heres the nutrition of the subs I usually go with

for a 6"
roast beef on wheat bread: 310 cal, 4.5g fat, 46g carb, 26g protein
or
subway club on wheat bread: 320 cal, 5g fat, 47g carb, 26g protein
or
sweet onion chicken teriyaki: 380 cal, 4.5g fat, 60g carb, 26g protein

They also have quite a bit of sodium so I try not to eat them too often.

but they're much better than a big mac

Also

zaxbys 10pc chicken fingers:
850cal
40g fat
17g carb
101g protein
2,656mg sodium

^crapload of protein, but also a crapload of fat and sodium. but I love those and can eat about 20pc's in one sitting.. yum... and thats pretty much all my protein for the day :thumbup:

BigCorey75
08-10-2009, 09:26 PM
if you can find a place that cooks their burgers fresh and use 100% beef those work well

a freind of mine who was trying to gain weight and worked out with me, we used to go to whataburger after each workout, had him order a double meat whataburger with cheese on wheat bun, no fries and a cup of water. Fresh meats, good fats, some veggies if u like to call them that...lol, and good carbs and some sodium, worked well for him.

after about 3 good months of heavy squatting and deadlifting and whataburger post workout, he gained about 20 pounds, most of it being muscle, he could still see his abs, went from 190 to 210-215ish depending on water intake.

That plus also I had him increase his intake of real food, nearly half of his diet was protein shakes

ThomasG
08-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Wendy's large chili is the shiz.

anelka
08-11-2009, 04:37 AM
Don't touch anything with bread, fries, cheese or sauce. You can get fried chicken or fish but pick off the batter. Some takeaways let you buy donner meat on its own.

malkore
08-11-2009, 09:04 AM
damn near every place has their nutrition facts available if you ask at the counter.

i know as subway the best protein sub is the big philly cheesesteak. the fat is lower than several others, and its got the most protein.

jp2
08-11-2009, 09:22 AM
you can go to the fast food restaurant's site and they will most likely have the nutrition available. I actually have about 12 different nutrition.pdf files from various places saved on my computer. Comes in handy for when I'm at work and didn't make my lunch.

couple examples:

http://www.arbys.com/nutrition/temp_nutrition_info.pdf

http://www.elpolloloco.com/nutritional/nutritionguide.pdf

Lones Green
08-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Qdoba FTW!

Skelator03
08-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey OP check out a book called the Calorie King has a ridiculous amount of nurtirtional info for groceries and also crap loads of fast food restraunts. Cost is like 12 bucks or something and tells calories fat and carbs. I use that from time to time and it was great when i was really restricting my diet. But to answer your question I like wendys grilled chicken without the bread a caesar salad with some the vinegarette and a small chilli cant beat it for 7.99 when your in a rush.

http://www.amazon.com/CalorieKing-Calorie-Carbohydrate-Counter-larger-print/dp/193044818X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250009696&sr=8-1

There the link for it only 10 bucks well worth keeping in your car

Justin R
08-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I eat an egg mcmuffin most mornings for breakfast. definitely not clean eating, but the rest of my day make up for the crappy macros.

Taco Bell is pretty good if you order the right stuff. I usually get a chicken burrito supreme with double chicken, fresco style(replaces cheese/sour cream/lettuce/tomato with a salsa mix), I also rip the huge amount of extra tortilla off the ends that is all folded up. I would guess they are probably around 450 calories, 40g protein, 40g carbs, 12g fat, give or take a few g here or there.

if you have Pollo Tropical or Tropigrill in your area, you can get a half a chicken and 2 sides(i get balsamic tomatoes or salad for sides usually) I rip the skin off sometimes depending on my fat intake for the day. KFC had grilled chicken now as well, but its pretty horrible.

backdraft005
08-12-2009, 08:55 PM
I find that doing a protein to fat ratio is good. anything less than 2 to 1, and your wasting your time.

I found that the grilled chicken wrap at McDonald's is good, being 2 to 1 exactly. there is about 36 protein in those two wraps for only a buck fifty and if had them in the past before.

whats the best burger to have? cause i dont think any of them will be that great, especially due to transfats.

Justin Ryan
08-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't know of any burgers that aren't equal protein and fat, or more fat then protein.

The grilled chicken wraps are pretty good.

The subway philly cheesesteak has only 18g fat and 39g protein.. for a 6 inch...not too bad.
I'd still rather go with one that has 26g protein and 4.5g fat

Taco bell Supreme chicken burrito: 390cal, 12g fat, 20g protein

Clifford Gillmore
08-12-2009, 10:23 PM
I live out of the McDonalds drive through for weeks at a time, from time to time.... I'm still big, I'm still lean. Its complicated stuff.