PDA

View Full Version : Squats - Any advice or tips?

Detard
08-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, I finally got some heavy squats on video, so i'm wondering if you could give me some tips. My biggest problem is the pressure, and walking the weight out. Out of a monolift I think i'm good for 500+ full gear.

If you guys could give me some tips or advice on my squats. I know these are box squats, so they are different mechanics than a free squat, but do you see anything seriously wrong with my form?

Squats from today - 405x3, 455x1, 475x1

vOYa4GiYg_0

Oh and btw, this was a 12lb PR for me, and it was straps down with loose wraps, so i'm very happy

Travis Bell
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I'd get rid of that mirror in front of you. It'll make it much more difficult at meets because you're not used to squatting with that in front of you.

It'll help if you push those knees out more

You're sittin back just about right, but you're leaning forward a tad too much, so keep up the hip and upper back work.

SELK
08-11-2009, 04:12 PM
I would change a couple of things
- if you are doing box squats, actually sit on the box and deload you hips. How you are doing them is fine for checking depth, but its not really going to help you as much as a regular box squat.
- lower the box a couple of inches, the weights you use will be slightly less but you will be more confident in the hole and overall get stronger.

One of the reasons box squats work so well is that you can use a lot less weight and still get a good training effect. Before my last meet my heaviest squat was 660lbs to a box (suit on, straps down, no wraps). I squatted 838lbs that meet. It was great because every rep in training was to depth and I got confident in the hole.

MarcusWild
08-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Overall, your squats look pretty good. Getting your elbows down more will help with the forward lean. Only Panora can squat with his elbows pointing straight back. Try to walk it out without looking down too. Looking down messes up your setup and hunches you over.

sobrinoc
08-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey OP, question, where is that power rack from?

Detard
08-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I'd get rid of that mirror in front of you. It'll make it much more difficult at meets because you're not used to squatting with that in front of you.

It'll help if you push those knees out more

You're sittin back just about right, but you're leaning forward a tad too much, so keep up the hip and upper back work.

Thanks alot Travis. Usually when i'm about 5 or 6 weeks out from a meet I cover up the mirror, but your definitly right, I should have it covered all the time.

Thanks for the other advice too, i'll write it down in my book and next squat session i'll refer to the notes and work on the forward lean and knees out.

When you say knees out, do you mean on the way up only? Or do you mean on the way down, push them out hard too?

- if you are doing box squats, actually sit on the box and deload you hips. How you are doing them is fine for checking depth, but its not really going to help you as much as a regular box squat.
- lower the box a couple of inches, the weights you use will be slightly less but you will be more confident in the hole and overall get stronger.

One of the reasons box squats work so well is that you can use a lot less weight and still get a good training effect. Before my last meet my heaviest squat was 660lbs to a box (suit on, straps down, no wraps). I squatted 838lbs that meet. It was great because every rep in training was to depth and I got confident in the hole.

Hey man thanks for the tips. In the previous 4 weeks, i've actually been sitting right on the box and deloading the hips, but the box I was squatting to was too high so it wasn't making much of an impact.

As for the lower box thing, that makes alot of sense. Being confident in the hole can make a big difference. Do you suggest doing that geared or raw or both?

Good to know you've had good results with box squats

Overall, your squats look pretty good. Getting your elbows down more will help with the forward lean. Only Panora can squat with his elbows pointing straight back. Try to walk it out without looking down too. Looking down messes up your setup and hunches you over.

Thanks Marcus. I have been trying to get my elbows down more and more each session, but I always feel like the bar is going to slide off my back, so i'm trying to build up my rear delts and traps to build a better "shelf". Does that make sense?

I'll try to stay facing forward during the setup too, but with my rack, my squat platform is only so wide, so I dont want to step off the side. I'll keep it in mind though

Hey OP, question, where is that power rack from?

Um it's made by Body Solid. I bought it used for $200 in almost new condition. It has 3" framing so its very solid. I have adapted it quite a bit though. It's this one:

http://www.bodysolid.com/Home/item.cfm?id=489

Travis Bell
08-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Ah, that's a good question Detard.

You are correct, push the knees out both on the way down and on the way up.

The reason is, pushing them out on the way down will place you in the groove of the suit

Sean S
08-11-2009, 07:06 PM
If the bar wants to slide down when you keep your elbows down, you may need to carry it higher. If you are going to SQ wide in equipment, a higher bar placement will allow you to keep your torso more upright anyway. Between that and pushing the knees out, you will stay more upright and keep your hips under the bar better which allows the support from the briefs/suit to be transferred up through the bar more efficiently.

Detard
08-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for clarifying Travis.

Sean - I've never really been comfortable with high bar position, but i'll definitly give it a try and see how it works out.

Thanks for the help guys

-Dan

Sean S
08-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Even a little higher could help some. Just experiment with it and see if it helps with the bar sliding. Anytime you change bar position it will feel weird at first, so you may have try it for a few training sessions to get the hang of it. From the video it looks like you have relatively long legs for your height, so it makes it tougher to stay upright since your hips end up way behind you when you sit back. I have similar proportions and have to carry the bar high, get my stance as wide as is feasible, and really push my knees out in order to stay more upright through the torso.
Either way, trying to add mass to the upper back is a good idea.

Lones Green
08-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah a higher bar placement should help with your forward lean.

I also say get rid of the mirror.

Sit back more, make sure you're breaking at the hips first

You look a bit squirrely under the weight, keep everything tight and train your core. It may have to do with walking it out

Make sure you're pushing your knees out super hard on the way down, your depth will come easier. Also push them up super hard on the way up to avoid getting injured

I know a lot of this has been said before, but its important enough to be said again

chris mason
08-11-2009, 09:16 PM

I agree with the above.

SELK
08-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Hey man thanks for the tips. In the previous 4 weeks, i've actually been sitting right on the box and deloading the hips, but the box I was squatting to was too high so it wasn't making much of an impact.

As for the lower box thing, that makes alot of sense. Being confident in the hole can make a big difference. Do you suggest doing that geared or raw or both?

I use a low box when I wear briefs (2ply metal ace) and I have no problem reaching it once i get to about 365lbs, if I use a low box and full gear the only way I can make it to the box is to compromise my form. Ive tried using super low boxes before as well, but that can only be done raw.

I have a little bit of an odd squat style, I ride the bar as high as possible and break with my knees. Instead of thinking "back" i'm thinking "knee out" on the way down. The first move I make it to push my knees out. I manage to stay very upright in the hole using this method. Everytime I try the 'hips break first' thing I end up having to do a good morning with my squat, and lowering the bar on my back so it doesn't take off my head.

I would just play around with things until you figure out the style that works for you. I would still be stuck at a 650lbs squat if I kept on using my old squat style.

Detard
08-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Higher bar, knees out, stay tight throughout, lower box, deload to the box, upper back work, core work, and sit back. I've made notes of each issue and i'll try to work them out over the next few sessions. Hopefully i'll be squatting 500 soon!

Thanks guys, i'll post some videos in a few weeks again once I think i've made some progress

lil' power
08-12-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm going thru this also, working on wider squat form.

1) Squat RX video #4 bar placement, working on higher bar placement really did help with forward lean

2) finally figuring out what "sitting" on the box was, not just touching for depth also helped, although working the weight back up takes some time

Clifford Gillmore
08-12-2009, 05:32 AM
Thats a good CD. I like KSE.

You've made some massive gains detard! I do agree with SELK on lowering the box, doing heavy topend stuff on a high box seems to make it harder to make depth on a free sqaut.

Sensei
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Making a more conscious effort to outwardly rotate the hips should help some - experiment w. moderate weights first, of course.

Your set up needs work. 8 steps and a lot of wiggling under the bar after unracking it to set up for the 475lbs - you just can't afford that with maxes. If you get into that habit, it won't magically disappear when you're in a meet w. a monolift.

475 looked better than 455 btw - your hips moved forward a little on the ascent w. 455, I think. Nice job.

Detard
08-13-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm going thru this also, working on wider squat form.

1) Squat RX video #4 bar placement, working on higher bar placement really did help with forward lean

2) finally figuring out what "sitting" on the box was, not just touching for depth also helped, although working the weight back up takes some time

Good to know, i'll give it a go

Thats a good CD. I like KSE.

You've made some massive gains detard! I do agree with SELK on lowering the box, doing heavy topend stuff on a high box seems to make it harder to make depth on a free sqaut.

Thanks man. The playlist is KSE, dragon force, and some metallica. Just happend to be a **** song for the 475 haha.

Making a more conscious effort to outwardly rotate the hips should help some - experiment w. moderate weights first, of course.

Your set up needs work. 8 steps and a lot of wiggling under the bar after unracking it to set up for the 475lbs - you just can't afford that with maxes. If you get into that habit, it won't magically disappear when you're in a meet w. a monolift.

475 looked better than 455 btw - your hips moved forward a little on the ascent w. 455, I think. Nice job.

Yeah my setup isn't very strong. I'll work on that for sure. Thanks for the input Sensei.

cheesedips
08-15-2009, 08:03 AM
r u serious??should be doing more leg extensions and pressdowns...duh..
(please note sarcasm).lol